Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Charities A Giveaway for Your Common Needs - Page 500 Prize!

Donator — she/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 00:34:02 )
@Totalanimefan: it’s hard to imagine other cities being worse!
Except in California, they’re supposed to have such bad cost of living

-Any odds are good odds for the damned-
Questing

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:10:10 )
More and more Californians are buying up property in areas outside of California that are close by. They're doing that where I used to live for a bit (Boise, ID) and driving up the cost of living there.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:13:56 )

@Lina: CA is horrible, but so is Boston, NYC, DC, Seattle, Portland, for sure and I think Austin is more expensive? But that doesn't take away from the fact that it's still expensive where you are.
@Aisukohi: Yeah I almost put that one on my list above. It's getting to be a lot. It's cause CA isn't building enough. In the Bay Area they are hardly building anything at all. The city where Apple is built just 19 just units (for seniors only) in the last 2 years.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:24:00 )
@totalanimefan: That really blows my mind considering there are so many people out there despite the absurd cost of living. Meaning more money to do projects like that, no? Also their tourism economy has to be making lots of money (at least before covid, anyway) so just hard for me to wrap my mind around lol.

Buuut I'm sure it has to do with someone misappropriating finances and all that, just like anywhere else.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:28:37 )

@Aisukohi: Well long, long story short. There is a law in CA that your property taxes stay the same as the day you bought the house. So if you bought a house in the 70's, or 80's and it was 200k, and now it's worth 2 mil. You aren't paying property taxes on that 2 mil house. Just 1% of 200k.
So, in order to make their homes go up in value these rich people go to city council and protest any new housing and lots of times they run for city council and they win a seat. I saw in happen all over the Bay Area. They are horrible people tell you that if you built more housing the 'other' kinds of people would be here. What they really mean is 'poor, black and/or homeless' so they stop any and all housing.

Donator — Any Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:30:50 )
Exactly, Total. the housing is getting much worse because of these capitalists. It's scary to see. :|

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:31:02 )

One lady that is now on the Planning Commission and is running for City Council said that we can't built new housing because Apple employees mostly men and those men are mostly single and they would try to bring our high school girls back into their apartments. So we can't build those new apartments. This is no joke, I have it screenshoted and in an Interview last week she doubled down on that idea.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:32:33 )

@Elirona: It's so true. I fought for housing in the Bay Area for years. And I will still fight for new housing where I live now. I even write letters to city council, show up at meetings and speak about how we need housing for all.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:35:20 )
Oh that makes a lot of sense. It's not ethical, of course, but that explains a lot.

And wow, what in the world?? I guess being rich doesn't pay for intelligence. -shrugs-

Donator — Any Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:45:56 )
And it's like, we don't really even NEED new housing. There are so many empty homes in america already that any of these buildings are pointless. It would cost us less to just give the homeless people a place to live than having them on the street.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:54:31 )

@Aisukohi: Being rich doesn't make you a nice person, but they think their God's gift to this green earth. 🤷‍♀️

@Elirona: We do need housing in most cities. There are a few places in the US there don't, but in the Bay Area for instance it was always 98% full the apartments. You need a little bit of extra units so that people have units to move into before they move out of their current place.
Austin, TX has been building 10,000 new units of housing a year for the past few years and it has only barely kept up with demand. There are 180 people moving to Austin every day (before Corona numbers).
But I come from a new town in FL and they don't really have much growth.

Donator — She/Her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 02:58:00 )
Oh no! Rich people gotta keep the poor man down! /sarcasm

It's disgusting with gentrification and all that. We have a lot of abandoned/unused buildings in my area too (Jacksonville, FL) and they're such an eyesore sometimes, but I hate that they're not being used for SOMETHING or not being destroyed altogether.

@Totalanimefan: Truth! I hate how money = power here.
Please call me Aisu or Kohi if you like!
Quest Thread
Questing Corrupted Ichor!!!

Donator — Any Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 03:12:05 )
@totalanimefan: Yeah, you're right. In big cities public housing 100% needs to be a thing.

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 03:33:06 )

@Aisukohi: So true. There is a neighborhood in DC that was nothing but empty lots and abandoned warehouses and they turned it into a whole new neighborhood. It started in about 2005. It's still going and it's a great place. One of my favorite in the city.
@Elirona: I agree! What some developers are going is building a market-rent building so it's a nice one, and then 15-25% of the units are for low income families/people. Studies have shown that those people do much better because the building is nice, normally newer, and in a better location. Plus it's good for society if there is diversity. In both race and social economics. I went to a whole lecture on it. It was pretty cool (Sorry urban planning is a hobby of mine lol)

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 03:34:22 )

Of course, there should still be 100% low income projects. And there are, they are normally charities that work with the homeless or with low income families. But because it's a non-profit those buildings tend to be less units. Like the 19 units I was talking about where Apple is, is for low income seniors. It was 100% affordable units.

Voltie — she/they Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 05:11:09 )
@sunny:
@Elirona:
@Totalanimefan:
Thanks, I have know idea how it went tho lol. I walked in and they were like, hold on, we have to remember you. Like... you called me??? Why would you schedule a second interview if you can't even remember who I am ashdjsj
~Instagram! Twitter!~

A Big Ole Quest Thread

Donator — Any Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 05:17:33 )
@totalanimefan: Yeah, exactly. Everyone deserves a home, is the gist. *nodnod*

@lilykin: What the heck??? you're exactly right, lmao. Why would they call you if they scheduled a *second* interview?

Donator — She/her Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 12:15:56 )

@Lilykin: oh my goodness. What a shit show. :(
@Elirona: yeah. Sorry about all the detail. Lol

By Ghost
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Any Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 12:47:29 )
@totalanimefan: You're fine!! You did an excellent job of explaining yourself. :)

Voltie — He/Him Posted 2 months ago ( 2020/10/6 12:49:34 )
"The future must know where you've been."

Good morning!!!

"The past predicts the state you're in!"
❝ zero - vee - seven ❞
— ☆ —
Sebastián | 21yrs | Mestizo | Trans Male | He/Him ONLY
+0 Voltra Time | B/S/T + Art Gallery | Ping me if you want a response.
— ☆ —

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.

Don't want to see the ads? You can purchase a "TV Head" from Ohm-My-Gosh Imports.