Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Does heartache always feel this bad?

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 02:27:54 )
。・:*:・゚,。・:*:・゚。・:*:・゚,。・:*:・゚ 。・:*:

I went to pick up my new debit card from my exes house (I still send some stuff there since I have used the address for three years) and I wanted to talk to their mom for a little bit but after being there for only ten minutes, I felt like I was going to cry. I went up to what used to be "our" bedroom and found a bunch of pictures ready for disposal. I took them because I am not ready to throw away these memories yet. It seems like my ex is throwing the past six years away like they meant nothing... It is technically my first breakup, I am 23 and this is my first.

The reason for the breakup was a majority my fault, I was extremely jealous of things and it got in the way and seeped into other aspects of life. It is understandable that it is going to take time to heal. We haven't talked for almost a month and that is fine, I won't push the needed boundaries... but disposing of the past? Even if it didn't last, it was six years. Six years where we developed as people together.

I want to move on and I am currently living a happier carefree life and taking steps to get a lot more help (seeing a therapist again and psych to adjust meds) but I can't let go?

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 02:29:55 )

PS. sorry for voming my love life on here, I haven't talked to many about this. Just my stepmom mostly and returning briefly yesterday threw me into a spiral...

Donator — He him his Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 02:44:17 )
Personally, I have to say yes. I broke up with my ex about a year and a half ago, we were living together for three years. After the break up, it took me almost the entire year to feel ok again, cause I really did love her. It’s natural for it to hurt, and only time can heal those kind of wounds.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 03:45:07 )
This reminds me of a funny TED talk if you'd like to watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0GQSJrpVhM he's a really good speaker haha. I've also seen his other TED talk about emotional first aid

e

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 04:09:53 )

@eerie: Oh I love TED talks, but I don't think I have seen this one? I am going to watch it. Maybe it will give me some insight.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/18 04:15:32 )
@kaichoukai: I'm listening to it again myself. he's got such nice presentation skills

someone left a comment with all the key points haha:
- 1: Acknowledge all the bad qualities, pet peeves, and incompatibilities of the relationship. Not to get angry or hold a grudge, but to simply realize that the end of the relationship is actually a blessing. Keep a list, and look at it as often as you need to.

- 2: Don't feed your addiction. Don't allow yourself to look at their social media profiles, don't spend time idealizing all the best parts, don't keep looking at their photos. Be aware of when you do this and recognize that it is only hurting you and complicating your recovery.

- 3: Fill the voids. They're gone now, but you can and should replace whatever is now empty with something better, something more healthy, something that will help you create and define a better future for yourself. This could be memories, photos, habits, whatever is in your life that is now a void due to their absence.

- 4: Be willing to let go and acknowledge that it is over. That relationship won't come back. Even if the person did somehow, that relationship - as it was - will not. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you will have room in your life for a much better, new relationship with someone that actually deserves your love.

e
I'm the master of me and isn't the thought enough to lift you off of the ground?

Donator — She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/20 22:24:18 )
Break-ups suck. I'm going through my own right now where it was 12 years of friendship I had to stop because carrying on in our cycle wasn't healthy.

It will absolutely hurt. And throwing away memories doesn't help for you, but everyone is different. If you can't talk to them anymore, a good way to get closure is to write a letter to them about that, put it in an evelope all stamped and addressed, but then put it in a box, or burn it. Maybe they won't ever read it, and you probably wasted paper (if you're someone who thinks about that stuff like me.) but you can get those feelings out in the open.

If you can talk to them. Sometimes it's okay to say hey, can we talk over coffee? And then lay it out. You know that it wasn't meant to be but, you don't want to throw away memories because even if it hurts and it reminds you both of things that you treature those times, the good and bad, and think it's a good place to grow from.

Healthy communication is something utterly lacking these days. And I think that can impact a lot of things.

You don't have to take any of this but, this is what has often helped me. <3 But it does hurt, and that hurt is valid.
Ping me for fast replies!
https://youtu.be/y4IF2WtkgtM

Donator — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/21 02:26:44 )
I also had a six year relationship that started in high school, and we also lived together for three years.
The guy was probably my most serious, head-over-heels relationship I had ever had. I was certain I would never
love anyone as much as I loved him, and that I would never feel a harder heartbreak.

I was wrong, lmao.

It's funny to say now, but I can look back on that relationship and see all its flaws, all the times I should have
ended it sooner, all of his mistakes, all of my mistakes, and not feel anything at all. I don't even really remember anything
noteworthy of being, like, a deep romantic memory. If I feel anything, I kind of feel regret for wasting so many years
on someone that really wasn't good for me at all. And it took me a long time to come to that realization!
After breaking up with him, I didn't date again for nearly two years while I put myself back together.
I had to get a new place, find new interests, and rediscover who I was without that relationship.
And I am so, so much happier now than I ever was then. The end of that relationship was a BLESSING, and I had no idea.

As a fellow jealous person, I would advise that you definitely analyze that part of yourself before going into
a new relationship (something I'm sure you're not interested in yet, anyway). Talk to your therapist, figure out
where it stems from, what REALLY causes it, and what it takes for you to trust someone in the future.
Makes the next relationship work out waaay smoother, trust me.

Point is, you can hold onto the memories if you want to. But, you'll let them go eventually, anyway.
The pain will dull to the point you don't even remember what it felt like, exactly.
So you can either let it go now, or let it go later, but you will move on and you will be better for it.

Donator — They/She Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/24 03:52:39 )
★⌒☆⌒⌒☆⌒★

I just want to say that I really appreciate everyones feedback and help on this topic. It is still tough and it comes in waves but I am able to cover it up with work, and now, being on here.

Thank you for all the advice, I am going to consider and use a lot of these. I am in the process of finding a therapist still and I was emailed that I am put onto the waitlist for a psychiatrist. I am working on myself before I do anything else. This is me realizing, also, that I am much happier right now being able to figure out myself.

Again, Thank you thank you thank you <3 You all are amazing and I love the feedback and support I can get on such heavy subjects.

。☆✼★━━━━★✼☆。

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.