Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing How do RP? (Rp for noobs)

Voltie — They/them Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/9 11:29:41 )
I would love it if someone could create a topic with basic how to's for noobs like me.
Character creation, backstory creation, worldbuilding, how to keep an RP interesting and flowing, etc.

Do you guys have any tips for a newcomer in the RP world?
I've always wanted to lift a large quadraped over my head

Donator — He/Him. Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/9 21:02:22 )

"These make me very happy..."

https://www.voltra.us/forum/view_topic/9460/0?last_post= I don't know if this will be helpful,but I wrote some things I've learned over the years. You'll have to scroll down a bit to see it! I also have a site that might be helpful for creating characters. I can link it to you in PMs if you'd like. On it,you fill out a few fields (name,age,etc),and it generates occupations,family connections,backstory,etc.

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/1 17:57:40 )
I do most of my roleplays on the fly and pretty casual, so I don't know that I have much info to share on world building and that kind of things. If you have a specific question I could try to answer it. (I've been rping here and there for about 15 years now.)

As for how to keep a thread going, I think it's important to remember to have action and to not be scared of making things happen. If you're worried about doing something you can always ask your rp partner if they're okay with it.

Donator — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/2 21:03:57 )
As a side note, I rather like rping with beginners and helping them out if you have an interest.
ping me for best results

Donator — stand user Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/7 03:37:01 )

im tempted to do this ...

🖤

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/7 05:13:07 )
    I would love to be able to make a concise and informative guide to the wonderful world of RPing and character creation...
    But I can't, because it's all just... Throwing darts at walls, maybe even just flinging/splattering paint in places.
    Not to mention character creation can be... Just evil.
    "I create You to do This, and be That, and love Them."
    Sounds simple, right?
    Wrong.
    Because then the Character gains some kind of magical Sentience and ends up telling you to go frick yourself.
    "But no, I created Them... They do what I say... That's how this works!" you wail, and you're wrong.
    The idea fluttered by, but then you said 'oh yeah, cool' and then control will never be yours again.
    Like giving birth to a child.
    Sure, you made it, but it's got a mind of it's own now and you're screwed.

Donator — stand user Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/10 01:24:10 )

@Anarchist Beauty: that was a wonderful explanation on how character creation is a monster of it's own >:(

🖤

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/05/10 02:28:33 )
    @lullaby: Thank-you, I tried to capture my annoyance at it fully. lol

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.