Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Teacher struggles, thanks virus

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/15 20:19:27 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

So we were supposed to have until Tuesday evening to prepare our students and lay down what will happen while they are away from school until April 5th.
WELL! We just got an email about an hour ago saying that the district is closed starting immediately.
We had meetings tomorrow to go over the plan in the morning and I personally had another at 1pm to help me more learn about the online learning site we use to post assignments and materials that students need, but I guess those are both out.
I ALSO HAD AN IMPORTANT MEETING FOR A CASELOAD STUDENT! I don't know if this is still happening or not but I was really needing to have this so he would start to get special education services again...
Ugh this is crazy... But tbh I am surprised it took this look because in Wisconsin the virus showed up in the county I work in first.

I know other teachers are feeling the stress and struggles, fellow teachers of voltra feel free to vent here with me, lol.

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/15 21:03:01 )
Ah, teacher here as well! I'm still going in Monday and Tuesday (the kiddos have a half day) I guess to see what's going on. I don't work in public school, however so they kinda get to make their own rules? I think public schools are on the verge of closing, if they haven't already. We're doing remote teaching until the 23rd (as of right now).

I'm just assuming everything is on hold right now, as state tests were supposed to be next week as well? I sort of just thing everything in quite chaotic right now.

Is there anyway you'd be able to e-mail someone about the information or ask another co-worker about it? Unless they plan on sending a follow-up e-mail with everything you might need? (Wishful thinking here! Haha)

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/15 21:27:10 )

I’m not a teacher but I couldn’t imagine the stress you must be feeling. Everyone is a bit confused and unsure of how we are going to settle into this. Just know that it will get better or at least easier.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/15 21:54:35 )
★⌒☆⌒★⌒☆⌒★

@Yandere: I work in a public high school. That was our plan for Monday and Tuesday too! Except we would have full days. I am planning to go in tomorrow regardless to help the more self-contained instructors get materials together for their students so they can send them home for them. Then attempting to contact all my caseload students and their parents.

Does your districts Spring break start on the 23rd? We are also doing remote teacher, then it is Spring break the week of the 23rd, then we will do one more week of remote teaching and hopefully return on the 6th of April...

What grade level do you teach? Can I also ask what state you are in?

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/15 23:57:38 )
We’re closed for at least this coming week, but it’s definitely looking like it will be longer now. We’ve been on Spring Break this past week.

We got an email last night saying we needed to put up a mix of pencil/paper, experiential, and digital activities based on the standards we were due to teach this week on a grade level choice board by midnight tonight.

Sooooo, about 24hours to weed through resources that match our standards and are able to be posted online. We scrambled and threw something together. If we’re closed longer, hopefully I can create better things for the kids to do. AND create actual lessons since I still have new content to teach before our state test that may or may not be cancelled?

I’m just grateful our math and science curriculum has digital content ready made by the publishers. It was mostly getting it accessible to the kids. I’m the only techy one on my team, so it was up to me.

Im hoping to create some nearpod lessons this week when I have more time than a 24 hour notice.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/16 00:05:06 )
@kaichoukai: Ahh, all the public schools near me are closed, though I think they've been open for awhile now. I'm hearing different things, so I'm not really sure. As of right now, it's still the same as I mentioned before, though DOE schools are now officially closed from what I've been hearing, and we mainly piggyback on whatever they do.
Seems like you still have a lot to do despite it being off. Is the building still open for you? I'm not even sure janitors would be allowed in, or possibly the principal if everything is shut down.

No, strangely enough. My spring break isn't until the second week in April; Easter weekend.

Oh! Apologies, I should have mentioned that before. I'm a 4th grade teacher in a charter school in New York.

TH || dA ||webtoon

Donator — - Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/03/16 05:53:56 )
@kaichoukai: Im extremely glad I'm not a teacher anymore, it's hectic enough without this horse shit. Though now I'm a janitor, so if my work shuts down, guess who most likely would still have to go in anyway to disinfect and clean up the place. :' )

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.