Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Random art thoughts

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 18:36:15 )

I always wanted to learn how to paint backdrops and landscapes.
But every time I try following a tutorial by myself or using photo refs, I get so lost lmao
I keep trying but then I notice I don't really know how to use most of my brushes strategically, and that becomes something I wanna learn. For CSP

I would
LOVE
to take a class that teaches digital painting. In the future, that is, not right now.
Something where I can have an instructor in person to explain to me things, since learning things online conflicts with my nonverbal learning disorder. Not impossible but very hard for me.

Even though I'm in college I never understood how college works :vanora_xd: My college works differently anyways.
Can you simply select a single class to take to learn a skill for yourself (not for any credit or degree), or would you HAVE to go through a whole course or sets of classes?
This is probably a stupid idea and I should just keep trying on my own or settle for my perpetually unfinished looking backdrops

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 18:37:45 )

*edits post 5 billion times to fix typos*
wtf, me

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 18:59:23 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

No one knows how colleges work these days

I did a basic childish one for mom's lock screen on her laptop
And painted another but you still won't see every blade of grass level of detail in that one

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 19:25:15 )

@kitalpha hart:
Hahaha I kind of want to see them <3
I rely on lineart a lot. Which isn't a bad thing, but I haven't found a good style for backdrops to make them not look really flat and boring.
I would like to learn more for texturing and shading

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 20:07:08 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Jolly: the painted one I don't have anymore, I donated it to the sole charity that helped with my cancer bills, but on my insta I have a pic of it
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiYet6PHRdz/?igshid=16qks1lqite5p
Or technically two because that was my old phone
Could've sworn I had a single shot image of it tho
https://i.imgur.com/M53Nrim.jpg
Lockscreen

Put ya guns awn!

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 20:16:58 )
@Jolly: You can follow along with Bob Ross tutorials. The concept is pretty much the same. You can take classes classes outside you major as an elective. Most colleges will allow you to take classes for non-credits. We usually had a few people in my painting/drawing classes that were just there to learn. You might check if your area has an art guild too. There are usually local artists holding 1-2 classes every month for significantly cheaper

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 20:26:40 )

@kitalpha hart:
Oh I love those <3
Thanks for showing me!

@lilykin:
Bob ross videos would be difficult for my brain to translate into digital art. I know the concepts are similar enough but... I think that's just where my mind doesn't work very well with tutorials in general. I learn best when I have an instructor that I can speak with and ask questions, or to guide me in person.

Thanks for those suggestions <3 I'll definitely look into them! I finish my current college stuff in 4 months so it'd be nice to see if I can do this while I save up to move.

Voltie — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 20:44:23 )
@Jolly: No problem! The art guild can be a great local resource. The ones I've encountered are always excited for younger folks XD
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Ping me, I'm easily distracted

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 20:53:46 )
I have no advice just want to sympathize about how difficult learning digital painting can be. I gave up after realizing my free software doesn't do what my mind wants lol. It can vary so wildly between people since the equipment can be really different and it's such a new medium, relative to basically every other thing. But I know you can totally do it if you put in the time.
Best of luck!
Ping me

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 21:30:52 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

@Jolly: you're welcome
I think the painted one was 48x16?

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 22:16:20 )

There are some places that will let you take a course just for fun and personal development, but it depends on the school and honestly you may not get a quality class either. (I've just had a lot of bad experiences with classes like that where the teacher didn't really know what they were talking about)

In my opinion, you'd be better off either finding tutorials online or making friends with someone that's good at it and picking their brain lol. Also sometimes just watching someone else do it can reveal a lot about the process and there are a lot of streaming artists out there. Find one that does what you want to do.

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/16 23:01:05 )

@lilykin:
Hahaha hopefully! I always have a hard time fitting into groups or club-like things where I live. People get really cliquey, even older folk.
But the artists here tend to be much more open minded and pleasant so it might be just what I need <3

@eruca:
Yes, I empathize with that in a sense! Most tutorials and classes require photoshop. But I know that Clip Studio can do many of the things that photoshop can, I just might have to do a little tweaking of brushes and settings. Regardless I gotta learn how to color well in the first place XD

@priestess of pie:
Yeah and you're very right about that. Even the course I'm taking right now has a bunch of numbskulls in it, and I paid 20 grand for them lol
Streams sometimes help me a lot, but more often I just get overwhelmed by them. I've been trying this for 10 years already lmao But if there is no other option that works, I have no choice but to stick to my own devices and maybe when I'm 80 I'll finally get it down

I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/17 16:57:10 )

@Jolly: Well, practice makes perfect as they say, but I've yet to meet the serious artist that is actually happy with their work. There's always room to improve.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/17 20:46:20 )
Man I wish I could draw. I just do stick figure guys fighting with laser swords. It is pretty cool but very basic.
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Voltie — They/Them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/20 18:30:19 )
There's something foul about the air here...

I'm mostly self taught, so my only advice is to just keep going with it. Some things you just learn with practice, since a lot of stuff won't make sense right when you're starting. I would say just spend some time messing around with brushes on a blank canvas until you find some stuff you're comfortable working with.
The materials page for CSP has a whole buttload of brushes made by users if you some more brushes to mess with.
I can't give advice on the whole landscape thing since I'm still barely getting the hang of it.
I'm sure there's art classes outside of your college, just look up local digital art workshops and see if there's any near you

...ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.