Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Role Playing Technological Evolution

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 03:19:12 )
One.. by... one.
They only fall... a-part.
Can it be.. undone?

The young female just smiled as her and her 'date' stopped at the front door of her home.

"Glad you enjoyed the movie." he said. "I admit, it was better than I had anticipated, and it seemed you enjoyed it as well." he told her.

"I'd like to come inside and continue this, but I DID promise my Mom I'd be back sooner, rather than later." he then said further. "After all, I'm helping her decode some really ancient journals with a lot of ruined and partial equations in them." he went on.

"Anyway, glad you had fun, and I'll see you later." he finished.

The two of them then parted ways, and she stepped through her front door. However, before she could announce her arrival, she could hear muttering close by... in the den, to be specific.

And it sounded like her father... mostly because it WAS her father. She was adopted by him, but he was her father, and a better father figure for her, one could not find.

However, he sounded... rather irate and unimpressed.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it." he cursed quietly, seemingly preoccupied with his own thoughts.

"I employ some of the best in the business, but how is it these internet rogues keep managing to stay one step ahead of us?" he growled, shaking his head and letting his phone drop from his hand, onto the sofa cushion beside him.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 03:41:58 )

She gave her date a hug before making her way inside and heard all she did.

"Wait... what?' She asked as she made her way deeper into the house after kicking off her shoes.

'Hey Dad?" She asked, stepping into the room that she heard him in.

"... What's going on?" She asked, concern in her voice, and face.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 04:14:32 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

The man paused for a moment, and looked over towards her.

"Oh, hi sweetie." he greeted her.

"Didn't realise you were back already." he said.

"And what's going on? Work problems." he told her, shaking his head.

"My tech team has some of the best that money can hire, but it seems like they're STILL always playing catch-up with those that have too much time on their hands, intelligence out the whazoo, but no wisdom to go with it." he sighed.

"Cyber-security is a real pain in the ass sometimes." he lamented.

"But don't you worry about it." he then assured her.

"How was the movie?" he asked, changing the subject.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 04:28:08 )

...... Huh.

"The movie was better than it had any right to be." She added with a light laugh. She knew she'd have to keep what he said in the back of her mind, as she wanted to help, ut also knew that he would be ... resistent to the idea. To put it lightly, of course.

"WAnt a drink? I'm grabbing something myself." She added.

"So fi you want something, I can grab."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 04:53:33 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"A drink? Sure." he replied.

"A bottle of water, if you please." he told her.

He then relaxed a bit, sinking more into the couch, and sighed heavily.

"I need a vacation." he mumbled.

"I'll have to see what my schedule looks like, then get Ty to fill in for me... relatively soon." he told himself.

"Maybe see Hollie about some teas in the meantime." he went on, shaking his head slightly.

"Ugh. Sometimes I just want to up and quit." he added half-jokingly, with a mild laugh.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 05:06:23 )

Must really be getting to him... she thought as she made her way to the kitchen before grabbing what she was there for. She made her way back out with a light smile before handing him the water bottle he'd requested.

"... seriously though. Wha'ts bogging you down, Dad?" She asked as she took a seat.

"I know I can't really help, but I also know that having someone hear you out can definitely help." She paused before smirking lightly.

"And I heard from Cain that his parents went to Australia recently, and absolutely loved it. So that's an option if you want an exciting trip to take."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 05:33:08 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Again, he sighed, accepting the water bottle.

"It's just that, no matter who I hire, or how they work, or the breakthroughs they make, or how brilliant they are, somehow, a computer virus manages to make its way into the system." he told her.

"Now, granted, we've not had a serious breach yet." he then admitted.

"We've been able to stop any really serious information from being compromised, but the fact that it's getting harder and harder to spot them is getting to be stressful." he went on.

"The people that I hire are just that... people. And they can only work as efficiently as their bodies and minds allow them." he continued.

"Feels like a losing war at times." he lamented.

"And Australia, huh?" he then asked, taking a drink.

"Haven't been there in decades. Might be worth another visit." he admitted.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 05:39:13 )

"Take Mom and enjoy the place. I can hold down the fort here, probably drag Cain over for a bit." She said with a laugh.

"Seriously. Go get some plane tickets." She added, a soft, sincere, smile on her voice.

"You deserve a break." She finished with.

... and you being out of the house will make things easier for me. she thought, already making plans.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:00:26 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

"......." he was silent for a moment, and sighed once more.

"You know what? You're right." he said.

"Your mother's been talking about wanting to take a vacation, anyway." he told her.

"I suppose now's as good a time as any." he reasoned.

"...granted, this is still going to take SOME time to arrange." he then muttered.

"But I think we can be ready and gone in a week or so." he muttered, before taking his phone and sending a text to Hollie, asking her to swing by his home when she had the time.

"Thank you, Lunet." he told her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:03:43 )

Lunet just smiled.

"Hey, sometimes you just need some convincing." She then said.

"Don't thank me." She added with a light laugh as she pulled her cell out of her pocket.

"BVesides, you never take a day off." She added. "It's about time you did. Go away for a week or two." As she spoke, she fired a quick text to a friend of hers.

Yo, Leo. I'm gonna need your help with a rather large project. If you're interested, text me back and I'll call you when I get a chance.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:23:53 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

After a few seconds, she received a response.

You're saying all the right words, while giving no info. the text read.

There was then silence, before she received another one.

I'm in. it read.

Call me when you get that chance. the last one told her.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:31:50 )

Lunet just chuckled lightly as she read the text.

Will do. She sent.

---

Sure enough, a week later Hal was just about ready to leave and meet Hollie in Wales to head to Australia. Lunet approached, bringing one of the bags he'd packed with her.

"Looking forward to this?" She asked with a smile as she handed him his pack.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:50:13 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Hal nodded in response.

"I am." he replied.

"I've been wanting and needing this for a while." he told her.

"Cain knows you'll be here alone, so he'll be checking up on you from time to time." he then said.

"And you know that if something goes wrong, or if something happens, do not hesitate to call me." he went on. "I can be back in a fraction of a second, and you know it." he added.

This always happened when he was about to be away from here for any extended time period. 'Extra-dote' mode seemed to engage.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 06:52:55 )

Lunet just laughed.

"Don't worry Dad. I'm going to be seventeen in a couple months. I'll be fine." She assured him.

"I may be blind, but I got my visor. Don't worry." She added before pausing.

"I can text you with daily updated, ifit'll help you feel better though."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 07:20:34 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Hal paused for a moment, before sighing heavily.

"No, no." he said.

"You're right, you're almost 17, and you're almost an adult now." he said further.

"I need to be able to trust you to look after yourself, and I know you or someone else will let me know if something happens." he continued, talking himself down from being too smothering and extra-doting.

He then got closer and kissed her forehead.

"Have fun having the run of the place." he told her with a chuckle.

"Love you, sweetie." he finished.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 07:30:34 )

"Love you too dad." Lunet said before giving him a hug.

"I'll make sure to clean up after the parties." she told him after stepping back a few seconds with a laugh.

"Beyond that, get going before Mom loses her patience." She added.

"I'll be fine. And Cain will be here most of the time anyway, so there won't be any issues. You know that he's reliable if I need someone."

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 07:49:09 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Hal nodded in response.

"All right." he replied.

"Bye, sweetheart!" he called to her as he made his way to the edge of the driveway. Once he was there, he got into the waiting taxi (which he ordered for paper trail reasons, and because he wanted to leave his car in the garage), and it drove away.

He waved to her as he left, and she watched until the vehicle was out of sight.

Completely.

He was gone, and she was alone now.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 07:59:00 )

Lunet just waved farewell, before laughing lightly.

"If only you know what it was I was planning..." She said quietly once she closed the door. She grabbed her phone and sighed lightly before sending a text.

He's gone was all it said. The recipient knew what it meant.

He could come over for their little project at any time.

She had about a week and a half to two weeks completely free and without her Dad around.

Voltie — The Dude Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 08:05:35 )
One.. by... one.
Can it be.. undone?

Sure enough, about 30 seconds later, there was a knock on the door.

And when she answered it, she saw the person she had been texting... Leo.

"Yo." he greeted her.

"All right, I'm here." he said.

"What we doing?" he asked.

"And how we doing this?" he asked further.

Why can't I just be
The one
For once!?
"There is no shame in deterrence. Having a weapon is very different from actually using it." - Ghandi

Donator — Female Posted 4 years ago ( 2020/02/5 08:08:54 )

"I've managed to acquire almost all that you told me to." Lunet told him honestly as he stepped in and she closed the door.

"The main thing I haven't managed yet, is that quality imitation skin you suggested. I honestly haven't found anywhere local I could grab, since since Dad's got access to my paypal account, I definitely couldn't buy it through there." She added with a sigh.

"Beyond that, I've got everything else up in my closet. Including the means to edit, weld, and the like some metal."

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.