Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat What is something that you would kill to be able to do well?

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:03:43 )

@booderdooder: IDK why our generation is so bad at this. Anxiety, disassociation, and executive dysfunction are at all time highs. Sadly the pills only help, they're not a guarantee. More of a support.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:06:49 )
@Priestess of Pie: It's something I've thought long and hard about, and for me, I think it was how I was raised.
My parents were amazing, don't get me wrong, but between them cushioning me and school not really teaching
me how to go out and be an adult, I'm just too uncertain about making my own decisions?

Like one day I just woke up and decided to go back to school, so I drove to my local community college and asked
someone how I enroll. And then did it the same day. But those spurts of motivation are FEW and far between.
I'd be more proactive in doing things if I was more confident that what I was doing was the right thing to be doing.

Like TAXES. What am I looking at.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:16:28 )

@Booderdooder: Ah, same then. I also waffle over indecision. Even though I've been independent for SOME TIME now, and have learned how to do many things, I still just... procrastinate. I guess it's just a hard habit to break.

Taxes aren't too bad if you just have wages. It only gets complex when you have to start figuring in big life events, large purchases, you are self employed, or if you just make a lot of money.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:20:37 )
@Priestess of Pie: I wouldn't say I was ever fully independent? I went from living with my parents to living
with a high school boyfriend, and then living with a high school best friend, and then ended up back with my dad.
Even if I made enough money to afford my own place, I think I would be too overwhelmed taking on home ownership
without any experience. The internet can only teach you how to do so much >>;

Taxes aren't tooooo bad, but I have wages and insurance and grants and I'm way too afraid of screwing something up in the process.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:24:35 )

@booderdooder: You got me there. I was previously living with my boyfriend at the time. I am currently living with my parents until I figure out what I want to do next. I'm fairly certain I could live on my own renting an apartment, but there is safety in having a roommate you can trust. That being said I'm also looking into home ownership again because my first go around was a disaster. You're right to be wary. There's a lot to consider.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:28:51 )
@Priestess of Pie: I would love to have a place of my own because I. Love. Silence.
But I'm also a bit of an extrovert, so being completely alone in my house would drive me insane.
If I had my own place and could afford a pet, I would probably be in my own personal paradise.

What happened the first time you had a home of your own, if you don't mind my asking?
When I was living with a boyfriend for a couple years, it was us and two other male roommates.
And it was a NIGHTMARE. The house was always disgusting and I felt like I was suffocating there.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:35:18 )

@Booderdooder: We (my boyfriend and I) had bought a house together but we weren't really aware of all the things to look for. Things that SHOULD have been caught on the inspection but, us being first time home buyers with little to no experience in home buying, went with the inspector the realtor recommended to us. Don't do that. They're trying to sell the house. You want someone who is going to point out every flaw. So anyway we ended up having to replace and remodel a lot. It was pretty exhausting and very expensive.

And yeah, the roommates and their responsibility level can make a big difference. If they're not cleaning up after themselves it turns into a pig sty very quickly.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:43:06 )
@Priestess of Pie: Luckily the guy I'm with now has worked in construction, so he knows good craftmanship and what to look for.
We've been together 2 years and may move into a place together some day, but we are taking that veeery slow after our previous experiences.

My first roommates were the horrible early-20's dudes, but my second was my high school best friend. I thought she would be
a safe bet, since her parents really set her up for school and financial support, so I figured she was reliable.
She broke the lease three months into having a place together because she wanted to move in with her new boyfriend that
lived literally three buildings down from us. She could have just walked one minute to see him, meanwhile I had to be uprooted from
our home, quit my job, and move back in with my dad in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say, I don't want anymore roommates. <<

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 16:48:46 )

@Booderdooder: Oh no, I feel you on that one. I also was recently uprooted but thankfully didn't have to relocate very far. While I don't abhor the idea of having roommates, I want to do so on my own terms. I want to be sure I can afford to live in a place on my own should anything not go according to plan. But having someone to get rid of dead bugs for me and feed my cats when I go out of town is a very appealing scenario.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 17:44:05 )
@Priestess of Pie: Oh having someone to deal with bugs is a big must, you just changed my mind about roommates immediately.
My boyfriend gets stinkbugs and spiders in his place, so we have to keep a vacuum out to suck them up with the hose
because neither of us like touching them. The difference is, if I see one, I will run and scream. He has more composure than I do...

I did like the set up my last roommate and I had, at least. Separate bedrooms on either end of the hallway, with a spacious living room/studio
as our common area. If I got lonely or bored, I could sit in the living room and she would eventually come and join me and watch TV.
As much as I hate the stuff she did to me, I did love her as a friend. It'd be nice to have that with someone I can actually trust this time lmao

I see your cats are in your banner(?) How long have you had them?

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 18:06:42 )

@Booderdooder: Yes I have crippling fear of dead things so I can't even deal with the dead bugs.

And yeah my plan currently is to possibly buy a house and rent rooms to some very good friends. I just have to find the right house and get my financials in order.

Tumbleweed I've had for 8 years and Mallow for 7. They're good good boys (if not a little needy).

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 18:10:33 )
@Priestess of Pie: Oh, it's a fear of dead things. Do you fear bugs when they're alive? I wish I could like them,
but something about them terrifies me. I think it's because they're so unpredictable? And I hate when they can touch me.

The icons of your cats remind me of the boys my best friend had. They were brothers from the same litter, but one was magnificent with
a long, luxurious black coat. And the other was a little ragamuffin with random fur colors and kitty dandruff. He was my favorite, though.

I haven't had a cat since I was little, but I'm dying to have a nice lap cat now ;-;
Are your boys very cuddly?

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 18:16:04 )

@Booderdooder: I don't like bugs touching my skin, but I'm not afraid of them necessarily. Mostly I'm just "you shouldn't be here" at them. But yeah the jumpy ones especially freak me out because I'm afraid I'll squish them. Same will small reptiles and amphibians. I just don't know what they're gonna do.

And yes, my boys love to cuddle. They're very sociable toward people and always want to be in the room where people are. Tumbleweed is a little finicky about how he cuddles so you have to be sitting in just the right way and he has to be in the mood. He does sometimes like to be held though. Mallow is friendly to strangers but isn't a lap cat until he gets to know you. With me though he loves to cuddle in bed and will often let me hold him like a teddy bear.

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 18:25:16 )
@Priestess of Pie: Aww, they sound like such good boys ;-;
I have a feeling Tumbleweed would be my favorite. He sounds like a picky prince.

I've got two dogs at the moment. One is a rescue black lab, but he looks like he's gotta be mixed with a rottweiler or doberman.
He's got looooong legs and some reddish color to his feet and face, and his tail is docked from when he was a puppy.
He must have looked more like whatever the other breed is when he was little. I can't imagine docking a labrador's tail...
Since he's a rescue from a bad situation, he's pretty wary of people, especially men. But he's a sweet and cuddly boy to me and my family.

The other is a labrador/australian shepherd/pitbull mix. She's got a big boxy head and airplane ears. She's ugly in a very cute
and unique way lmao. She's a moron but a very sweet girl.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 18:46:47 )

@Booderdooder: Yeah that's Tumbleweed. I love him to death but he's definitely too smart for his own good. He never plays with toys, but if you try he'll just watch it and you. He only does bad things when he wants something, but sometimes we can't figure out what that something is. He's pretty special needs though since he has to take medication twice a day to keep his stomatitis under control so THAT'S a challenge. He's a very finicky eater too so sometimes giving him his medicine is difficult since if he won't eat it with his food I have to use the syringe and he HATES syringes, especially since is mouth is so sore. He's sweet though and quick to forgive.

Mallow on the other hand is a big dumb baby. An hour or two before dinner time he'll start meowing and won't stop until the wet food is provided. When it's not dinner time sometimes he forgets there's dry food in his bowl and you have to show it to him. He constantly knocks things over with his tail. If you flip him on his back he's completely docile. He's completely capable of playing on his own and a hair tie will keep him occupied for hours. Also he will only drink water straight from the sink because he's spoiled.

And your babies sound so sweet. I'm glad they found a good home.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/19 19:24:50 )
@Priestess of Pie: Oh my goodness...Tumbleweed is a prince...I love him...
But Mallow is extremely relatable to me. Big Empty-Head solidarity.
They're lucky to have such a doting slave caretaker!

My babies are sweet. Sadie is a total snuggle bug even though she's way too big for it, and Toby is an old
grouchy man but he makes me feel safe when I'm home alone. He's very gentle to me. AND NEEDY.

We don't deserve pets

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 02:59:34 )

i'd def want to be able to draw omg

i'm a rascally rabbit
rap game bugs bunny

horsey facey

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.