Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Language Learning

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/10 02:05:46 )

Bringing this thread back because I've recently started learning Russian! I just started a week ago, and so far I think pronunciation is the hardest thing for me to get used to. I've started making some Anki cards, and I'm using this site along with a PDF of The New Penguin Russian Course that I found. So far I've learned the alphabet and a handful of words, and now I'm learning pronunciation rules.

As for Korean, I've been reviewing Anki cards, watching some children's shows and random YouTube videos, and doing some reading.

Voltie — Dude/bro Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/19 04:10:26 )
Hi, I'm actually using Duolingo to learn Swedish and I find it easy and actually kind of fun because most of the words are pretty similar to the english ones, and they're both sort of germanic languages.

Donator — They/Them Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/23 06:03:28 )
I want to make it a goal for my in life to be fluent in Spanish. I know words and can understand some basics, but I cant speak full sentences or truly understand a conversation without help. I'm taking classes for my spring semester of college to start going, got an app downloaded to help me more, and my coworkers said they'll help me as well. I hate having a language barrier.
Comic | Cosplay

Voltie — Dude/bro Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/23 07:11:35 )
Considering where I live learning Swedish is kind of a useless language choice for me to learn because you don't really ever come across swedes in the united states, but like I still have fun with it.
I'm proud of it but at the same time if an actual swede came across me speaking my absolutely disgusting Swedish they would be horrified or at least embarrassed.
Doesn't help that I sort of have an accent.

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/25 00:22:00 )
@Evilcupcakecat: Korean and Russian are probably somewhat useless to me as well with where I live, but I enjoy learning them, and I can always watch videos, read, and listen to songs~

Voltie — Dude/bro Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/27 00:12:26 )
@Starlight: To be honest, the only useful languages in my area are Spanish or Hmong. but I'm already in the middle of learning Swedish and I do not want to learn two languages at once. Plus there's really no way to learn Hmong, you can learn Spanish on duolingo, but no matter where I look on the internet you cannot learn hmong. Plus it's a tonal language and I feel like I would have a very hard time with that.

Voltie Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/30 14:39:12 )
I'm currently trying to learn Italian. It has been an interesting process so far - I've learned a lot, but there is so much more that I really need to learn!

I love that there are so many people posting here who are learning other languages, btw! <3

┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/30 22:19:51 )
@Evilcupcakecat: I feel like Spanish would probably be the most useful here as well, and I might try to learn it at some point, but there are other languages that appeal to me more at the moment. Tonal languages are interesting; I think it would be fun to learn Mandarin one day

Voltie — Dude/bro Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/31 05:11:28 )
@Starlight: I want to learn hmong because it would make my job a lot easier because there's a lot of people who immigrated here who only speak hmong and it's very hard to communicate with them. But I've heard Hmong people speaking and I don't think I can ever get the hang of it considering if you say one sound wrong or in the wrong tone it can mean something completely different. Like with Swedish it is not a tonal language but I think it has sort of like a pitch accent thing going on which is also hard to take into consideration.
Male/20/gay/sad. :(
I usually only check this site like once or twice a day so it might take me a bit to respond.

Voltie — She/They Posted 3 years ago ( 2020/12/31 06:12:58 )
@Evilcupcakecat: Yeah, I'd be be worried about messing up the tones too. There are some dialects of Korean that have a pitch accent as well, but the Seoul dialect, which is the one I'm learning, doesn't.

★~~Questing~~★

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.