Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities A Giveaway for Your Common Needs - Come hangout with us!

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/15 16:56:05 )
@Colin: Same here. I did use the Wheel one from Battle for Zendikar block a bit and ToD for a while in Standard but mostly I haven't really used Chandra. Lili is much more my style lol.

I'm definitely not surprised to hear that they specifically mentioned those two as influences lol.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/15 22:50:02 )
Forgive, O Lord,
my little jokes on thee...

@sorrowthemad: The last Chandra I used was..... Firebrand? Yeah, I think I've only used Nalaar and Firebrand.

And yeah, he's mentioned those two. He's got a LOT of opinions about music. He rips on Nickelback, Creed, Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit, a lot. But his 'impressions' of Nickelback and Creed have had me almost falling out of my chair laughing.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 02:13:31 )
@Colin: Fair enough lol. I kinda like the whole "Walker family" type of decks. Like Tergrid ended up being basically Liliana Tribal for me, and I think I'm already at 4 Chandras I'm trying to work into Prosper lol. Walkers are just awesome and super hard to deal with in Commander, especially when they do so much for your deck vs just being part of the strategy. :)

I can see a few of those but why LP? Even when I stopped liking their music, I thought Linkin Park was pretty awesome and creative. Of course I'm a little biased since they saved my life lol.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 02:53:57 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: Oh, for sure. All my Commander decks have a healthy amount of planeswalkers. It's amazing how much of a target Sarkhan becomes when he hits the table in my dragon deck, lol.

And from what I know, he just... doesn't like their music. Which is to say, he's only ever ripped on them in specific for being rather forgettable in his words, I think... but that was well before Chester's passing, and he hasn't mentioned them at all for a bit. So take the LP one with a grain of salt. Nickelback and Creed are his more common go-to's.

Also, they saved your life, huh?

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 04:28:25 )
@Colin: I don't play with Walkers much usually but since Tergrid I've been changing my mind about using them for synergy. My issue is, well, take Ob Nixilis for example (5 mana, not Commander). His alt does...what exactly in a 4 person game of Commander? Like, drawing an additional card or maybe minusing to kill something is cool but he just doesn't do much. I realize Planeswalkers have been getting a lot stronger as of late (T3feri) or are very synergistic with certain Commanders (LotV with Tergrid, JTMS with Kefnet, ect), but before I started seeing some of these I thought they were kinda underwhelming in multiplayer. Lol. Clearly I've changed my mind since then.

I think criticism of Creed or Nickelback is fair. I can see why he might think that, since LP rose to fame during the Nu Metal rush and was pretty similar to a lot of Nu Metal stuff. What drew me to them specifically was that they did so many different things. Between having a rapper, good distorted/clean lyrics, a DJ, and mixing it all together as well as they did put them a little above some of the Limp Bizkits of the time.

It's a long story, but essentially in seventh grade (right after my sister passed away), my English teacher put on Somewhere I Belong in the middle of a study hall period. I asked her about it and who the band was and she gave me a burned copy of the album Meteora that was originally meant for her fiance. She said "I can burn him another copy, but you can have this." Somewhere I Belong (as well as MANY of the songs on that album made me realize I'm not the only one that feels depression, or thinks about suicide, or completely blows up on someone for no reason and then regrets it. Hell, Faint and Lying From You are pretty much a word-for-word explanation of my relationship with my mother. So, I started to reach out for help, instead of killing myself, since I learned from that album that some people actually get it and I'm not alone. I've burned through a total of four different copies of that album, the burned copy and 3 actual CDs that I bought because I love it so much. Let me tell you, after Chester passed I had a ROUGH several months after that. The man literally changed my mind about killing myself and ended up doing it himself. It was very tough to find out that sometimes even the people that help you through the hardest shit, your heroes, they're just people too.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 04:36:42 )

@Colin: He is. And remember how I said he goes in the house... well sometimes I step in it. T_T

@CooperationIsKey: I found that hanging out with others really does help. It's like I forgot how much fun it can be to hang with friends. ^^;
I am already looking forward to the next Otakon but it's soo far away T_T lol
I heard that skillshare is good for learning a skill. Maybe you should try and find a free limit time trail or something like that and see what you think.
Luckily no cracks yet (I think) but our floor was super freezing during the winter. Like it was 50F when it was about 40F outside. Even with the heating on, and you can feel the lean in the house when you walk on the bottom floor. It feels off. Also an inspector before we bought the house said I can see one of the beams is eroded on the house so you probably need that fixed. I didn't know I needed all the extras until I got a professional out.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 04:37:55 )

@KittyBeary: I'm doing good! I just started orientation for my online schooling! I'm happy bout that. It makes it feel really. I also picked up a webcam today. I need that for my online testing.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 04:59:50 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@sorrowthemad: Yeah, Planeswalkers have definitely changed since multiplayer Magic has become more prevalent. The older ones don't stack up as well sometimes, and then there are the more recent ones that... are clearly more for flavour, or for 1-on-1 matches. I think that's why there are some Commander-only versions of a planeswalker released alongside the standard version when new sets are released.

And yeah, that's a fair overall of LP, I'd say. Also, holy crap. That's... some seriously heavy stuff, to understate it. I'm kinda neutral on LP's stuff, I like a fair amount of their songs, though... but the fact that their music brought you back from the brink is some really cool stuff. Like, that is amazing to hear, and I'm glad it did so.

Also, yeah, I can well imagine that the news about Chester hit like a brick. I remember when I first heard it, I think all I could manage after about 5 seconds of silence was a stunned "....what...?"

@totalanimefan: ....oh, lordy. And I'm willing to bet the foot protection is... not substantial.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 05:08:53 )

@Ruby: I would love to see magnets become more popular. I think they are neat.
It's cool that you got to buy some of those things during 2020. At least something good happened that year lol
@Colin: The only cure is a lysol wipe to the foot lol

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 05:14:29 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@totalanimefan: A lysol wipe, and SCRUB! Like a germophobe!

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 05:18:01 )

@Colin: the wipe has texture to it so it gets it all off lol

Artist Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 05:23:45 )
@Totalanimefan: I actually got them a few months ago lol like, end of May xD my check came in late.

I love magnets, I always get at least one when traveling. And now I get to make my own ^^

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 05:54:14 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@totalanimefan: At least there's that. Still, that's... that sounds like a real hassle, to understate it.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 08:21:36 )

@Totalanimefan:
I don't really have any local friends (lots of family but I don't see them that often sadly) but my roommate and her friends seem to have kind of adopted me a bit despite quite an age gap (my roommate is an old friend of my mom's, lol). It's nice to get out with them sometimes, though I admit with the Delta variant of the pandemic seeming to just be getting worse, I think I might have to start skipping out again.

A lot of the YouTubers I follow have gotten sponsorships from Skillshare so it ends up on my radar a lot. I think it might be worth checking out.

Ah, yeah, preowned homes can bite you in the butt if you're not super careful when you buy. A friend of mine sadly learned that the hard way.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 20:43:55 )

@Ruby: I like to collect them from where I've been too! Which ones do you have?

@Colin: Oh it is. I've kinda gotten passed the anger stage at this point.

@CooperationIsKey: It's a fine line right now between hanging out with people and not catching covid and FL's government does not make that shit easy. I really feel for you. It's unreal what DeSantis is doing right now.
What happened to your friend's house?

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 21:39:59 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@totalanimefan: Well, that's one thing, at least. Still a shame to hear that that's something you even have to deal with. Hopefully it's not... TOO common of an occurrence.

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 21:56:23 )

@Colin: It's common I would say lol
How's your day been?

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — whatever Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 22:19:13 )

@Totalanimefan:
It's damn near dystopian here atm.

Oh, my friend bought this cool old house thinking with a little work it'd be perfect for her and her family, but it turned out to need so much extra work to bring it up to code and stuff that they ended up never getting to live in it before she was forced to sell it.

Please ping me!

Voltie — The Dude Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/16 22:28:19 )
Forgive, O Lord,

@totalanimefan: Oof, fair...

And all right. There's been a break in the weather here, been a LOT nicer since Saturday, which has been a massive relief. How about yours?

...and I'll forgive thy
great big one on me.
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

Donator Posted 3 years ago ( 2021/08/17 01:29:33 )
@Colin: Yeah even just since I started playing Walkers have gotten significantly better.

I can understand people being neutral about them. I do have my reasons for loving them though, and they'll always have a special place in my heart. :)

Yeah, Chester, Joey (more recently), and several others like Lemmy really suck to hear about. They all have a special place in my heart. Chester and Wayne Static especially.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.