Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Stupid COVID...

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 02:02:40 )
I know it's serious in some ways and just an annoyance in others. But I'm really bummed my university is swtiching to remote learning because of this. I loved going to my biology class and being able to talk to my professor and ask questions and see my friend.

I started to listen to the audio on the slides and she's just so adorable. XD she started out with literally "I rally do miss all of you!" and I'm just like aweeee... Stupid virus.

Somebody better deal with this virus.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 02:10:55 )
My distance learning classes start tomorrow, and I am anticipating the worst >>;
Most of my teachers are not prepared to teach classes online. I think most of us are not prepared to HAVE classes online.
I was taking classes on campus so that I would stay focused and have to be there. I'm afraid I'm going to get distracted now.

Here's hoping COVID-19 dies soon so that things can go back to normal, among other benefits lmao

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 02:15:09 )
@Booderdooder: Same! Technically classes for me resume tomorrow officially, but there's no extension on finals. My art history class has completely ended, with no more exams going on for that one, so one less to worry about. But still...

I also took them in person specifically for accountability. It's so saddening. =( Eventually this virus shall be killed but for now I'm just so sad. =(

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 03:16:10 )
@Alethna: I would almost prefer that, if I'm being honest. If they just gave a partial refund or something for our fees and then let us come back when it's safer or something, I'd be so happy. But rn there's almost no point. =\

Donator — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 06:06:21 )
All of my classes are already done online, so while all the in person classes get an 8 week break before going strictly online, i didnt
SO I still have to worry about mid terms, and people taking classes in person have them postponed

Im only a little salty about it

Non binary | Pansexual | Taken
02/06/20

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 07:51:00 )
@Kingslowpoke: Yeah, I still technically have finals but just got a few days for profs to prepare the transition. Lots of classes are just like "here's your grade. Bye." xD

But tbh, I get it. xD Wish you could have a few days/weeks off too.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/19 14:23:27 )
I hear ya! I don't mind staying at home, I like it in fact cuz of my social anxiety, but I am now trying to homeschool a 12 year old whp is treating this like a break and it is hard for me to get him to sit down and do his work for the day the teachers send.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 00:00:22 )
My kids' college classes have gone to online-only... after extending their spring break by a couple of days (presumably to get things in order). Fortunately, this works for them, but I understand it doesn't work for everyone.

@macsen191: I am a veteran homeschooler (neither of my kids have ever been to a conventional school). It sounds like you're doing virtual learning dictated by the school. That's cool - and it's easier on you in some ways! But it should be expected that there is going to be an adjustment period and a learning curve for the kids who are used to being in a brick-and-mortar building for their lessons. Is there no leeway for this? As a parent, it can be hard. The best advice I can give is to treat it sort of like you'd treat any other chore or responsibility... "do your schoolwork and if you don't there are repercussions" and "if you get your work done, we can do (something fun)"....??? If you want to chat, please feel free to PM me. I managed to get my kids through high school and in to a dual-enrollment program, fully homeschooling.

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — Lil' Birb Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 00:27:16 )
Online classes suuuck haha!
I much prefer going to school and actually seeing people haha! I'm so glad that my program is still kind of running and we can go to school sometimes lol.

I'm just upset that I won't be having a graduation with my friends and family after working my butt off the last 7 years..... :/

Art by Uncledaddy!

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 00:58:18 )
@Frossy: I wish that was the case. Our art class is barely 10 people average but we still can't attend? I paid studio and lab fees and everything so that's a minus. (typing as I am in the webex meeting for my art class which is like... Why? xD Why even continue?)

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 04:42:34 )
How do you even do art classes online?
@Lucifera: i mean, sure the instruction can be delivered online but 70% of it is being in the space surrounded by the people using the materials. Can't get that online, it makes no sense!!

The thing about a shared studio like that though is even if you're less than 10 people, if classes before you have someone infected, the covid19 virus can suspend IN THE AIR for 3 whole hours. Which means danger for anyone that comes into the same enclosed space later. Like, I get that that's a concern, but it's not really a studio art class unless you're actually able to make art.

Just my unsolicited opinion.

@Frossy: wow, what were you working on for 7 years? That's some dedication.

@Wildfire: totally unrelated, but what do you think about montessori schooling? I only ever hear people compare it to conventional schooling...
Ping me

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 04:53:38 )
დ დ დ დ დ

Aaaah I can't imagine doing all classes online now like a lot of students are being forced to do. ID

This virus is just mostly impacting my work schedule since we have reduced hours. But other than that I guess I'm lucky that it isn't impacting my daily life too much since I don't do much besides go to work and go home lol

დ დ დ დ დ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 05:57:23 )
@Eruca: There's this video meeting thing called webex we used. And we sent in photos of our finished works /works in progress and sketch pages and she screen shared them. Not the same as being in class at all tbh. Lol.

I get it, but like, unless we are going to the studio, this class should honestly just end. xD like this assignment should be the last one, period. But that's not happening I guess.

@Kairie: We have reduced hours at starbucks as well. I think I just don't mind it or find it impacts me because a lot of partners are pregnant or at risk, so they are getting catastrophe pay and EI while we pick up their shifts. =P So everyone can still get paid.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 05:59:04 )
დ დ დ დ დ

@Lucifera: ahaha that's how it is at my work, we were so short on people and now we have just enough. plus I'm the only manager so I'm guaranteed my hours, but we're sort of getting rid of all our minors since our store is only open like 8 hours now vs the usual 12. ID

დ დ დ დ დ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 06:57:18 )
@Kairie: Makes sense. I am enjoying how many different shifts I can pick and choose from right now. xD obviously I haven't taken any just yet because school is still running but still. =P When it's all over and done, I'll be able to pretty much arrange my own schedule. xD But yeah, I'm sad things are going down but at the same time, glad folks are conscious of health.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 07:00:24 )
დ დ დ დ დ

@Lucifera: Ahaha you'll be able to pick up all those hours. xD
Yeah I'm happy people are taking care to be safe during all of this.

დ დ დ დ დ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 07:08:06 )
@Kairie: Yesss I am so excited to finally be making some decent cash again, be able to collect makeup and skincare this summer. I'm planning on investing in one of those micro skincare fridges. The ones that are just big enough to hold a few serums and whatnot. They are like 50$ and I am just like... Cold serums, nice cool eye masks... It sounds so refreshing and just... ugh. xD I'm daydreaming of all of this even though I know it's going to be excessive.

(wow that got super rambly) but same. =D

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 07:09:46 )
დ დ დ დ დ

@Lucifera: Ooooooo those exist? :o
Stupid question but is there a difference between those fridges vs a normal one in terms of putting product in it? (pls forgive my stupidity)
also I realize this is off topic slightly, haha.

დ დ დ დ დ

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 07:23:42 )
@Kairie: Completely off topic tbf. xD But I am honestly just happy for conversation. Trying to force myself to art rn. xD But the main difference is size. Mini fridges usually are like, still pretty large. These are small enough they can sit on a desk and not take up that much space at all. So honestly, function wise, not much difference. But size wise, big old difference.

Picture of the thing.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/20 07:27:15 )
დ დ დ დ დ

@Lucifera: In my defense this is general chit chat so slightly off topic is okay. xD
Oooo I see I see. It's a cute little fridge! O uO So they could be used for like Lush's face masks and stuff, I see I see.

დ დ დ დ დ

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.