Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Child of the 90's? Come inside!

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 04:12:36 )
Welcome to nostalgia corner all you lovely children that grew up in the early 90s. I'm going to stuff you in a wayback machine and we can remember all the good shows that were on TV around the time of our youth!

If you remember any of these shows/cartoons let me know! Some that I'll list have made a comeback, so you can watch them now on like Hulu or Netflix, but we'll see if you remember some that are a bit more obscure.

In the early 90's the Disney channel we know and love (maybe not so much anymore) was by subscription only. Once in a while, they would give you a free week preview which showed movies and some children shows. Now we taped a lot of the movies that showed during the preview, but I remember there were a few shows that I caught during this time. I'll also list ones that were aired on ABC instead of just the Disney Channel.

- Under the Umbrella Tree.
- Fraggle Rock.
-Dinosaurs
-Adventures in Wonderland
-Brotherly Love

Nickleodeon still exists today as a channel for children, but back in the 90s there were plenty of shows out there that are cult classics today. But before 1991, when SNICK premiered, there were some shows out there that were on earlier for younger kids.

-Eureka's Castle
-Fred Penner's Place
-Gulla Gulla Island
-Today's Special (technically 80's, but I must have seen reruns)
-Sharon, Lois & Bram's Elephant Show
-Hey Dude
-Roundhouse
-Weinerville
-Space Cases
-The Journey of Allen Strange

Of course here's the list of the SNICK cartoons/shows.

-Rugrats
-Doug
-Ren and Stimpy
-Rocko's Modern Life
-All That
-Kenan and Kel
-Wild Thornberries
-Hey Arnold!
-Rocket Power

If you remember any of these shows, or have one that I missed, tell me! I'd love to discuss the past with ya'll.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 05:41:56 )
=== A wanderer wanders from place to place ===

I remembered only the old Nick shows you've mentioned above except Doug, Ren and Stimpy and Rocko's Modern Life since I've never watched those shows as a kid even though I'm more of a 2000's kid ^_^;

The only 90s shows I enjoyed the most are Swat Kats, Powerpuff Girls (not the reboot lol, the 90s version) and Gargoyles.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 05:47:01 )
@ChiffonOrange:

Oh yeah I remember Gargoyles. Oh and like Duck Tails and Tail Spin and such. I didn't really watch those much. Nickelodeon was the channel we watched the most when I was growing up.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 06:01:13 )

@Crystalkitsune85: I see. *nods* I tend to watch on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon when I was a kid

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 06:19:52 )
@ChiffonOrange:

Well then if you're a child of the 2000s, you should remember Zoog Disney then? With the music videos they played of like N*sync, Backstreet Boys, Christina, Britney, etc? I remember that era. You would of seen Famous Jett Jackson, So Weird, and stuff like that then?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 06:30:37 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Hmmm... I don't think I've watched it before :o Aside from knowing some 2000's popular singers. Ah, I forgot to mention that I live in a different country (sorry) and rarely watch live action shows, though I kinda like watching That's So Raven and maybe Lizzie Mcguire ^_^;

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 06:37:34 )
@ChiffonOrange:

Zoog Disney was Disney's attempt like starting in 1999 I think, to appeal to teens.

There were these 'robot' characters that had personalities and stuff. They were basically the commercials during the early afternoons, in between the shows. I believe That's So Raven and Lizzie McGuire came after Zoog kinda went defunct. Did you watch Even Stevens too? That was at the same time. Maybe Kim Possible?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 06:43:56 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Ah, I see. *nods* Hmmm... Even Stevens. *thinking* I only saw its main theme song though ^_^; and oh, I used to watch Kim Possible as a kid and was quite obsessed with it! Including Lilo and Stitch tv series, American Dragon and a few :o

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 07:09:46 )
@ChiffonOrange:

I really miss the quality of programming around the early 2000s. The shows they have on now, are really dumb. The last thing I watched on Disney was Girl Meets World, only because I grew up watching the original show it was spun off of. Boy Meets World. I wanted to see how the old characters aged in this show that were about their kids. It wasn't bad, it just felt...super repetitive with the story. Riley wants to be like her dad, wants to do good in the world, but feels like she can't compare, and then the triangle between her best friend and the cute guy they both like...it was actually annoying at the end because by then, I didn't give a flying freak who got the guy. It was all like Riley likes the guy, but likes her friend more, so she pretty much is like "Ok here you can have him, I'm not going to stand in your way." And then best friend is like "But you like him, so I'm going to let you have him." Very. Annoying. It definitely didn't come close to the same kind of growing up they characters in the original did. That because they had more time, since it was a longer series, and because people knew how to write programs back then >.>. But anyway I went on a tangent.

Shows of the later half of the 90s and early 2000s had better quality. The shows were engaging, the characters where well fleshed out. The episodes made you want to keep watching. With society becoming dumber because of advanced technology, the zoomers need shows that are simple, that insult our intelligence. What do you think? Do you think shows today are more idiotic and simpler then shows of the past?

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 08:36:26 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Ah, I see. I didn't care about love triangle considering how popular that trope(?) is unless it's well written. And seeing the characters age is actually quite refreshing to be honest :o I don't think shows nowadays want their characters to age up and have more development.

Mmhmm. True. *nods* Hmmm... In my opinion, shows nowadays are pretty dumbed down or just dull. Although there's nothing wrong with being simple but too much simple can get boring rather quickly. There is this show I used to watch is called Big Hero 6 The Series but dropped it after watching about only four episodes due to lack of interest.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 09:10:53 )
@ChiffonOrange:

Yeah love triangles can be done well, but ones that just keep going around and around gets very irritating. There's a good way to do them, and an annoying way, and Girl Meets World, did just that. I don't even watch Disney anymore. I don't even know what's on there anymore since I don't really watch TV anymore. I usually watch just Youtube videos or old movies online.

Big Hero 6 was better as a movie. I kind of don't like it, when a studio whether it's Disney or whatever, makes a movie and then later they do a series based off of it. Reason why, is because the quality of the show is diminished greatly and they don't always get the same voice actors to play the roles, so it's jarring. I tend to avoid series based off movies for that reason. Sequels are often horrible too. I've seen waaaay too many movie sequels that just....shouldn't of existed.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 10:41:46 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Yeah, the whole love triangle can get really old lol, and I feel the same way as you do, Crystal. I would too watch Youtube videos or find some old cartoons or rarely movies to watch online :o

You're right, I do think it would be better off as a movie than a tv series tbh, and what I dislike about the tv series is they had another female character that is around the main character's age (nothing's wrong with that) and I fear that they would force ship them together as a couple instead of just friends or rivals Dx that alone would make me question myself why

And true about shows based on movies, and I personally think sequels tend to have poorer performance than their first film unless they're surprisingly good haha. Most movie-based shows tend to somewhat retcon the lore or plot, or adding so many characters to the point where it's impossible to count them all and such.

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 12:03:17 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Look at those paid channel shows. I had bunny ears growing up, aka free broadcasting only, so I was basically limited to PBS Kids
Some of these will also be early 2000s

Sagwa the Chinese Cat
Zoom
Cyberchase
Dragontales
Sesame Street
Teletubbies
Barney
Arnold
Magic School Bus
Mr. Rogers Neighborhood

Put ya guns awn!

questShop

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 18:35:38 )
I mean I'm technically a child of the 80's but I still grew up on all of this nonsense. I never let it go either.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Fox Lady Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 21:15:15 )
@ChiffonOrange: The only movie sequel I like currently better than the original, is Frozen 2. I saw Frozen before it got super commercialized and it was decent, but the fact that Elsa and Anna were plastered on everything made me hate it so much. Anything that usually gets super hyped up as a movie (Like Twilight and Hunger Games) I get tired of it before I even see it, so then I never do.

@Kitalpha Hart: I watched a few of those growing up too. Mostly Sesame Street, and Mr Rogers Neighborhood. Barney was a bit too childish for me when it came out, and I didn't ever watch Dragontails or anything. I did watch Wishbone, the show with the dog on it. That was funny. I even used to have a Wishbone plush of him dressed up like Romeo or something like that.

@Glume: I technically was born in 85, but the first 5 years I wasn't cognitive enough I guess to retain anything. That or I didn't watch much TV back then. I just remember more of the stuff from 90's onward.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 21:55:47 )

A the 90's. I was born in 88 so. I remember the snick ones. Then we also had shows like Saved By The Bell and Sweet Valley High.

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 21:58:15 )
Caillou *sweats profusely*

im a 90s baby but the only shows i can remember are from 2000s or from japan. lmao

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 22:18:38 )

@Crystalkitsune85: Ah, the Frozen craze lol. I remember how it used to be fricking everywhere I go. I didn't saw the movie either since I didn't like the finalized concept tbh, and yeah *nods* any movie or show being hyped too much usually ends up rather tiresome.

@Eruca: I only saw few clips of Caillou on Youtube haha, never watched that show as a kid ^_^;

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 22:57:23 )
@ChiffonOrange: Caillou used to ignite such rage in me. It was so wholesome...
Ping me

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/14 23:00:45 )

@Eruca: Oh my, I guess lots of people don't really like Caillou that much :viosweat: I also noticed you mentioned you only remember shows from 2000s or anime in general :o

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.