Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Working from home...

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/4 04:17:29 )
I've been at home since March 9.
That first week was a break, but the rest were "work from home" weeks.

As the weeks have progressed, my job has been doing "soft" rollouts of new expectations every single week.
We've been told that we are supposed to work 6 hours a day-whichever 6 we want, but to be mindful and flexible in our scheduling to accommodate the many needs that come our way.

I'm finding that now, I'm never done working.

I'm getting calls from coworkers to troubleshoot tech problems until 11pm
I'm working on documents/videos/slidedecks/websites well into the night because I have a 3 year and I can get quality work done after his bedtime.
I'm expected to be available for emails at any time because "we don't know anyone else's circumstances- their work hours may not complement your work hours".
I'm receiving mixed signals- "you're communicating too much." "you're not communicating enough." "This other person does it this way." "I love what you're doing."
I'm attending online meetings.
I'm facilitating online meetings..
and the list just keeps going on.

I have no work life separation now that my whole house is my workplace.

I'm also trying to juggle a 3 year old staying home through all of that, trying to make sure he gets the education he needs, a husband that has his own meetings/work from home demands from his job, and we can never keep the house straightened.

It's too much.
I'm overwhelmed and
I
can't
stop.

I used to keep my work email off of my phone to prevent working too much, but it's not possible to do that now. I might miss an email. I used to just leave work at work by 5:00 each day and would have my evening dedicated to family and relaxing, but now I have to be available for any need that may arise.

Don't get me wrong- I'm super grateful to have a job and still be getting paid- I just wish the demands were more realistic.
I'm having to be understanding and accommodating of everyone else's circumstances and situations while I'm not being given that same grace, flexibility, and patience with my own circumstances and situations.
It just sucks.

/end rant

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/4 08:41:40 )

That’s garbage. Your boss should say working hours are 8-6pm or something like that and pick 6 of those hours to get your work done.
Not everyone can just work no works like there is no more structure. That’s not how it worked before Corona. Smh

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/4 16:12:06 )

could you communicate with your boss that it's hard and that you're working much more than 6 hours. are you being compensated for more than 6 hours?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/7 21:43:36 )
This is also one of the main reasons why I would prefer to work in an office compared to at home... While it's convenient for the most part - you just have your work at home with you.

I agree with the first 2 replies, it's best to communicate with your boss about this. It's very unfair to you, and your family.
It's likely that your other co-workers think the same.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/8 01:30:14 )
@Mousy: I don't know if this is a reasonable suggestion, but maybe you can find one specific work station you sit at in your house that when you leave it, you're not working anymore period. No answering phones or e-mails. Almost like an office in your house. Maybe find a way to use skype or something, and let them know when you're online, they can contact you, if you're switched off, then you're not available and you're not negotiating on it.

I don't know if any of these will apply, but sometimes drawing imaginary lines in certain things can help separate work life and home life. Maybe even making your office in a room your kid can't go into or something? Just to give more of that work/home separation? Just word vomiting some ideas, but hopefully you can figure this out and have some peace. Times are crazy rn. It sucks to see so many people going through so much. </3
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/11 01:03:00 )
Honestly that's what I'm finding with work from home too, no work life separation. but I don't also have a 3-yr-old. It must be a lot of work to keep the wee one sane too.

I think you have the right to be accomodated by other people too, I'm pretty sure everyone is expected to be flexible so advocate for yourself and your kid. Do it for him! You're not in it alone.

This also just shows me that the workplace just doesn't value the work of mothers, and then she's the one everyone blames when they mess up in life. Smh.

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/13 16:55:43 )
wow, that is truly ridiculous. i'm sorry. i'm also working from home and fell into a similar trap of working 'round the clock until a coworker told me to stop it because doing that will cause burnout.

i guess my question is, would there actually be any consequences if you didn't respond to an unimportant/non-urgent email at like 6:30pm? it doesn't sound like anyone is on the same page so i would be surprised if they came down on people for not answering until the following morning.

you are allowed to have a life outside work even during the pandemic times. i would set boundaries and see if anyone says anything.

hello again

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/21 05:36:57 )
@totalanimefan: Sooooo I may have gotten sick last week (just allergies, but terrible ones) and I only worked the very bare minimum. And guess what? no one said a word. not a single thing. it was really liberating. I feel like I can work like a normal human.

@Bonnie: I'm not compensated for more hours because I'm salaried. It all just kind of comes with the contract under all other duties not listed above or some nonsense like that

@kwisshiie: They do.. I think we're all equally stressed. I am excited to be done with this part. haha

@Lucifera: I set up a work office in the guest bedroom, but I made the mistake of letting it become my son's "classroom" too and it's a WRECK now. I need to clean it and kick him out. Haha. I've been in the living room since he destroyed it. Not as productive, but TV....

@Eruca: So, I spent a lot of time keeping him quiet and making sure he didn't interrupt my calls, but I chose not to for one of my meetings last week. At the end of the meeting, I just shrugged my shoulders and told my boss "Sorry, this is my current reality. It is what it is." and she was really understanding. My son drove his firetruck complete with sirens through another and I was just like "Kids... amirite?" IDK if they judged or cared, but It is what it is! I'm working really hard on not being apologetic for my situation. People have got to understand and if they don't, then they're a terrible person. XD

@kegs: I was definitely feeling the burnout and then I got sick and stopped working so much for about a week and a half. and the world didn't end. I didn't get in trouble. Not one got mad at me that I know of.....
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/21 06:10:13 )

@Mousy: ah. I’m salaried as well so I get the struggle! I do! But luckily I haven’t been overloaded with stuff

bloop

Donator — Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/04/23 02:16:19 )
@Mousy: So glad to hear you're figuring it out! Things can change but life goes on.
Ping me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.