Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk sh*tty holiday support thread

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/28 10:30:25 )
maybe you have seasonal depression. maybe the holidays give you anxiety. maybe you can't stand spending time with your family. maybe you don't have anyone to spend your holidays with. that's ok! this thread is here so you don't have to go it alone <3

this is a space to vent and get help from others because the holidays can be a particularly stressful time for a lot of people.

NOTE: if you need to vent about something particularly triggering, such as sexual assault or suicidal ideation, please put it behind a spoiler with a warning as a courtesy to others.
like this!

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1(800)273-TALK (8255)
Crisis Text Line: text "HELLO" or "START" to 741741
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 1(800)799-7233
Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN): (800)656-HOPE (4673)
Childhelp National Child Abuse Hotline: 1(800)422-4453
Trevor Lifeline (LGBTQ crisis prevention): (866)488-7386
Trevor Text Line (LGBTQ crisis prevention): text "START" to 678678
The Trans Lifeline: (877)565-8860
National Runaway Safeline: 1(800)786-2929

Voltie — he/him Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/28 10:44:10 )
thanks for this thread!
i never liked thanksgiving. my parents would make me say that i am thankful for them. im not and never was, lmao. not thankful for living a broken abusive childhood and definitely not thankful for the ones who caused it

now i live far away from them, and i don't pay the holiday any mind
it's just an all around shitty holiday for all sorts of reasons for all sorts of people. at least i get 3 days off of school though

Donator — she/they Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/28 13:18:08 )
I'm really glad I'm not the only one.

I'm a dark and brooding metal head, so people assume my hatred of the holidays is some sort of statement about how dark and brooding I am, and I get a lot of flak for it. People want to wish me happy holidays extra hard, sing songs I can't stand extra loud, and then laugh at my lack of spirit. The truth is, every holiday from Thanksgiving to New years has taken a loved one away from me. Wishing me a happy holiday? I appreciate the sentiment, but its really not going to happen. This time of year is cursed. It was the same when I worked in a nursing home... more residents passed away for the holidays. Its the same for a lot of people I know, too.

Once I had the magic taken away, I started to see how any real celebrations had been twisted into making people constantly spend money they didn't have. Home-made gifts just don't land the same in your 30's. If I don't spend more money than I have this time of year, I'm also riddled with guilt. I've always been the type to buy gifts for people when I want to, and this whole need to do it on a specific day makes it feel meaningless.

Not to mention, the person who used to be the center of my holiday enjoyment, my grandmother, did something so vile, evil, and reprehensible, that my family was torn apart. She lives at my mothers house now, so I rarely get to see her, and she committed the heinous act against my aunt, who is also sadly mostly removed from my life.

The only bright side is that my cousin is coming over to my house today. I havent really seen her since my wedding... and once in the hospital when we thought my crap-grandma was going to die (no such luck.... thanks a lot holidays!). I want to take the holidays back... I'm never going to celebrate christmas or thanksgiving or new years, but I can make my own holidays, build my own family. Maybe make something enjoyable for my child that isn't centered around what you can buy people. Wolfenoot sounds perfect to me

@boyrrito: and @misery: you are welcome to be my online family during these frustrating times. We can celebrate each other instead of colonization and imaginary jolly dudes.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/28 17:22:10 )

I love that you made this thread. Just so you guys know it’s an emotionally charged day but it’s only for one day. You guys can get through this.

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/1 00:11:11 )
@boyrrito: @Glume: thanksgiving is now over, so the christmas season is beginning. i'm sorry i wasn't online on thursday to talk! i was busy with my own family, and i had a really awkward thanksgiving, which is better than a bad one, i suppose. i did a bit of shopping online on black friday, not much, but enough to get started on buying gifts for my loved ones. i agree with you glume that the gift-giving part of the holiday feels superficial. i love the idea of giving to my friends, but having a set time for it makes it feel less natural. christmas songs and movies are going to be playing at all times and i'm not excited at all for that, but it is what it is. cheers to the end of thanksgiving! and good luck for the rest of the holiday season. <3

@Totalanimefan: thank you! and you're right, it thankfully is just the one day.

Donator — Fujoshi Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/1 00:50:37 )
TSUN TSUN TSUN (︿)

Like everyone else has said, I’m glad I’m not the only one.

I’m estranged from not just my parents, but most of my extended family. They tried to cover up something really traumatic that happened to me as a kid, and it wasn’t until I saw a therapist that I realized it wasn’t my fault. When I was a student, I would go to my friends’ houses for Thanksgiving and the Holidays, but now those same friends have started their own families or moved far away, so it’s just me. For Thanksgiving, I made tofurkey and enough sides for myself, and then went Black Friday shopping. Tbh, I prefer this over having to deal with my family any day.

( ) DERE DERE DERE

The truth behind Reaping Ritual 2019

Art by the rightful Mayor, Kiwi

Donator — She/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/1 01:27:37 )

@Tsundererra: I’m really sorry that you had to go through that. It’s really awful.
@misery: yeah of course it feels way longer when you are doing through it!

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/1 02:02:01 )
@Tsundererra i'm sorry :( i'm glad you at least had a better thanksgiving than before!

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/1 14:44:29 )

Well, I was "lucky" enough to have stomach pains on Thanksgiving which prevented me from going to that family gathering. But now Christmas is coming up, and I probably won't have any way of escaping that (short of a hospital stay, which I'd rather not since I have work to go to--but probably not on Christmas day, alas) since people will just come here. I should have been moved out years ago, and could have if the person who owns the house I was supposed to be renting hadn't messed it up by hiring cheap. Now it's still not livable and I'm still stuck at Grandma's. And I'm only getting older... But I can't afford rent anywhere else, so what am I supposed to do? Bring on yet another holiday wasted being miserable and stuck in someone else's house, surrounded by people I either barely know or can't stand to be around, all faking nice like everything is normal when it's not and never has been.

Thank you for this thread btw, this is a very good idea.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/6 04:15:43 )
@Uncledaddy: yikes that sounds really awful. i know issues with living situations are always tricky so i hope that you'll be able to find peace for the upcoming winter holidays at the very least. sorry i'm getting back to you hella late, but if you still want to talk, i'm here

Voltie — they/he/it Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/26 00:09:42 )
bumping in case anyone needs to vent this christmas

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/12/27 01:14:23 )
Thank you so much for linking the hotlines! I think it is very important people know there is help available.

My holiday was not very good but I know I have friends who are there for me. I may not have a lot but at least I know someone loves me. I think someone loves you too!
https://streamable.com/l8ysz

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.