Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat LGBT dating life is hard

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 22:27:05 )
xD Anyone here in the community that had/has the hardest time finding dates or figuring out how to date? As a 23 y/o cis woman (I identify as pans but honestly, I'm starting to question if I'm not just lesbian fighting a super traditional upbringing) I find it hard to meet other women that I connect with. It's an intense struggle folks! xD

Anyone else going through the same?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 22:58:17 )

Dating is a massive pain in the ass for those boring straight people too (this is a snarky joke). But yeah it can be pretty hard within the community. Like I id as pan, but have only dated dudes up til now. I've just not had any interest in anyone lately. No one has just made that spark in me. No one I can really relate to, or find anything other than boring.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:06:23 )
@Another Movie Addict: I get that a lot too! I have had one girlfriend and honestly... It was kind of a fail because we weren't like, intellectually compatible? But honestly with both men and women that I do happen to match with, I can't bring myself to be interested in them. There isn't enough common ground, or they are just this one demensional person that 'just wants to get drunk and high and have a good time."

Like I just want a sincere relationship. With men, that is hardly something easy to find in straight-passing relationships or as a straight person. But in the LGBT+ community, finding someone who is female is hard (i date pretty much trans/NB folks as well) finding someone who is wanting a relationship, harder, finding someone who wants a monogamous relationship... I love the idea of poly, but I only have the mental capacity for one person, and it feels like it's a game of stacking cards. xD Nearly impossible sometimes.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:14:31 )

@Scribartz: I'm not really into a lot of mainstream things, so I just end up looking at a lot of the community thinking how stupid most memes are. Like I don't give a fuck. And dating right now is just a lot of well children. Most of the people within my age bracket or intellectual equals are all already in committed relationships, and I'm not terribly into poly.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:20:25 )
@Another Movie Addict: I'm that person whose guilty of sharing mental-health positive memes. xD And super, super dark humor memes... But yeah finding someone you're compatible with is already tough enough, and then adding on top of that other things, it adds up. xD I'm borderline at a point of, I really just need to give up on the idea of dating. Because already I've tried about 10ish dating apps? And in all of them, it's the same...
Poly is something I feel like some people can do, and do well. My issue with it personally is that i know I'd favor one person above another and it'd end up being me monogamously dating the one, getting jealous of the other getting attention. So I just avoid it.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:26:36 )

@Scribartz: At this point I have completely given up on the idea of dating. My past really doesn't help. Apparently I only ever have interest in sociopaths. Then you add in the fact that I'm also demi, which does make it harder.

Like I'm not anti-memes, it's just a lot of the ones from Youtubers and shit. I just don't care. My interests tend to be books, true crime, movie reviewers, musicals, and even then on the more obscure side of all those. I've been proud of myself for moving away from the 10 things I watch on rotation. I love Achievement Hunter, that does not mean send me memes about Mark whatshisnuts, or the other dude who got featured on South Park. Liking one thing does not mean I care about the others. And that tends to make people put off on me. The lack of caring about main stream stuff.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:35:52 )
@Another Movie Addict: xD I dunno why that made me chuckle. But sociopaths can be seductive, tbh. I just broke up with one of those like, last november/october? It's not uncommon.

I've never gotten a youtuber meme... OwO I mainly like horror movies, as most other movie endings disappoint me. Despite being a choir kid I never really got into musicals. Sometimes the singing just felt so awkward during certain times. I tend to watch more TV with my favorites (right now) being the magicians and Marvelous Miss Maizel. I get being frustrated by the association of if you like this... I mean it's probably sent with good intentions. A lot of times when that happens sometimes I remind myself sometimes people are just trying to connect? I think in a world where people are forgetting how to talk to one another, sending relatable memes is one of the few ways people can be like "hey this is me." but... eh. xD To each their own.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:40:43 )

@Scribartz: Honestly sociopaths tend to be the best for adult relations, if you get my meaning. But like I was in a seven years long relationship, and even though it's been almost 8 years since then. I still, I know what a long term relationship looks like. And that has made it difficult investing in new relationships. My last relationship was with a guy I had been friends with for over 10 years, and the last person I had any feelings for was just as long. Getting invested in someone brand new to my life is just a pain for me.

I still need to watch season 3 of The Magicians. Right now I've been into a lot of much older films.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:46:53 )
@Another Movie Addict: Mine I'd been best friends with for 12 years (had bad habits then) and promised when we started dating he'd be less of a self-absorbed rectum. Needless to say, it lasted like 2 months after we met in person and he fell back into old ways. I told him either he straightened out or I'm 100% Done. I have put up With psychopaths and sociopaths enough in my life that I can't and won't. I understand how hard it is though because starting from scratch in new relationships is a situation that becomes tedious... Especially after 100+ first dates.

It's so good. Eliot is honestly my favorite character and no other will ever compare. I honestly can't with Margot though. she just irritates me sometimes. xD But hopefully you get to watch it! I am guilty of binging in whilst I was supposed to be studying this semester.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:49:38 )

@Scribartz: You'd think being in the furry community that it would be easier, but nope. I tried a few dating sites, those folks are mostly only interested in jumping between the sheets as fast as possible. Or they're boring people. Or they're less smart than me, and I'm not exactly that smart.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 23:59:15 )
@Another Movie Addict: Yeah... I bumped into a mutual friend in the furry community and can confirm. Furry community is full of bed hoppers. I honestly just don't even anymore. xD I come on here and rant, see who else is in a similar pot of bull shite, and then otherwise I dive into my artwork and just ignore the world.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 00:01:24 )

@Scribartz: I've been mostly focusing on getting my life together, and doing my best to conquer social anxiety. Getting better has been more important to me than exhausting myself with trying to find someone. Lmao my last time having any kind of relationship was like 5 years ago.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 00:19:06 )
@Another Movie Addict: Yeah... Social anxiety is becoming more and more common. xD I found my ADHD contributed to mine and once I was medicated talking to people became less of a chore, less taxing and whatnot. Oof, that's a bit ago. xD How's life since?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 00:20:59 )

@Scribartz: Actually life has been pretty great. That might be why I haven't felt motivated to try and get a relationship.

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 00:22:27 )
@Another Movie Addict: Well, it's good that it's going great. =) Either way, I hope you find someone who makes you happy! Everyone deserves that.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/22 17:58:51 )
You should read about the paradox of choice. We have more choice than ever now with apps and such but that makes us even less likely to find someone.
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/24 02:27:05 )
@TomYum: xD okay
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.