Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat new baby spooders

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 15:23:16 )
it's spider shipping season! mild weather yaaay!

look at the way this g. iheringi unrolled from the shipping vial lol. the spinnerets still have me DYING

i also got the ittiest bittiest a. seemanni (ignore my gross finger please)

and a blurry g. actaeon

all have eaten twice since i unpacked them and are well on their way to becoming beautiful pet rocks. my collection of spiders is getting so big :)

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 16:17:49 )
that little one is tinyyy

how many spiders do you have now?

e
I'm the master of me and isn't the thought enough to lift you off of the ground?

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 16:38:40 )
Cute! I love spiders so much. Thanks for giving me a positive spider post... I've seen too many negative ones. I get all irate.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 16:55:46 )

I appreciate these spider babies.

ALWAYS PING ME

Donator — She/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 17:05:52 )
they are so cute in a creepy way n u n <3

Donator — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/9 21:56:01 )
What fascinating little babies!
Do you have a lot of pet spiders?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/10 00:16:07 )

@kegs: I need that last one. It's so cute

♫Born of graves and left below ♪ Painted ashes, painted snow♫
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/10 17:42:57 )
Pretty little babies! <333
I've contemplated getting a tarantula the last few years, but haven't been able to commit.

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/10 19:29:10 )
@eerie: @Bou: i now have 10!

@Glume: i do too. i try to warn people whenever i'm gonna post them, not just for them but also because i am so sick of the endless "ewww a spider, burn your house down!" responses i get sometimes.

@Count Trashula: @lonelylucid:
haha thank you!

@Bioshock: these babies are all less than 1 year old!

@Amber Lynne: the last one is definitely the most active of the bunch so far. i still don't have names for any of them

@Aisukohi: i would highly recommend a spider - they're SO low maintenance, require absolutely zero personal interaction, don't make any noise, and don't smell. i have to pay way more attention to the crickets and superworms i use to feed my spiders lol.

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/10 20:29:22 )
@kegs: I've not done a ton of research, but do they require specific temperatures or atmospheres? Like heat lamps and stuff? Reason I ask is because I live where hurricanes could come and I'd rather not have a power outage be a major thing against my spider friend. </3

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/10 21:15:16 )
@Aisukohi: most terrestrial species are good anywhere between 65 and 85, and definitely never use heat lamps/mats/anything like that! people accidentally cook their spiders that way since the spider can't escape the heat. the best way is to heat the room, not the enclosure - but that's not something to worry about if you keep your home at a normal human temperature. many species are fine in normal human temperatures. just don't get anything that needs high humidity since those are spiders that generally benefit from a hotter room. look for spiders in these genera: grammostola, brachypelma, aponophelma, tliltocatl

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/11 01:15:54 )
@kegs: Oh well that makes sense. :o I live in Florida, so the room temperature thing wouldn't be an issue since we tend to keep it set to 73.
The other thing I'm unsure about is getting a species that gets large enough to require roaches. Absolutely CANNOT deal with those (but don't ask me why giant spiders are perfectly fine). D;

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/11 18:51:26 )
@Aisukohi: no worries, i totally get it. crickets scare me more than the spiders. i hate dealing with them. a lot of people won't feed roaches because they're afraid so you're not alone :)
you never have to feed roaches if you don't want to. they're just one of the easy feeders so people tend to keep those in conjunction with the spiders. you can absolutely stick to crickets forever, and those are easy enough to grab from any pet store if you don't want to keep them in your home. i didn't keep feeders in my home for yeaaaars.
the way people handle it with crickets is just to throw in a bunch of them at once. a big spider can handle more than 1 or 2 on their fangs. if it's still grabbing them, keep throwing in more! take out any it doesn't grab.

hello again

Donator — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/06/12 02:47:08 )
@kegs: Orly?! That's such a relief that I wouldn't need roaches. ;u;
I don't mind crickets too much. Actually I have a brother who has experience with them since one of his babies (a leopard gecko) eats those. I think I'd really just be annoyed if they found a way out of their container. I don't even mind the thought of mice, though I know those are tricky especially depending on the size of the spider.
I think my favorite spider I've seen so far is the avicularia versicolor. Something about the bottle green and crimson just <33333!
Goodbye, Voltra.
Feel free to add me on Discord: aisu9811

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.