Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature Hoopla, Libby, and Overdrive - Library Apps

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/20 16:46:37 )
In case my fellow readers didn't know, there are library apps you can download that let you borrow library items for free without ever leaving your house! You can read e-books and comics and magazines, listen to CDs, borrow movies, and even listen to audiobooks! You just need to go to your library and request a pin to associate with your card. And it's totally free because it's literally your library on your phone.

Every library works a little differently. For example, my library lets you borrow 10 items per month through Hoopla, but some only allow 5. And it doesn't sound like much, but it's really a lot. I can only listen to about 3 audiobooks in a month's time and read one full trade paperback comic a week, so 10 borrows a month is plenty for me. Every library has a different catalogue, too, so what's available to one person will be different from another, but regardless, even in my small town the selection is huge.

Of the available apps, I recommend Hoopla because it has the easiest interface. It lets you compile a favorites list so you can "bookmark" things to borrow later, and best of all, there is NO WAITING LIST. Libby only lends out so many copies of a book, and if the library only has one copy, you have to wait in queue for your turn. Hoopla has no limit to copies so you can borrow whenever you like, as many times as you like!

Just passing along the info. A friend told me about it last year and it has literally changed my life. Now I listen to audiobooks everywhere - when I'm driving my car, doing chores, taking a bath. It helps me squeeze in extra reading time when I'm not able to have a book in my hands but have time to kill.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/20 17:03:25 )
wow this is great to know o: I'd love to have audiobooks to listen to
if only I had a library to go to haha

e
I'm the master of me and isn't the thought enough to lift you off of the ground?

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/20 18:29:19 )

My library does this! I can also download digital magazines. Sometimes I look through them to pass the time.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/20 22:27:56 )
I love Overdrive!!

My local library is in a big, big city and I can check out 25 if I wanted to. The most I usually have out at a time is 5 though.

I didn't even have to go to the library to get my card. I got my library card for free digitally and was able to log in immediately.

Overdrive is the main way I read books now since the only time I can really read is right before bed and I need the lights off. I turn my phone onto dark mode and read waaaaay too late into the night all without disturbing anyone.

I keep trying to use the audiobooks when I'm running, but it really messes with my time.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.