Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Entertainment Favorite Greek Myths

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 16:44:47 )

So what are y'alls favorite Greek myths? Mine is Eros and Psyche, which you could argue inspired the original Beauty and the Beast stories.

The basics of the myth is this:
A pretty princess wanted a hubby, some god shenanigans happen (specifically Aphrodite shenanigans). And she is married to the Greek god Eros (Aphrodite's son). Originally she wanted Eros to do something mean to poor Psyche. He accidentally hits himself with one of his own love arrows and falls in love with her. Eros is the Greek version of Cupid. Anyway after they're married Eros is all 'Okay we're married and I love you, but you can never look at me'. So she has no idea what he looks like. Her sisters totally jelly of her new hubby being so rich and awesome, tell her that if he doesn't want to be seen he must be a horrible monster. They bitch about him enough to convince her to sneak a look at him. One night she sneaks into his room while he's sleeping, and sees that he's Eros and hot af. But she spills candle wax on him and gets caught breaking the one rule he had for her. Angry he throws her out and complains to his mother about humans. Aphrodite is all hell no about the situation. Psyche begs Aphrodite to make Eros give her another chance. Aphrodite being Aphrodite decided alright sure, but do some shit for me first. All these tasks being designed to hurt, punish, and basically kill Psyche. Eros is done being mad by this point. Rescues her from one of the tasks, and they live happily ever after. More or less.

This video explains it far better than myself.:
https://youtu.be/HLo1jZA1iVw

I skipped some bits, but that's the general gist of the story.

The myth of Selena and Endymion is also a good one. Mostly because it's where a lot of Sailor Moons English names and story comes from.
https://youtu.be/KL6o6glC6Fg

Um yeah, so favorites?

Donator — Whatever Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 18:34:50 )
Are ya ready, guyz?!

Depending on the version, Persephone and Hades
Some she's kidnapped, some she willingly goes with him, some she just goes in without Hades even knowing and "hey I like this I'm moving in" and Hades is just "who are you what are you doing here"

Also the fact that 90% of Greek myths is And Then Zeus Was Horny is hilarious

Put ya guns awn!

quest♀Shop

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 18:45:15 )

@Kitalpha Hart: Yeah Zeus trying to bang everything in sight, can be a really fun read. Not for his poor victims, but fun for everyone else.
I'm a big fan of Persephone and Hades actually being in love. And that she's waaaaaaaaay scarier than he is.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:05:12 )

@Bioshock: A lot. Zeus doesn't just go after ladies, sometimes he'll do dudes too. Apollo also has a few myths centered around him wanting to bang a dude. Not Greek, but Loki has a lot of not straight myths too.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:12:54 )

@Bioshock: Unfortunately yeah. And a lot of the time love interests just end up dead. Anyone Apollo likes ends up dead or turned into something. Annnd there's the Greeks being totally cool with non-con shota.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:22:34 )

@Bioshock: True. Not as far as ancient Greeks were concerned though. It was very very legal, and very encouraged. They believed it would turn young boys into men.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:24:26 )

@Bioshock: It's in there too. Consent wasn't considered in a lot of the myths.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:33:36 )

@Bioshock: I guess so. Which is why a lot of people prefer modern spins on the myths.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:45:32 )

@Bioshock: Thing is though, it's future writing that created the meanness of Medusa. Her assault never happened in the earliest form of the myth. She was just created evil. It was much later when that got added in.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 19:47:15 )

@Bioshock: That's fair.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/10 22:11:43 )
I worship the goddess Eris. She started the first war of men accidentally, when a bunch of jerks didn't invite her to a party. Jerks.

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/11 17:46:46 )

I don't know many Greek myths but I love Medusa. Does that count?

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/11 17:51:05 )

@inatlaka: That does indeed count. ^w^
@Glume: I've heard of that one. That's the thing that triggered the Trojan War yee?

Donator — Divine Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/11 17:59:43 )

@another movie addict: Now I will have to read her whole story. I fell in love with her at a young age. All I knew was she turned people to stone and she had snake hair.

°<°art by KeturahπŸ–€πŸ¦–πŸ–€

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/11 19:38:58 )

@inatlaka: There's a few different versions of her. One is when she's just created ugly and evil. And the more modern and more well known version is of her being rped and Hera getting pissed about it. So turned her into a monster.

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/12 14:18:29 )
@Another Movie Addict: It is! I'm always upset because they never include that bit when they re-tell the story. Forever snubbed.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/12 14:31:46 )
I'm so rusty on myths right now but man I love them

I've been reading the chatter in this thread and I'm like yes yes these are all familiar!!

I do also like Eris. discord bby
I named one of my accounts after her on another avatar site lol

● ● ● e
and after love and loss and all the tears that I cried, I find that here we are in the future

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/12 15:12:57 )

@Glume: I mean a lot of the retellings also act like Helen had any say or choice in the matter. She really didn't though.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.