Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities A Giveaway for Your Common Needs - Come hangout with us!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/25 23:48:43 )
@Totalanimefan: I was just thinking it's been a while since we had an event lol. I'm not sure what I'd like to see for the spring event considering I also tend to think of flowers and plants in general when it comes to spring. Maybe baby animals? I know we have a ton of animal items though. I'm not opposed to more flower items as long as they're not repeating flowers from what we already have.

@Alorrena: Events here are really fun and they somehow bring everyone out of the woodwork lol. And besides the free EIs, a lot of times the admin team will throw in non-current free items depending on the season. Plus there are activities to do like coloring/design contests, word games, and other kinds of games to help you get currency quickly. Just overall fun times! And I'm sure you've noticed, the EIs here are a cut above the rest when it comes to quality and versatility. I'm so used to sites making EIs that you can only use for a particular season or holiday. Here, they don't do that as much!

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 00:36:36 )

@DreamerZ: Exactly. I need to be able to sleep at night, and having a plan works XD
How's the weather near you? How are you hands doing?

@Alorrena: That sucks. Is there anyone to help you pack to make up for lost time?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 00:38:49 )

@Aisukohi: That's a good point. We didn't have much of a winter event so it's about time we get another. Baby animals and new flowers sound nice. Maybe plants/houseplants would be a more refreshed route. :) I wonder when the next even will take place? What do you like the most about events on Voltra?

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 00:52:46 )
@Totalanimefan: Hello my love! It's been a little while, thought I would stop by and say hello! I also wanted to send you a little something for being so awesome and for literally being the only person on here who bothers to keep me company when I stumble on all the time lol. I do really appreciate having someone from way back when to talk to who still remember who I am haha
Enjoy your presents!

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 01:03:14 )
@Totalanimefan: I'm just not very creative when it comes to new items and ideas, so I'm kinda shot for what else to suggest besides plants and animals for spring. xD The thing I like the most about events here I think are the items themselves because they're always so top-notch quality and versatile. It makes me so happy that our more holiday-themed items tend to be knick-knacks and not entire sets. Nothing wrong with holiday items, but I feel it's a bit of a waste when it only makes sense to wear things a certain season or holiday. For example, I'm almost always using items from the Summer animal set. Other than the items, of course I always love the activity that events tend to bring here.
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 03:58:22 )
@Totalanimefan: My husband. and i could probably ask my roommates, but i probably won't since we really don't have a lot to pack. Mostly clothes and then our books and board games, our dishes (only a few.), and a few other misc. items that just seem to collect on the couch/ coffee table. Most of out stuff is already packed from the last time we moved, so it shouldn't be too bad.

@Mandy Amour: i am in love with your avatar!

@Aisukohi: ooh exciting! I hope it's soon, but also before i find a job so i can devote more time to being active lol I have noticed that the EIs are pretty nice. It's pleasant that Voltra makes such good ones too!

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 04:43:31 )
@Alorrena: Thank you ever so kindly! Ive only changed my avatar twice on here, my current avatar and the one on my profile. Not very adventurous myself haha. Your dark and light avatar is beautiful, I love the way you pulled them together, so angelic!

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 05:11:43 )
@Mandy Amour: Thank you! I had the theme "dreams" in my mind when i made it. I think i change my avatar a lot, actually. I have loads of ideas for it, and i like changing it often. Also, just about every time i get a new item i try to make an avatar with that item incorporated. I've recently discovered the gradient backgrounds, and i've been low key obsessing over how well they tie everything together. Even as i made this avatar i had an idea for another one, but i try to wait a little bit between each change so i have to wait a few more days until i change it again. I really like the versatility this site has with items.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 05:29:07 )

@Mandy Amour: Wow your gift is so generous. Do you mind if I use some of the items as giveaway prizes in this thread?
And I know what you mean, I miss the old people who used to come here too. Lots of lost friends over the years. How are you doing?

@Aisukohi: I'm the same as you, I can't never really think up good ideas but I always like what the staff comes up with. Voltra has the best event items of any avatar sites hands down.

@Alorrena: Oh that's good. I have to pack a 2B/2B place haha. T_T

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 06:14:56 )
@Totalanimefan: i know that feeling. that's what Tyi and i had before we moved to Daytona. We downsize a lot when we move, so hopefully this time we won't. i'm actually hoping to obtain more stuff once we've settled in and his mom has moved out.

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 06:49:36 )
@Alorrena: I honestly wish I had the ambition and drive to create more, but I guess In my case it does make me more recognizable when I have the same one for years on end, I think it makes it much crazier when I do decide to change it up haha. I wish I was able to do it more often, I am just so picky and I find I start one and it always feels almost incomplete? Im horrible for that, so thus far only two have made it into view lol.

It looks wonderful, I do agree its so nice when you find an item that helps you tie things together, and when it gives you other ideas for avatars, that's even better! I think I'm maybe waiting on that one item, so far I just haven't found it yet I guess lol

@Totalanimefan: I have entrusted you to do with those items as you see fit my dear, for yourself or a giveaway here, I will leave that up to you ^-^

Right? so many forgotten friends..I think almost everyone on my friendslist now is inactive or gone, barely anyone online these days. I really only have you left now, which I appreciate most humbly. At least I have someone I remember to converse with about said old times lol someone who knows me from back then, I mean other than Vozzy but he's rarely on when I am lol

I am well. Started my new job at the hospital a few weeks ago and Im loving every moment of it. I feel like I'm able to make a huge difference there, for the people I take care of. Its an amazing feeling. So happy I have this opportunity. How have you been dear? sorry its been a few weeks since I was last on.

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 07:03:54 )
@Mandy Amour: i have started a few avatars that i ultimately end up scrapping because i don't have the right item. Either they don't exist yet, or i just don't own them since i'm still relatively new here. Before i was here i was on menewsha, where i had a similar issue, but the last time i was active there was in like 2016 or so. And then things just went downhill in 2017 i guess, so when i logged back in it was a ghost town, which was a bummer. Then i found a few people on there, such as Ruby and Kent, were now on here, so i made the switch. i couldn't be happier though, because everyone here is so nice, and i get that excitement back when a friend is online or i get a reply. It really gets my brain to make those happy chemicals that it doesn't normally create.

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 07:09:07 )
@Alorrena: Before here I most active on gaia and crysandrea, but crysandrea shut down and I was so upset by that. I saw a few people had come this way and so I followed them here. Ive been here since the start of the site pretty much. I was more active back then than I am now, unfortunately. I work in a hospital, 12 hour days so I don't have much free time, though I always try and pop on from time to time to see whats new and chat in here, spread some random kindness to others lol. I come back here for the few people who remember me from long ago. I still feel like a newbie myself and I've been here since the start, but that's my own doing, if I was more active I would have continued to make more friends here. Now my friendslist has two people who come on still, totalanimefan and vozzy, but I'm always down for new friends, though I only come on now and then so it makes it hard to make said new friends lol

Well I hope you get there love, I know the feeling, I have the items but no time to enjoy or work with them to create anything nice lol besides I much rather give things away to those who will use them lol

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 07:20:44 )
@Mandy Amour: Oh! i was on both of those websites! I LOVED Crysandrea. I was also pretty bummed out when Crys shut down. it was a great community. i was active on there maybe the last year it existed. I was on roliana and one other site, but i don't remember those too well because i never found a true home there. I totally understand the long shifts. It's rewarding work, but the long hours can be tough. (i used to be a caregiver before i moved across the country and worked long hours.) I appreciate the random acts of kindness, even if they aren't directed towards me, because i think the world could use the positivity. I totally get losing friends due to inactivity and finding when you come back that not many of the friends you made in the past are active anymore. That's what Gaia feels like to me nowadays, actually. I don't go on there anymore because the forums there felt weird, and i never really found somewhere to call "home." I was in Towns a LOT when i was a teenager though, and that's actually where i met my husband!

I'm always looking for friends, btw. And i don't expect people to be active all the time either. I tend to stick around to chat with whomever, so by the time people i started talking to a while ago come back, it's like meeting an old friend at that point, even if the encounter was brief <3

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 07:46:22 )
@Alorrena: Gaia is weird now too, I wasn't on there as much as I was crysandrea, and I only joined in 2008 I believe, so it was well into its fifth year of operation before I was there. I miss ZOMG and towns, I used to be in there for hours with friends playing around and enjoying myself. Crysandrea was my home though, I found my place on there more than any other site, I miss the spells, I miss the variety those offered the users and the ability to really create unique looks different from anyone else. I would have to say that was the best site by far. so sad its gone now. I think if I remember right my username on there was Spell, I was so active but then that community was so big that I know for the hundred users id talk to every day, there were a few hundred more online id never spoken too lol

That's good to hear, if you're in here then I'm sure you will see me from time to time. I come in here most often, some times I'm online but just lurking, unless I notice someone pinged me and then ill usually go and look and reply. I agree the world does need more kindness, I think people forget the smallest things can matter the most. ^-^

Oh? that's wonderful! caregivers no matter there place in healthcare are a different kind of people I think. Willing to take on others pain and help in some way, to put their own needs on the back burner to tend to someone else's, it takes a special kind of person for that. I have so much respect for anyone working in healthcare, or even anyone who has a position tending to others needs on a daily basis, physically or mentally

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 08:16:19 )
@Mandy Amour: i think i was on gaia starting in... 2004? maybe? i think i was 12 when i started there. either 12 or 13, so 2004 or 2005. Gaia... turned into something completely different the bigger they got, i think. I was around when they introduced Rally and the other towns like hang out thing, and when they introduced towns 2 it was like they felt like the original was too buggy to fix or something. I had a ton of fun in towns with my friends. I actually just recently reconnected with them because i logged in one day and a girl i used to think was kind of annoying messaged me and said to add her on facebook. So i did because years ago when i left i added two of them on facebook and found her on one of their friends lists, and then they made a group chat, so that was cool. But Gaia itself... i'm never on anymore. it's too weird. I was Alorrena on Crys, but mema4 on gaia and roliana. i had a few friends on Crys, but i can't remember anyone's usernames unfortunately.

I've pretty much made this thread my home. It helps that Total and Z and Aisu are quite active, and there's always something to talk about here. I think when i first started on Voltra, i was pretty shy since i was out of practice on talking to people. It's really nice when people are active regularly and you can recognize them by their usernames. I think i lurked for less than a day before i made my new member thread, and then total said hi and it went down hill from there, and i ended up here! She's pretty awesome and i doubt i would have felt as comfortable here if it weren't for her and Z (Z started around the same time as i did actually. And then because good people bring good company, i've been able to befriend Aisu too. So i'll be here if i'm not at work or sleeping or playing a game elsewhere.

Yeah, caregiving comes pretty naturally to me, probably partly because my oldest sibling has several mental health issues that require a caregiver/24 hours supervision. I did a lot of it in Idaho because in order to be a caregiver you just have to have a CPR certificate and take a class that's like 6-8 hours long to be able to pass medication under a nurse, and the companies send you to the class. In Florida, from what i've found, the most basic caregiving positions available require home health aide certification, and that's i think a 40 hours long class, and i think it would be out of pocket. So far i haven't found any jobs that will pay for it, which is unfortunate because it really was one of the best jobs i've had. In idaho i worked mostly with individuals with developmental disabilities, and occasionally they had physical disabilities too. I think people who work in healthcare at all are awesome because healthcare jobs are so mentally and emotionally taxing. They're sometimes physically demanding too, but not always.

My last caregiving job i actually worked at was in the community living program that worked with TBI patients. In that environment, even night shift (which i was), you really get close to the clients you work with. That was probably my favorite job i've ever had, actually.

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 08:34:51 )
@Alorrena: Gaia is all about the money now, they have made it all about what they can bring in. Not to mention they destroyed the market trying to save the site. I know there were items that were virtually unattainable at the time like the ninja headband and the angelic halo and such, but with any site, there will always be those few items that very little can afford or get. Its part of why people try and join in the beginning and not several years in. Now the market is so saturated that items you would have paid maybe 100,000 for are now going for obscene prices like 1,000,000,000,000 gold which is insane, and that's NORMAL. I just log in to keep my account, I've honestly thought about just giving everything away, it's not like I use nearly any of it lol

It really helps when you have people to talk to on a regular. I come back whenever I can, despite my dwindling friend list I still come on in hopes one day they may come back too. That and I still have like I said Vozzy and totalanimefan here, I come for them too. Im sure one day ill go silent, but before then I plan to give away everything I have. I try and do it slowly now, to help those who are still active on here. So many items get lost because people just leave and id rather see the items go into the community then be lost forever lol. Im always willing to talk, to anyone if they happen to be in here, I don't tend to wander too far these days, messages, posts here and my profile are pretty much it, but I guess that's better than nothing for now lol

I live in Canada, so here based on your description of care I would say you would be considered something like a PSW (personal support worker). You do need education for it here as well, its about 8 months of college to be able to care for the elderly, or anyone with a mental dissability. They do almost everything a nurse does except for administer medications. They spend the most one on one time with the patients and they are the biggest help to the nurses and doctors because they get so much time with each person so they get to know them very well, so when things change or they seem off, the psws are the first to know and let the rest of the healthcare team know. it really helps if people start going downhill or medications arent working, because they can tell when the patients arent their usual selves.

it is very much taxing on all of them, mentally more so but I agree that sometimes physically as well. especially depending on your role, some are expected to watch over 12 patients each and you have call bells to answer, getting them ready for the day, feeding them, the list goes on and on.

I'm surprised there arent any jobs willing to pay, here we don't have enough psws, were always looking for them, to the point they pay upwards of $25 and hour for them because they have to be competitive to keep them and bring them in otherwise they can work anywhere cause everyone needs them and we don't have the supply to meet the demand

Donator — Am Potato Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 09:19:18 )
@Mandy Amour: I totally get that. Inflation on gaia is terrible. i remember before i went inactive that it was starting to get bad. I also remember when they started selling cash shop items. That was along time ago. I went on the other day and saw what the marketplace looked like and it blew my mind. Like, if you're going to have a currency become so inflated that you have to have a new name for bigger amounts in a way that is common, you should just make that your normal, and get rid of the previous values, or make a site wide reduction in the value of items. idk. i think there's a better way to have handled the inflation issue than i can think of, and a much better way than they handled it.

I totally get what you mean by having the items be used rather than collecting dust in an inventory on an unused account. I still have all my items on gaia because of how the marketplace is. it's a bit rediculous, but also if i ever completely quit gaia without any intentions of logging back in, i'd just send all my items to Tyi because he still gets on once in a while. more often than i'd expect, but i don't think he's active on the forums and i know he's not in any of the chat rooms. i think he gets on just to be nostalgic and to change his avatar.

Speaking of changing avatars, i changed mine because i couldn't resist not changing it with the new items you gave me! <3

Yeah, from my understanding a PSW is basically a home health aid. What i was doing in idaho was basically a watered down CNA. i could still administer oral medications (there was a very specific way to do it, and the medication was in bubble packs anyway, so it was easy enough to tell if it had been tampered with or if there was missing medication), and basically just cooked and cleaned and hung out with the clients. Every month the supervising nurse would come to the house and check over all of the books and make sure the medication was being stored properly.

I was surprised that they don't pay for the classes here , too, actually, and that it was so strict for caregiving. There's virtually no basic care giving positions like a PSW here, and the lowest position of care giving jobs is the HHA. google says "To work as a Home Health Aide in Florida, you will need a 40-hour HHA certificate, a 75-hour Home Health Aide certification (certificate), or a diploma as a Home Health Aide through an approved post-secondary school." Which every job i looked at said that you had to already have the HHA certificate prior to employment.

My first care giving job was actually with 8 residents, all of which were mentally disabled adults with various different issues, ranging from one having swallowing issues, so she couldn't take pills (we had to crush them up and put them in yogurt) to being able to have a part time job cleaning tables at the high school i went to (ironically i didn't really meet him until i started working for that company.) he was my favorite cause he was easy to care for. He basically did everything himself, but he couldn't cook for himself or remember to take his medication on his own. That job was basically picking the 7 others up from their adult daycare programs, taking them home, hanging out with them, shaving the guys on occasion, cooking dinner, cleaning up after dinner, and passing medication, and waiting until bed time. Then the one that had her pills crushed would be a struggle because she never wanted to get off the couch. I utilized one of the other residents that she reaalllly did not like (he had personal boundary issues, he liked to touch and squeeze) to try and encourage her to go to her room instead of sleeping sitting up on the couch. And then when they were all in bed i'd write my daily notes, make the sandwiches for their lunches the next day (they all had their own preference for what went on their sandwich, but they ate that every day except saturdays and sundays), clock out, and go to my side of the building (i was also overnight staff, so i just lived in the building, but i had my own 2 bedroom 1 bath apartment area that shared the kitchen.) I had a pager that would go off if i was needed, but i was never needed at night. And if i was, i wasn't paged, i got a knock on one of my 3 interior doors. it was a good thing i was a night owl haha I actually hated that job because that was a lot of people with that many different disabilities for one (non cna or nurse) person to care for. i think i would have enjoyed it a lot more if there was at least one more person working with me so it wasn't so stressful.
Call me Rena (Reh-nuh)! <3 married 02/02/2020
Rena's Quest

Donator — She/her Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 16:24:44 )

@Alorrena: That would be good. I'm going to take some stuff and get rid of it, but the big stuff like the furniture I'm keeping. It's nice and a lot of it is within 5 years old. No longer Ikea stuff. I see that you made a new friend :) lol

@Mandy Amour: Thanks!
I know. There are a lot of people from before the Blackout that I miss. T_T Fozzy is super busy now. I think it's his new job since he's not a student anymore. Although I think you might have made a new friend here in the last day
Wow that's great! I'm happy for you. It's ok. I've been busy too. Had my in-laws over at the end of last month and one of them had Rona. My husband and I have recovered but we have some long COVID going on, it might heal over time. Other than that, live has been good. Like our Spring here is super beautiful and we were able to see the Cherry Blossom (Sakura) before we got Rona.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — V.A.G Posted 2 years ago ( 2022/04/26 18:23:01 )
@Totalanimefan: When I had covid back in 2020 when this all started, It took me a total of three months to finally get back to what felt like "my old self". I was on light duties at work for some time, I just didn't have the strength to lift that much, to move as fast as I had before and just didn't feel up to all the demands they expected of my body. Luckily my doctor understood and believed me that I wasn't feeling myself still and gave me the time to get better. My work constantly tried to get me to do things I couldn't and made me feel bad when I said no. I hope you feel back to your old self soon love, I know how stressful it can be for sure!

Yes I do believe I may have xD which is nice. Gives me more opportunity to chat when I do come on :)

@Alorrena: Oh I like it! so glad you liked the items, honestly Id rather see them appreciated and used then sitting there. Besides, I don't need as many as I have for one person. I was lucky that when one of my old friends left this site, Panda, I got quite a bit of that inventory too so I want to be sure to do the same and share with newer members to keep the items in rotation :)

Yeah that's crazy, in a hospital setting here and psw is responsible for 10-14 patients during the day, and 19-20 at night. Day shift is easier though because you also have their nurses to help you along with clinical externs hired for experience but who can only do the same things as a psw because they haven't graduated the nursing program yet. So really its not too hard most days because you always have the few who are independent and who only really call maybe once or twice a day and that's just for more supplies they might be out of or need. Nights is busy for the first few hours, getting everyone ready for bed and changed, but once they get final meds at 10/11 they fall asleep, then its just doing your rounds, making sure everyone stays dry and is basically still breathing.

Based on what you've done, you would be considered a psw here for sure, we don't let anyone unqualified tend to people in that extent without a psw certificate, or a DSW which is someone trained to handle those with one or more dissabilities or cognitive impairment. Though a PSW can also look after them as well, the DWS just has more direct training working with that population than the PSW who usually works with those who are more physically disabled and less mentally.

All in all, any healthcare is a great job, like I said it takes a special kind of person for sure. Im sad to hear they don't help with funding for those programs, from the sounds of it you are a wonderful asset to that field

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.