Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Winter Solstice 2019 Get In the Solstice Spirit: Community Goals

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:22:12 )

nah you're good sorry! xD I know it was a weird topic im just bored af at work

also thanks! I drew it lol. I'm not caught up but it's a really good series! I'm really impressed with Jon Favreau. I personally am not a fan of the new trilogy at all... but the Mandalorian really feels artfully created with love and is just really well told.

Also hell yeah I really need to watch Rebels and Clone Wars tbh. I never was able to but I know they are really awesome shows!

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:24:06 )

oh man my timestamp on that last post was almost 22:22:22

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:24:36 )
I'm pretty disappointed by the new trilogy, especially given all the work that went into Clone Wars and Rebels, just for the movies to ignore a ton of that and make up new stuff....that replicates what already exists, and to not let any of the original trilogy triad to live past 60 or so. :(

There's lots of stuff in the new movies I liked, like new characters, but overall, I was sad they weren't given more time to really let the audience get to know them without having plot device after plot device thrown at them.

Clone Wars starts out rough, but it's really good. You can go either in broadcast order, or chronological. If you google it, there should be an episode list. It really redeemed the prequel characters and premise for me.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:25:01 )
skettiyeti:

oh man my timestamp on that last post was almost 22:22:22

Oooooh, lucky!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:31:05 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Omg, I drove home and finally sit down to eat dinner, and see that conversation about squirrel anatomy. 👀 I learned something new and possibly horrifying...

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:31:40 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Also, why does baby Yoda look like he’s old as heck. xD

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:35:03 )

Yeah, I'm really upset at disney for retconning all the star wars media save for the movies. Some of the best stuff were the other works. For example I always really loved the KOTOR series, those had some really rich storylines. I pretend they're still canon, because I mean, no matter what they still exist. They probably just want to be able to rehash any ideas they can/want. One of my main peeves with the new trilogy is that the director supposedly didn't even want the project at all. It honestly takes some cajones to be handed one of the largest fandoms in the history of media and not even care about it, like it's kind of a huge "eff you" to the entire fandom.

Apparently Harrison Ford hated the script and demanded to be written out of the movies via death. (He highballed them on how much he wanted to be paid so they wouldn't pay it, but they did and he got roped in)

Oooh. I didn't realize there were different orders to watch CW in. I'll probably go chronological.

@tsunderra: It was my first attempt at drawing him tbh, I've gotten a bit better at capturing him. But he is apparently 50 years old. xD And just got hella face creases.

Also, RIGHT? squirrels, man.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:43:02 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@skettiyeti: Naaah, you captured him perfectly. He looks wrinkled as hell in the show too, but I guess that’s just how his species is. xD

Also, I didn’t know the director of the new trilogy didn’t care, but you can kind of tell based on how that story panned out. I knew Harrison Ford originally wanted to be killed in the original trilogy, so I thought they were finally granting his wish with the newer ones. Didn’t know he didn’t like the script and tried to highball them to get out of being in it. Han Solo was my fav char, and it hurt seeing how he ended up.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:44:16 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@koneko: You don’t want to know about the squirrels man. >__>

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:51:05 )
JJ also messed up a lot of the core ideology of Star Trek when he got those movies as a stepping stone to get Star Wars. I like how he assembles casts, but I don't like the stories he tells.

Some of the old EU of Star Wars is good that it's gone...(I'm thinking of the overly detailed info on Darth Vader's breathing gear)...but a lot of it was just fine, and I always appreciate how Dave Filoni brings back a lot of it, where he can, to make it canon again

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:51:11 )

@koneko: yeah don't worry about the squirrel xD

@tsundererra: daw thanks haha! honestly it would be weirder if he was smooth LOL

That's all what I heard anyway, but for me it's easy to believe. Like I just have a huge problem with the new trilogy's storytelling, everything happens too fast, no explanation, clearly no one storyboarded it (or at least not well, lmfao), and it's just painful to watch because of how much happens every second. There's no buildup, hardly any character development, just... no love. I know I am a bit brutal on it. I am usually one to just enjoy things, and I'm sure it was hard to live up to the legacy, but when there's no love put into it, you can tell. It kind of loses value and becomes a money grab. Which I have no doubt that was Disneys goal, anyway.
So I don't wanna rip on anyone who enjoys it, but I absolutely ripped on my friend for loving and "relating" to Kylo Ren xD

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:52:14 )

athabm:
[color=#FF9999]JJ also messed up a lot of the core ideology of Star Trek when he got those movies as a stepping stone to get Star Wars. I like how he assembles casts, but I don't like the stories he tells.

Some of the old EU of Star Wars is good that it's gone...(I'm thinking of the overly detailed info on Darth Vader's breathing gear)...but a lot of it was just fine, and I always appreciate how Dave Filoni brings back a lot of it, where he can, to make it canon again

yikes yeah thats a brilliant point. I agree, his casting is pretty well done and it sucks that they don't have good material to work with >->

[/color]

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:54:09 )
Yeah, there's way too much packed into the movies. I agree with you on the lack of character development

The concepts of the new characters are compelling, but they were not treated with love, and the final movie did feel like a giant middle finger to fans, honestly.

I wish they'd let Dave Filoni direct a live action movie. It would probably be all force mythology and mysticism and it would be so great

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:57:02 )

I would go so hard for force mythologyyyyyy that sounds dope as heck. Kind of why I loved KOTOR, too. There was a decent amount of lore and expanding in light v dark and how a middle ground can exist, etc. Expanded lore on other planets and races would be amazing too, which I think is partially why the Mandalorian is so compelling.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:58:08 )
Okay, if you love that stuff, you'll love the Mortis arc of Clone Wars, and all the force revelations in Rebels

Oh, also when Yoda starts doing weird shit toward the end of the Clone War, that's more of it, too

Donator — They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/8 23:59:30 )

Goodness why have I been sleeping on those series so long? I gotta watch these ASAP.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/9 00:00:31 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@skettiyeti: I couldn’t figure out what bothered me about the new trilogy, but I think you hit the nail on the head with what you said. Everything did happen so fast and without explanation. Like... all the kiss scenes are random to me... and while I’m always happy to see my boy Palpatine, his return was also random as fuuuck. Also, if the chars did develop, they didn’t do it onscreen. ): Sucks because all the actors did a good job, unlike the prequel trilogy (omg, Anakin’s acting was so bad).

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/9 00:04:39 )
Yeah, all the actors in the new trilogy did a great job, and I wanted to see them develop onscreen, but they felt super rushed through, or thrown away when the writers didn't know what to do with them

@skettiyeti: Clone Wars starts out mostly as battles and diplomacy, but it's worth watching it all, because you get really attached to the clones, and it gets across the sadness of the whole empire situation and how basically impossible it was for anyone in the galaxy to escape the manipulations of Palpatine, no matter what side they thought they were on. Anakin didn't stand a chance.

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/9 00:07:32 )
I was not a fan of Anakin before watching Clone Wars, but now I actually care about his story.

@Tsundererra: if you watch the takes they discarded from filming the prequels, you'll see that the actor who played teen Anakin actually can act, but Lucas didn't seem to want his actors to do much acting. I have a dream that one day someone will take all the discarded footage and recut it to make the same movies, but well-acted

Donator — they/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/01/9 00:08:25 )
10 pages to go!

Food and pop culture are the way to post

and squirrels

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.