Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Language Learning

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/4 22:55:40 )
I've been seriously trying to learn Korean for about two years now, although I took a break from learning for several months earlier this year. Since I got back into learning, I've mostly just been reading various things and plugging some new vocab into Anki, and I recently started reading through the first Harry Potter book using Learning with Texts. I also listen to a lot of Korean music, and I can tell that reading is helping with my listening comprehension as well.

There are other languages that I might be interested to learn in the future, but I'm not sure what order I'd like to learn them in or if I'd actually like to learn all of them. The languages in question are Spanish, Mandarin, Japanese, and Hindi. I really want to learn Spanish, and I actually tried to start learning Spanish earlier this year, but I kind of just decided to focus on Korean for now. I did take two years of Spanish in school, but that didn't go very well after our teacher went on maternity leave and we were left with a substitute teacher that didn't even know Spanish.

I do have a language learning log here(and an old one here) but I haven't been updating it very consistently.

What languages have you learned or are you currently learning? How long have you been learning them? Feel free to talk about anything else related to language learning as well~

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 00:07:58 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Ooooh, you have a lot of languages on your list that you want to learn. My major was in languages, so I’m always happy to see someone else eager to learn as much as they can. ^^

I studied French from middle school until my second year of Uni, German for a year back in high school, Japanese for almost 10 years (I worked in Japan and now I’m doing translation work and tutoring Uni students taking Japanese), and now I’m lazily learning Korean on my own (though I’m nowhere near your level or able to talk/listen on my own yet).
I want to learn sign language too, but oooooof. I feel so burned out these days.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 01:13:11 )
@Cookie: This is what Learning with Texts is. It's a program where you can put texts in and go through marking words based on if you know them, if you're learning them/how well you know them, and such. Words you know will be underlined with green, and words you're learning will be highlighted in red, orange, yellow, or green depending on how well you know them. You can also ignore a word if it's just like a name or something that isn't really a word you need to learn. Also, you can add online dictionaries of your choosing to the program to look up and add definitions for words, so if you see the word again later on and don't remember it then you can always check the definition you added.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 01:27:33 )

@Cookie: keep it lol (unless you already changed it)

I will be forever learning Japanese. I’m not good enough to use it in the workplace but I am good enough to get around in Japan no problem.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 04:08:45 )

@Cookie: Yeah unless you are using it daily, there comes a point where you can't really get better with the language. Luckily the internet helps, it's faster than an old fashioned pen pal but still hard.

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 18:47:40 )
@Tsundererra: I'd like to learn sign language as well, but with the other language I want to learn I'm not sure if I'll get around to it any time soon sadly.

@Cookie: Yeah, it's a lot of info. It took me awhile to get around to using it because of that, but I like using it now that I got it all set up~

@Totalanimefan: That's pretty good! I don't know if my Korean would ever be good enough to use for work either. I mainly focus on input rather than output, so my speaking skills are sorely lacking.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 18:50:40 )

@Starlight: I get too nervous when I’m out on the spot like that and I feel like I can’t make a mistake. It makes me go quiet.

Voltie — She/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 18:58:22 )
@Totalanimefan: That makes sense, I would probably be the same way now that I think about it. Also, I'd worry that I was wasting their time or something if I was taking too long to say what I needed to.

★~~Questing~~★

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 20:00:02 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Starlight: From what I learned being a linguist major, the languages that should be easiest to learn with little time to dedicate would be the Romance languages (Spanish, French, etc.) and German, and the hardest would be Mandarin and then Japanese. It’s also harder to learn a language the older you get, but not impossible if you study enough. I’ve heard sign language is pretty easy too, but I’m weird with movement xD

@Totalanimefan: I’m sure your level would be fine for working some jobs in Japan. Japanese peeps are pretty understanding that their language is hard for foreigners, so they don’t expect us to be perfect. Like I used to talk to my supervisor and school principals casually because they understood that all that super polite/honorifics talk is harder for me. (Was a double edged sword because some teachers would overhear and refer to me as san or chan instead of sensei in front of the students. =__=)

And as someone who used to teach a second language to people, I used to tell my students it’s ok to make mistakes since it’s the best way to learn. I was mostly good with input and pretty much zero output until I was forced to try because no one knew English around me. I made A LOT of mistakes, but it helped me improve my skills. Though if you’re only learning a language to be able to read and not communicate, then that’s ok too (me with Korean xD)

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 20:45:19 )

@Tsundererra: thanks. I think I would be ok working retail or a school but not an office job with keigo ^^;
@Starlight: yeah or I’m not polite enough.
@Cookie: what is your first language? I used to be fluent in ASL I studied it for two years with a deaf teacher. I really liked it. But then I moved to England which their’s is nothing like ASL and then on top of then I learned Japanese. I’m not a linguist I just like Japanese and ASL. ^^; now when I see ASL I’m like I remember that sign, but what did it mean?!? Lol

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 21:00:05 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: I feel like retail jobs require more polite speech (omg, I have a rant story about one store that REFUSED to speak more casually to me to resolve an issue I had... f*cking docomo). But I have come across non-fluent foreigners working in restaurants, convenience stores, cram schools, and hotels. :)

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 23:10:40 )

@Tsundererra: yeah the job in question was working in an office using office Japanese and I was like nope lol
I hate it when stories do that even when you ask but they are probably afraid of getting in trouble. Also Martin told me that they don’t use keigo at Apple at all. Even in the store. It’s just Desu/Masu.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/5 23:43:36 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: I think a lot of those office jobs have a min requirement of N2 or higher proficiency, so if you have that in the bag, you’re golden even if you don’t feel confident. ^^

Ehhhh, I think the clerk I was dealing with was xenophobic. Like when I first came with my Japanese supervisor, he was ok with helping me, but when I came alone, he was like NOPE. When I came with my senpai who speaks fluently and is American, he was like NOPE, I CAN ONLY SPEAK TO THE ACTUAL CUSTOMER, AND IF SHE CAN’T SPEAK, TOO BAD. >__>
Martin is right, and Apple was the one who helped resolve my problem in the end. :’) But oof, at phone stores like Docomo or SoftBank, it is not desu/masu. The SoftBank peeps were willing to bring it down to that level when they saw our eyes glaze over, but Docomo is like FORGET YOU, GAIJINSAAAAN. GET GOOD. xD

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 00:03:17 )

@Tsundererra: I’m not sure which one I am. I should take the test.
Ugh I hate it when that happens! It’s so frustrating.
Apple coming around to save the Gaijin!

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 00:06:44 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: You should take it if you want to, but I don’t think it’s necessary unless you want to work there. My super fluent senpai is prolly N1, but he never tested. My other coworker was N1, and she was even amazed by this senpai. :)

Wish Apple would solve my other problems, like why my screenshots always look blurry and why my iPhone can’t connect to my switch. :T GET TO WORK, MARTIN.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 04:07:29 )

@Tsundererra: Yeah Martin, you don't even work on hardware or iPhone but FIX THIS NOW.
Actually I'll ask him about the blurry screenshots. Could you describe it more?

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 04:16:43 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

@Totalanimefan: Martin is from the UK. He is magical and knows everything. 😤
It’s like the things I screenshot or save directly on my phone looks noticeably low res. I first noticed it when I was saving one of my avi looks to submit to a contest, and the image always looked slightly low res blurry... but it didn’t when I tried to save it on my laptop or iPad.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 04:22:25 )

@Tsundererra: He said he's never heard of that bug and then went back to working! Hahaha RIP you.
I'll ask him again when he's not working.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — haunting Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/14 16:54:35 )
i'm another korean learner. half of my family is korean (by marriage).

i almost married a korean man as well, which sped my language learning up a lot since his parents only speak korean, but that dissolved and now i'm at a weird stage with it. i honestly got kind of put off by it and haven't studied in a while and can feel it fading.

hello again

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/21 10:42:13 )
I've always wanted to learn Japanese. By chance some random person recommended that I take the classes offered by my university. I ended up studying for 2 years, which was all pretty intense given that there was constantly new material to take in 5 days per week. I still find conversing with native speakers pretty challenging, but it was enough knowledge to read/write basic everyday things and understand shows like Terrace House. For anyone interesting in learning languages, I think textbooks are definitely the way to go (unless you can live in the actual country, immersion is better), and you try to supplement that with hobbies in line with your goals so you do a little everyday. :) We used the Nakama textbooks in class, and I'm considering getting Tobira for further learning (super rusty!). xD Textbooks are great because it'll cover characters, syntax, and vocab in a structured/incremental way, and you'll have something to compare your mistakes with.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.