Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Welcome Committee Another Newbie in the House

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 01:15:17 )
@totalanimefan: Yep! The first song I heard by her was Put 'Em Up but it was around Queen of Hip-Pop and Play that I got really into her. I've always loved the WoWa PV and remember when I was younger being jealous of her hair in a lot of her videos cause it always looked perfect, lol. And IIRC the Queen of Hip-Pop CD came with Pink Panther stickers and a poster, which was cute. I like Past < Future a lot too. I'm not as familiar with her albums after Uncontrolled but I think I have them on my PC. I saw a while back that her discography's on Spotify too, which is awesome.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 01:49:00 )

@Starry: That's a great song! I remember downloading Queen of Hip-Pop and listening to it on my Zune! (Like 2006/2007)
Her hair is prefect OMG. I think she is sooo beautiful. I never bought the real CD, I'm jelly! I do have her Finally CD that I bought when I was in Japan in 2018. I tried to get tickets to her concerts that year but I didn't get picked from the lotto.
Uncontrolled is great! And I think it's also funny because in rl in 2011 I was learning Japanese (finally) and she was learning English! I remember listening to it once I was done with my first year of Japanese studies and I loved the songs but also it was great to hear her sing in English, and I could understand a lot more of the Japanese tracks too. ^^
__Genic is not my fav album but I like it a lot more now. She said that she worked really hard and listened to over 200 demos and choose from there!
The album in 2013 (Feel) is very good and is like Uncontrolled but also it's own thing. I think if you liked Uncontrolled you would like that one.
I remember when her stuff came out on Apple Music and I was soooooo happy! I was almost in tears. I thought now everyone can hear her music.

As you can see a really like her a lot. I feel like her music was apart of my life for a long time. When I was learning Japanese and I was tired I would think to myself, do it so if you ever meet Namie you can tell her yourself how much you love her music. When I was a teen in high school seeing such a strong and independent women really meant a lot to me. When I was going through a tough time in college when my parents were fighting a lot and my (ex-)BF had cheated on me her single Wonder Women had just dropped like that day and I felt like somehow she was singing that song just for me! (Obvs not, but the Universe's timing can be weird sometimes.)

I miss getting excited to hear her newest single or album and I'm sad that she isn't on social at all. I'm happy for her that she is getting to live the life she wants. 26 years was amazing esp for someone in the Japanese industry. I do wish she could somehow tell us she was still alive or something. I think the last time she was in the media at all was like 2019 and I'm like, but what if she has/had Rona! T_T

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 02:37:31 )
@Starry: Oh yeah, I forgot about finding random barf around the house. =n=; Definitely don't want more of that.

So sorry the shows got cancelled on you. That's one of my regrets in life, was I never got to see Linkin Park live, and the loss of Chester really hurts still. Honestly that band was kinda like my gateway band to getting me into rock, because I didn't really appreciate the older rock, and I'm in my early 30s.

As much as I love MHA, I have to rewatch the series because I've only watched it once. xD Katsuki Bakugo is my favorite, and I'm hoping to go see his English voice actor at a con in a couple months! Mugen Train was sooo good, as well as the series for it. JJK0 was really good in theaters as well. I'd just managed to rewatch the series before seeing that movie, but I feel like you wouldn't necessarily need to finish the series to be in the loop with the movie. I don't blame you when it comes to Naruto. xD Definitely too many fillers, but one day I'll rewatch the series sans fillers since there are guides for episodes that aren't fillers. I know Gurren Lagaan can be hard for some to get used to if they're not into older animation style and/or mecha, and honestly normally I'm not much into either of those, but an ex of mine got me to watch the first episode with him on a date and I got hooked haha. There's a couple characters in there that will always be my favorite of all anime characters. As for FMA, I'll rewatch that series as well someday since there's a lot I've forgotten. It's easy for me to forget some things when it feels like I've watched a lot! Have you been to any cons?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 22:39:18 )
@totalanimefan: She really is beautiful! I have all her CDs up to Past < Future as well as a random issue of S Cawaii that I bought cause she's on the cover. XD That's too bad you didn't get the tickets, it would've been so fun to see her live. That's awesome her songs helped you learn Japanese. I never learned much when I tried to teach myself before, but I taught myself how to read katakana and hiragana years ago for the sole purpose of downloading stuff off WinMX, since most users there were Japanese. But actually learning the grammar + kanji is another thing entirely lol. I did appreciate how strong and independent she was amongst all the cutesy idol groups (even though I listen to a lot of them, hahaha), and I wasn't as into the music of the other diva solo female singers at the time like Ayu or Hikki as much as I liked Namie's music

That's a long time to be out of the media... hopefully she's just enjoying living a quiet and peaceful life.

@aisukohi: Linkin Park was my favorite band when I was 13 and one of my gateway bands into modern rock, but my parents wouldn't take me to concerts when I was younger so I never got to see them. I did see Chester when he was fronting Stone Temple Pilots, and I was in the front row and he sat on the rail right next to me and shook my hand during the song. Still, I would've loved to have seen LP.

That's pretty awesome; I watched the first few seasons of MHA in English and the last couple in Japanese. I like Todoroki and Tsuyu. :)
I've seen Gurren Lagaan referenced a lot, and I think it's on Netflix so I definitely plan to check it out one of these days. I don't think the animation style looks bad, but I do see a lot of people that hate older anime styles so I guess that's understandable. I have the same problem of forgetting stuff I've watched too. One of the reasons I prefer watching series that are already completed, otherwise I tend to forget what's happened between seasons, lol!

I haven't been to any of the main anime cons, but when I lived in the SF Bay area I went to the local J-pop Summit Festival a couple times. Though I wasn't watching any recent anime at the time and mostly went for the J-pop music performances and for the other general Japanese culture things. XD I went to my local anime/comic con where I live now a few years ago, but it was small and kind of boring because I wasn't interested in any of the guests. I'd like to go to a larger one one day, but I don't drive so that's kind of an issue since the ones outside of my city are even farther away.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/13 23:14:04 )
@Starry: Aww, that's nice you got to meet Chester and have that experience with him. <3 I didn't go to my first concert until I was 21, not because I didn't want to go to concerts before then, but just never thought to ask I guess? My first concert was amazingly enough at my university's campus (not sure how they pulled that off), but it was with Cobra Starship lol.

I like Todoroki and Tsuyu as well, and have had the pleasure of meeting Tsuyu's English voice actor, Monica Rial, AND got called 'Froppy' by the English voice actor for All Might, Christopher Sabat. <3 That last part happened when I started asking a question directed at him and Justin Briner (Midoriya voice actor) during a panel at MegaCon in Orlando earlier this year. I prefer watching completed series as well, but newer stuff is great too because I like the new ideas brought to the anime world.

A J-pop festival sounds fun, although I'd be lost when it comes to relevant artists. xD I don't drive either, but luckily I have family who does and loves going to cons. ^^; I hope you're able to enjoy some larger cons someday! The biggest one I've been to so far was a 4-day event, but I only got to go for 2 days. It was suuuuper exhausting, but also hella fun! I love going for the voice artist panels and of course the artist alleys, because I love buying art. Recently bought a binder to stick most of our pieces in, at least until we get a house where we can hang some of it.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/14 01:11:11 )

@Starry: I feel like she was on the cover of so many magazines. Wish I could have bought them. They are hard to get in the US.
I saw in another post that you used to live in the Bay Area, me too, in South Bay. I'm in DC now though.
I think that's pretty awesome that you learned Hiragana and Katakana though! Most people can't even get that far. Kanji is just a different beast, at least in the beginning you have to have someone teaching you because it's just a different concept that we don't have in English.
Ayu is beautiful, but I felt like a lot of her songs sounded similar. I do love her song Dearest (from Inuyasha). I also really like Utada Hikaru! They live in London now which I think is cool. I love their comeback album Fantome. Super good. I also love Heart Station. I think they are finally realizing that they have lots of English speaking fans.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/14 22:14:57 )
@aisukohi: I didn't go to my first concert till I was 23. My parents didn't like the bands I listened to at the time.That's pretty convenient that your university's campus had concerts! I've heard of that band but I dunno any songs by them.

Aww, that sounds like a fun experience! I'm bad with names so I'm not familiar with too many VAs, neither English or Japanese. Sometimes a voice will sound familiar and I'll look up the name and be like 'oh, they also voiced ___" so that's where I've heard them before. I think some of the MHA VAs came to a local con here that was a few months ago, but I didn't have a ride. I used to go with my friend, but she has a toddler now so she doesn't have much time anymore. I hope I can go to a big one too one day, though a multi day once sounds exhausting to me too. XD I want to cosplay someday, because I never have before. The little con here that I did go to, I bought a couple art prints from a woman who did really nice watercolor artworks; I got a couple little Pokemon art prints, one with Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar and one with Vulpix & Ninetails. I like looking at the art at cons a lot too. :) I wish I had bought some more because my walls are pretty bare and in need of some art.

@totalanimefan: True, I'm sure she was since she's so fashionable. Shame I can't read Japanese, but since it's a fashion mag there's plenty of fun pics to look at at least, lol.

Oh cool! I lived in the North Bay for a few years, but I moved back to CO where I'm originally from.

Yeah, it's definitely way different from English, the way a kanji can be read different ways depending on what it's combined with, and trying to remember all the strokes. I can recognize some of the more common and simple ones, plus I can recognize the names of my favorite artists such as Namie, but that's about it. Nowadays there's translation apps anyway, so if I do ever get to go to Japan, hopefully I can rely on those a little bit.

Ayu was one of the first Jpop artists I heard, and I like some of her songs but I think part of it is I don't like her voice that much. XD Utada has some songs I like, and they have a great voice, but I just never got too into their music style I guess. I have always liked Traveling, Colors and Wait & See though! And Utada was also one of the first Jpop artists I heard; I remember I heard a Kingdom Hearts CM on TV and Simple and Clean was the bg song, so I looked it up to download. I think they have a lot of English fans who got into them from that game. That's awesome that they're still making music and living in London. :D

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/15 23:58:29 )
@Starry: Glad you've at least been to a concert! Who did you see for your first one? Yeah it was crazy to think my university would host some of the most popular artists at the time, but I don't think they do it anymore. I'd say Cobra Starship was more popular in the late 2000s/early 2010s, but I think they've stopped making music, or at least I haven't heard anything recent from them.

To be honest, I'm not familiar with a ton of VA names either, and had to look up some of the ones I just used lol. The reason I remember Monica Rial is because I've somehow been able to see her 3 times at 3 different cons, and that wasn't even on purpose. xD She's just a really big name out there and is such a nice person! Yeah, it can be hard to go to cons with little ones, for sure. My boy is 4, but he's autistic and will only be entertained for so long before he starts acting up. One day I'd like to try cosplay with him, I was thinking I'd be Sophie and he could be Markle from Howl's Moving Castle since we both kinda look like those characters. <3 Do you have any ideas who you'd like to cosplay as? I've done Chihiro from Spirited Away and also Izumi (aka 'Teacher') from Full Metal Alchemist so far. Thinking of ideas for cosplay for the next couple cons I'm going to... Sounds like you got some nice art pieces! My guy loves the Ghastly/Haunter/Gengar combo, so he's always collecting pieces of those 3. Cubone is also one of his favorites as well as Sandshrew lol. I'm not much into Pokemon, but I have a few favorites from the first couple generations. Lost interest after that. ^^;

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/16 02:14:27 )
@aisukohi: My first concert was The Birthday Massacre opening for Otep! And funnily enough, TBM just added concert dates that included my city at the same venue I first saw them at and I bought tickets. I'm pretty excited to see them again. Yeah, I didn't follow western music around that time so they must have been popular if even I know their name, haha.

That's understandable. I think with both Japanese and English dub VAs, the most popular VAs will be in a lot of different things, especially if it's the same company like Funimation. I'm just glad that dubs are better these days than in the 90s/early 00s, cause even though I don't mind subs, sometimes I'm lazy and just want to hear a dub. A Howl's cosplay would be so cute! I told my friend she should totally dress up her child at a con because kid cosplayers are so cute lol, especially if they match their parent/s. I have played some anime stuff to her child, and it's so cute when she acts out the fights or the transformations. I joke to her that I will make her kid into a weeb like us.

I'd like to cosplay as Sailor Mars, though I might do a casual outfit rather than her senshi outfit because I don't usually dress in tight outfits, plus me in high heels is like newborn Bambi. XD I've also thought to go as a Team Rocket Grunt, maybe take with me my giant Meowth plushie I won at a fair years ago. :3

Aww, that's awesome. There are a lot of Pokemon nowadays so it's a bit hard to keep up, but I feel nostalgic about the gen 1 Pokemon still. The newer games add different versions of Pokemon like Sandslash and Cubone too, so it's a bit different but also familiar.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/17 14:33:19 )

@Starry: she really is so fashionable.
Did you move there for tech? I did.

Yes it’s so different but I too know Namie Amuro in kanji lol
How are you?

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/17 20:26:08 )
@Starry: Oh neat! It's nice when artists return to venues they've been to before. I used to go to this music festival in the area called Welcome to Rockville every year, and several of the artists would return time and time again, which was nice. Haven't been in the last couple of years for different reasons, but maybe next year I'll go.

I started watching anime in dub, but I've gotten more used to sub over the years, especially if I'm not patient enough for the dub episodes to come out. xD There are some series I prefer one over the other. Aww, that's so nice that you can influence your friend's kid. xD I love seeing littles in cosplay at cons. <3

Both of your cosplay ideas sound like fun! I'm not as comfy in high heels like I used to be, but before I would get calluses too, which weren't fun. My feet don't tolerate heels as much as they used to, but maybe if I wore them more often, I could get used to them again. You should definitely take your Meowth plushie if you cosplay Team Rocket Grunt. xD

Yeah I've seen some new versions of old Pokemon, and some look cool, but also it's too much for me to keep up with lol. Do you have favorite Pokemon from newer generations?

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 00:17:10 )
@totalanimefan: No, I moved there because I met a guy online who lived there and moved in with him while we were dating. I miss the area sometimes but it's too expensive, lol.
I'm doing alright this weekend. I've been playing a lot of Stardew Valley lately because I'm close to reaching perfection in my current farm. :] How are you?

@aisukohi: That sounds like fun! I don't think there are any music festivals in my town, but we have a few smaller venues that I like to go to. I haven't been to too many concerts lately though, partially cause I'm bad about keeping up with current music.

That's usually how it is with me too. That's why some series like MHA or Jujutsu Kaisen I started in dub and then switched to sub when I got impatient lol. It's interesting to compare the different versions too.

I don't wear high heels at all, but several years ago I was at my friend's house and we were getting dressed to go to the bar and she suggested I wear a pair of her high heel shoes. I wasn't even drinking yet and I couldn't walk in them at all. Getting calluses is definitely no fun though, and a con would probably involve at least one full day of standing, so it's best to probably plan an outfit that will be comfortable to be in all day.

True, I definitely can't name them all, or probably even half lol. I always look forward to the new gens of Pokemon when they come out though. My favorite newer Pokemon are the Goomy/Sligoo/Goodra evo line and Sylveon. :D

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 00:33:49 )
@Starry: I hope you get the chance to go to a music festival someday because they're lots of fun! Concerts are one of my happy places, but I haven't been going to a lot lately, mostly because I'm terrible about keeping track of them and planning the time off for them. xD

Yes, I usually end up comparing dub and sub in each series and seeing which I prefer. I definitely prefer Demon Slayer in sub but MHA in dub.

I think what gives me the desire to wear heels again is that other people do it all the time, so why can't I? But it'll definitely be a process to get back into it. I feel like the smaller the foot size, the smaller the heel you need because of the incline (I'm anywhere from a 6.5-7 in US sizes). I love platforms though, so those help with taller heels. But yeah, I'm always wearing flats to cons because I dislike the thought of having to change shoes partway through.

I had to look up Goomy/Sliggoo/Goodra, and they're cute! Goodra gives me Dragonite vibes, which I love. Sylveon has always been cute, but pretty much all of the Eeveelutions are adorable. My favorites in that bunch are Espeon and Umbreon. <3

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 05:32:08 )
@aisukohi: I've been to a couple music festivals out of state before-- the Life is Beautiful festival in Vegas and Cal Jam in Cali, and they were really fun but pretty exhausting from standing out in the sun. XD But it's a good way to find new bands to listen to. I used to go to concerts a lot when I had transportation, but now that I don't I haven't been to many in the last couple years, unfortunately. At least I have been to a few this year, and have one more to look forward to.

I don't usually wear any clothes that high heels would go with, so I've never really even wanted to get a pair I guess. XD And I have giant feet (size 10 US women's) so they'd look ugly on me anyways I feel, lol. I do prefer platforms since they add height without putting my foot in a position I'm not used to.

Yeah, I get that too and I also like the Dragonite line. I really like Espeon and Umbreon too! I wonder if we'll get a new Eeveelution anytime soon. I think a dragon or ghost one would be pretty cool. :3

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 16:10:47 )

@Starry: Oh I see. And yes it is really expensive to live there.
Oh nice, I've been playing a farming sim too, but a different one. I've been playing Rune Factory 5 on Steam! I had the Switch version but it didn't run well.
Also the 17th was my bday! I turned 31.
Today I'm going to the Dr cause post-rona I have a high resting heart rate at times. Gotta get that checked out but I'm scared.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 21:57:08 )
@totalanimefan: Glad that RF5 runs better on the PC than on the Switch. I put it on my wishlist, so maybe I'll buy it eventually. I still need to go back and beat RF4, someday after I either figure out what I was in the process of doing or give up and just start a new save. I know I was in the process of upgrading weapons and leveling up my skill before tackling the final boss, but I forgot which weapon I was trying to even upgrade and with what materials, lol.

Hope you had a fun birthday! And hope that your appointment goes well. :s

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/18 22:49:47 )

@Starry: It's so hard in farming sims to remember what you were doing lol. I have that problem when I leave it for a long time. I love played RF4 so much on the 3DS and the Switch.

Appointment went really well. I do have a high resting heart rate, so I have to see a cardiologist but my Dr said that I have an otherwise healthy heart. I was really worried they were going to say I need surgery or something (cause my parents have had it, but they have always had unhealthy lifestyles and I never have).
So issue isn't solved, but I'm so happy to hear I'm otherwise healthy. This high resting heart rate is from long covid. I had Covid in April and my heart rate was really high then too. My Dr said that it's really common with long covid.

Voltie Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/20 01:27:29 )
@totalanimefan: Glad that your appointment resulted in good news! Several of my friends/family members had gotten Covid and some still have lingering effects. I haven't been sick at all since the end of 2019, so I guess I've been pretty lucky in that regard.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/20 15:47:36 )

@Starry: That's great! The only times I've been sick since the start of the pandemic was from my MIL. She is the one that gave my husband and I Rona too. Cause she traveled to us with it, but didn't know that she had it, she thought that it was just a cold, we were around here a lot, so we got a really high viral load and were bedridden for like 10-14 days. Then we had lots of Long Covid stuff. That was in April. Now my husband is fully recovered but I still have the heart thing.
But other than her giving me a sickness, I haven't been sick otherwise because I'm very good about wearing a mask and washing my hands.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/07/20 23:40:26 )
@Starry: Oh awesome! Yeah, that's the thing about festivals is feeling exhausted and gross at the end of the day. xP At the venue where they used to have Welcome to Rockville, there was this field that they put one of the stages that was literally mostly gravel and dirt, which was easy to get kicked up and get caked everywhere on your body, and I mean EVERYWHERE!! I've yet to go to the new venue, which is now in Daytona Beach, and I'm pretty miffed about it because I don't think they'll move it back to Jacksonville, which is closer to where I live. But yeah, I love finding new music through other bands too! Which band are you going to see next?

That makes sense not to wear heels then lol. I think bigger feet can still be beautiful, but everyone's different I suppose, and we are our own worst critics. xP I get self-conscious about showing my stomach in public, even though lots of women my age do it regardless of body type.

I'd love to see a dragon of ghost Eeveelution! Or maybe a bug type, if that's even possible lol. I saw this meme yesterday and thought it was hilarious. xD
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.