Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Art Contest Opinion question!

Question: Should I add more?

• ADD MORE: 0 / 0 0%
    0% Votes
  • Nahhh, totally good.: 0 / 0 0%
    0% Votes
  • 100k grand prize? I'm in!: 0 / 0 0%
    0% Votes
Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 06:23:04 )

Sorry about the borked poll.
Jus tleave your votes/comments in the thread, please~<3
Thanks!

So, as some of you may already be aware, I'm working on setting up a (non-official!) art contest. I'm a fiend for art, soooooooo yeah.

But I was wondering.

Is 100kvolts for a grand prize a good enough prize? DX
The prizes would be 100k, 75k and 50k for 1st 2nd and 3rd.

Or... or should there beo more?

EDIT: So it was brought to light that for the users who may not have hte confidence in their art... having more placements would be beneficial.
So if I were to alter it to be 1st at 75k, 2nd at 50k, then 34d, 4th, and 5th at 25k, that still sound good?

♯ And I wonder what you've done to me || I've lost all my ability to think logically || I know I've never felt this way before || Like someone pushed me through a door || And there's no turning back ♯

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 06:56:00 )

@Amber Lynne: idk if I'm the wrong person to answer, but 100k sounds insane! for a fully polished work of art, then yeah it is a fair price imo. that is about 5k in ohms if you were to convert it. (about $50? value)

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 06:58:32 )

@ephenay: But it'd be for a chance for it, that's the thing I'm a bit worried about.
I mean... yeah. Like... I dunno.
I'm just worried that my prize pool won't be large enough to draw in peeps. XD

♯ And I wonder what you've done to me || I've lost all my ability to think logically || I know I've never felt this way before || Like someone pushed me through a door || And there's no turning back ♯

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:13:52 )

@Amber Lynne: idk 100k does not sound like a small prize. if you're looking for eyes on your contest, maybe introduce post contests and publicity rewards? i mean, just to get people in the thread. i'm definitely not a rich voltie so 50k+ volts is still unheard of to me. there's also a lot of good artists on here, it's kind of intimidating XD not sure if a bigger prize pool would convince me further to participate.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:15:49 )

@ephenay: That's fair.
(And trust me, I'm not made of volts either, lol. I've just been hoarding them for a bit now. ... I tend to dump my volts on rigs from other users or art. Can't seem to get past 15k in my wallet, lol)

I'll definitely keep tha tin mind~<3
Thanks!
(And I'm planning ot open for Jan 1, if that matters. If I can decide wtf I'm doing LOL)

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:22:15 )

@Amber Lynne: haha i totally get that. it's so hard to save when i can feeeel the exchange looking at me XD
but yeah, no problem! hope you get more input from others. i wouldn't quite decide what to do either

banner by Ruby ❤️

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:26:43 )

If you would like your poll fixed you can ask Path.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:32:25 )

@Bioshock: I... really hadn't considered that, to be honest.
I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks!

@totalanimefan: ... I thought polls were working > >

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:34:06 )

@Amber Lynne: They are but if you preview your post. I guess it makes it not work? It happened to me.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:41:47 )

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:50:55 )

@Bioshock: Hey!
Since you're the one who brought up about the more places...
Would this be more enticing (if you were interested, that is)

• First Place: 75K Volts
  • Second Place: 50K Volts
  • Third Place: 25K Volts
  • Fourth Place: 25K Volts
  • Fifth Place: 25K Volts

Sorry to ask you specifically, but you're the one who brought it up, so I Thought you'd be the best to ask? I dunno.
    Please feel free to just tell me to leave you alone if you'd prefer~<3

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:54:11 )

I don't know why it's not working but Path can still help you fix your poll

By Ghost
    https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
    Discord: Totalanimefan
    @me
    I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 07:57:26 )

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 08:45:32 )

@Bioshock: Of course! I'll bug a bunch of people. Lol. For their opinions on the matter. But at least you've helped me realise that having 5 placements is actually something to consider. It hadn't even crossed my mind before, if I'm bein' honest.
    So thank you~<3

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 09:08:14 )

@amber lynne: sounds like a great prize!

°<°art by Keturah🖤🦖🖤

Voltie — Princess Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 14:01:04 )

@Amber Lynne: I think a better idea to get more people to join is not just one really big prize but each entrant could receive like 3k or something so it is worth their time even if they don't win. They will still get something for their time and trouble. Just a suggestion. I don't mind if that cuts into the 1st prize either, even 50k volts would be insane for someone who doesn't post much like me.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 17:50:23 )

It depends on what you realistically expect to get out of hosting the contest. Are there a lot of active artists on the site who might join a contest? Do you expect to get some fairly high-quality art? The nature of your request will also be a factor; based on what you see most frequently being offered in art shops or shown in galleries on the site, how many of the active artists do you think would be interested in drawing what you're looking for? Prizes make a difference, too, of course, but you don't want to set out the huge rewards unless you expect an equally good return.

100k seems like a perfectly good first place prize for an art contest in theory, given the average going price for high quality art on the site and the fact that it is a contest, meaning the top prize should be worth more than what they'd get just from selling in a shop. But if you don't expect a lot of higher-level entrants, lowering it and having more, smaller prizes would probably be a safer bet. 75k is still pretty high, higher than anything most art shops would charge for a typical piece, and would still draw people in.

edit: Adding small "participation prizes" for all who enter can also be a good idea. I used to do this when I hosted contests on another site, as I didn't want anyone to work for free (even so that is just the nature of contests), and it gave more incentive for less confident artists to join.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie — Princess Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 21:17:45 )

@Amber Lynne: One more suggestion, art being as subjective as it is you could maybe do a few hidden categories like "best colors", "best lineart", "best technical anatomy", "most dramatic pose", "cutest style" etc. Since most artists just specialize in one or a few of these things, more people will get the chance to win.

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/17 23:41:35 )

@Saeyra: technically everyone will have a chance to win because it won't be 'highest quality' that would get it.
    Accuracy counts for a LOT more than skill.
    As in, did you you keep in character? Are you accurate to their appearance, etc.

Beyond that, duly noted! I'll certainly keep what you said in mind~<3
    Same with what @Uncledaddy: said.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
    ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
    If you do art, PM me

Voltie — Princess Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/18 00:22:30 )

@Amber Lynne: Oh I didn't mean chance to win the grand prize but chance to win something :vanora_smile:

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
    Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
    Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.