Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk another halloween wasted (long rant)

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/10/31 15:29:26 )

Should have expected it, really. Every year since childhood, something stupid always has to be going on. This year it's the flu. I was already gonna be limited to passing out candy at grandma's house, but my partner was going to come over and we'd find something else to do that night or the next day. We were smart enough to go to a haunted attraction earlier in the month, so at least it hasn't been a total waste, but it would be nice to be able to celebrate on Halloween. So I went through all the trouble of decorating and buying treats, only for both of us to get sick. We both got our flu shots and we both got the flu--or at least a really nasty cold. I don't know the difference and I don't care; I'm mad. Had to call in to work today and hope they'd be understanding after already scheduling me to get out early enough that I wouldn't miss trick or treat hours. Went to work sick yesterday and it was at least tolerable, so I thought maybe that was the worst of it. Then I spent all night getting up to blow my nose, drink water, and take cough drops and nasal spray because of course the sore throat and stuffy nose wait until I'm trying to sleep to finally kick in. It always waits for night. Got hardly any sleep, woke up feeling achy with the chills, and knew there was no way I'd make it through another work day. IDK what I'm gonna do about the candy. Put gloves and a mask on and hope I don't pass out the flu alongside it? Make my grandma do the whole thing? Last year I was depressed because our plans to meet up and do things together got ruined (of course), so I just left everything on a little table outside and let the kids help themselves. Which they did, and it's always the teenagers in sweatshirts who don't even bother participating who will keep sneaking back in for more or just run off with the whole thing.
Now I get to tear down all my hard work in a day or two without even getting to enjoy it in the first place. And once again pray that "next year will be different", all while knowing it probably won't.
I'm just so sick of everything tbh; it's not just Halloween (my favorite time of year, which now gives me anxiety because I always anticipate something going wrong--and it always does), it's my whole life. My best efforts are worthless. It never matters how much I put into something, how much planning or work or research or followup I do; it all comes down to outside factors--i.e. other people, more often than not--screwing up in ways beyond my control. How am I supposed to contend with that? There's only so much one person with no money or friends can do in this world. Everyone who goes around saying things like "You are in control of your own destiny" and "It gets better" obviously hasn't lived my life.

Donator Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/10/31 16:25:05 )
I'm sorry and I hope you feel better! If it helps your not the only one... it's snowing here and were in the middle of moving so my house is in total disaray. Plus it's the first Halloween since Sig Other's Dad died and our son dosen't want to go Trick Or Treating this year because of it.(We always used to go over to their house, and we would walk around their neighborhood and sometimes have dinner at Grandma and Grandpa's. She moved to an assisted living place and got even more bitter than she already was so my son(and us) don't like to be around her that much, plus she's kinda a mean drunk(specially to my SO and our son) so add that to the equation. Plus my son is 12 and is starting to get into that mindset that he's getting too old for Halloween.(Which I think is total BS, and I think he should be a kid for as long as he can be and have fun, etc. But he just dosen't want to.)

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/10/31 18:53:29 )

aww, I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like things are pretty hard on you all this year. I hope the move goes well at least. That's just another added stress on top of everything. I'd offer you a hug if I weren't so gross and germy!

i agree on letting kids be kids while they can.
i rememberr my mom made me stop trick or treating at 12 and I had to watch my friends go without me while she took my little sister and I had to stay and pass out the candy...
maybe you can find something different to do together with your son that will make him feel a little better.

Donator — He/They Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/10/31 23:04:25 )

as if i needed more to go wrong, now it's pouring down rain. We're not even gonna get any trick-or-treaters. All of this was literally for nothing.

AKA Count Trashula

Voltie — she/her Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/3 20:01:19 )
This happens to me every year for almost every holiday anymore.
Its usually other people flake out on me or their promise to do something was a lie all along. They never truly wanted to.

Its hard to celebrate without people. But we ought to set up our own traditions for at home <3
I am leaving Voltra
Find my links here

08 22 22

Voltie Posted 4 years ago ( 2019/11/3 20:05:32 )
I'm sorry that your Halloween was spoiled by being sick! That's no fun at all. Hopefully you and your partner are feeling better now (good thought, a little too late, I know, but why drag out being sick, ya know?)
┤▒├ Hangout with me! ┤▒├

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.