Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Ipad or Galaxy tab s7+?

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/7 20:20:10 )
Okay.... I always come to voltra when crap is going on in life but thankfully this seemed like a gen chat thread (finally) that I can make.

I am split between these 2 things. Apple ipad pro 2020 with pencil or Galaxy tab s7+?

My mother has the s7+ that I tried sketching with in clip studio and tried taking notes but the palm rejection was horribly wonky. Idk if there is an option for a "pen only" setting on the tablet itself or only in drawing apps so I figured, someone on here is Android loyal and can give me the details in a way that my non-tech-lingo-fluent brain can understand.

I mainly have experience with apple products. I haven't had a pro yet, due to previously having some constraints on budget. However, I am looking at getting one. I have seen all the note-taking apps I can utilize for university, and have made many an artwork in procreate. I always liked how it worked but I tried out a cheaper version (Ipad 6th gen I think??) to see if I even liked the apple pencil and whatnot and I did.

To be honest at this point I just wanna see what people think. Which is better for art and notes for university? And/or how did you set one up for your workflow?

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/7 20:51:30 )
"Dino Kairu in his natural habitat..

@Lucifera: im currently using ipad pro 2nd gen (prior to 2nd gen pencil) and yea they do have palm rejection for drawing. I dont know about the latest samsung tab and how their palm rejection is working on a galaxy clip but only way to know is to go try it in the electronic shop.

if budget is the issue, i would reckon getting either older ipad pro gen or if you have troubles finding 2nd hand ipad, i suggest getting ipad air 2020. It has both the latest screen type and 2nd pencil, also have option of better keyboard than prev gen. I did intend bought my ipad pro a keyboard cos it is for comic project. I didnt regret it cos back then, the keyboard did help a lot when im doing very heavy usage on clip feature (text) while having panels on it. using full feature of clip back in 2019 is like... eating all my cpu power. it did lag but cos i have smart keyboard, i wasnt suffering as much when i was doing em.

maybe the lastest ipad air wont have the same lag that i had experience. but do mind that ipad pro is design for very heavy usage. so i reckon that the later next gen ipad pro performance is way better than ipad air 2020.

i would still strongly suggest trying them out in electronic store to see and feel if the size is best for ya.

Nomming all da cookies likes nobodys business..." -uwu- - Kairu OC

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/7 21:11:21 )

@lucifera:

this youtuber have tried both versions. i hope his vid might help you decide

[youtube]https://youtu.be/07zZkT1bbrE[/youtube]

Donator — She/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/7 21:14:31 )

@Lucifera: Hey nice to see you.
I'm +1 for the iPad Pro. I believe that they last much longer than other brand's tablets. I have had mine for 3 years now and I still love it. My mom had the same iPad for 6 years and it was still working great for her.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 00:40:10 )
There's something foul about the air here...

@Lucifera:

I kinda have just an inherent deep-seeded hatred for Apple, since they have really shady business practices. So personally I would say go with the Samsung tablet, I've seen really good things about it, but that video Kairu linked is really good and should help with your decision

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

Voltie — she/her Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 00:59:25 )

THERE'S A SAMSUNG TABLET?

-begins researching-

Also, I've had an ipad for a bit now and tbh I kind of love it
except for the fact that it is an apple product and I cannot have my clip studio paint software on it without having to pay monthly :<
so I just use their procreate for lineart/flat colors and then send it over to my pc via google drive, to then shade and detail art on there with my desktop setup. Wish that last part can be portable!

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — He Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 01:01:08 )

I prefer android phones over iphones.. but for tablets, ipads are still better imo
The android tablets are getting better & better, but still not quite there yet

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 01:04:34 )

android tablet by itself isnt bad. I recommend checking them out in electronic store because that is the only way you will know if the tablet fits your needs.

its like when i was initially wanted 10.5 inch ipad pro 2nd gen back then in 2018 but realised in store i preferred bigger. you wont know what is your real need until you saw yourself having one.

as for android tablet, clip has galaxy version the app. only the con is sub. android can be as great as ipad pro.. so it solely depends on which art app are you using.

so far, my judgement about clip on ipad pro has been still proven as good to this year.

Donator — She Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 19:46:27 )
@Kairu: my mother actually has the samsung tablet and it has pretty much no palm rejection unless you are in a specific ap with a “pen only” mode. I have previously tried out a cheaper ipad and liked it but I like how the pro does better.

My thing is I wanna see if there is like, any small details someone from personal experience can say helped then decide one way or the other.

I will be using my new tablet as my main school device.

@grost: the issue with the instant samsung is that this doesn’t really give me much for details on what makes one technically better than others.

I do a lot of art, want to do handwritten notes, and have the capacity to use this for most of my schooling. Current issue with samsung is palm rejection is.... not where I need it to be. However in clip studio there is a “pen only” mode. This doesn’t discount that fact that when i take notes on the samsung i get random dots all over. :(

@Raxton: that is what makes this such a close call! My bug issue is the palm rejection. I could try and use a hand guard to precent this. But my thing is I want to see if there is a fundamental detail like.... maybe one has an arguably better screen or whatever. XD or someone found some sort of cool function the other lacks. Most baseline reviews do a lot, but I find personal users in the day to day are more likely to discover any settings or anything that maybe a reviewer missed.

I like them both in their own way. I sway to ipad more bc i liked using my old one with apple pencil. I just want to know I am giving each an equal shot.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 20:54:06 )

@Lucifera: the video that i linked to ya has the personal experience that you need. he has both tablets (ipad pro and samsung tab)

but as for me tho.. the main question is that pen pressure relates to art. the thing you need to decide first is which app are you gunning for and that will be the deciding factor of your tablet choice.

Donator — UWU/ Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/8 20:56:28 )

https://youtu.be/07zZkT1bbrE

of

Youtube "iPad Pro vs Tab S7+ (Artist Review) - Teoh Yi Chie"

but still i recommend to look at more vids and look at them in physical shops. it might also be that the size or the pen will be also the deciding factor.

edit2:

it seems that palm rejection is your deciding factor. According to the guy that I have linked you the youtube link with, he said that the palm rejection isnt bad on particular art apps in there. despite of all this.. the main question tho is that lets say you choose the best art app for this need. that same art app can be a sub. I chose Clip cos that time 2017 (i realised that i bought mine prior to 2018 ipad pro release), clip was the best and stable art app but its only available on ios at the time. I knew it is sub as well so I chose it anyway. Im still not wrong to this day that Clip has been very good to me. 10Dec update will be a massive one to compete with procreate (added vid record and webtoon template). The sub money didnt really go to waste in my opinion.

if you do choose free art app, that isnt a problem as well, Medibang still does comic wonders (with panels etc) and IbisPaintX does a great job too (and you can still use the same layer files to clip app on your desktop: link: https://www.clipstudio.net/promotion/ibispaint/en/)

whatever suits your needs, your tablet will follow. the dude from youtube said that the palm rejection wasnt bad, its similar to ios. BUT LIKE I SAID, it has to do with particular apps. May it be premium art app or free. that will be your deciding factor if you want to choose with tablet. (taht also said, thats how you can research more in Google: eg: "galaxy tab s7 with clip art review" etc.. something like that.

I hope im clearer this time.

月の兎 ☆★☆ 鹿の光
カイル • WISHLIST

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.