Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat People really need to stop putting their pets in service dog vests.

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/6 19:52:24 )

The Queen Declares...

Okay so, people need to stop putting their pets in service dog vests just to take them places with them. It's not good for anyone involved.
Today I ran into someone who clearly was doing just that. Her dog had a vest on but he was pulling things off of shelves, he saw my dog and tried to pull over to him. The owner was like "oh it's okay, he's friendly!"
I was like, "no it's not okay, my dog is doing a job."

People like this are why we get so many questions and watched so closely; which ups my anxiety a lot sometimes.

This isn't the first time this has happened to us. Once at Target a dog ran at my dog, this dog was also wearing a vest.
It's dangerous.

/rant

It is October, time to get spooky.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/6 19:57:47 )

Yes! Yes to all of this.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/6 20:00:48 )

The Queen Declares...

@Totalanimefan: it has to be stressful on the pets too. They're not trained to be in stores in such small aisles with people.

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/7 00:59:00 )

The Queen Declares...

ALSO. Some of these people buy those weird fake service dog IDs. I get asked for Everest's ID sometimes. THAT'S NOT A THING YALL. Legally he doesn't even need the vest. But an ID is a scam.

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/7 01:19:10 )

Like, I love my pets as much as anyone, but I know better than to take them to stores and public places without proper training??? Why do people do this? It's beyond irresponsible.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/7 01:22:29 )

The Queen Declares...

@Priestess of Pie: Yeah, like I get that people love and miss their pets but they're not trained to be out where service animals have been. It's just extra worse when they try to pass their pet off as a service animal because it makes us all look bad.

Donator — Your Queen Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/7 21:21:42 )

The Queen Declares...

@SirLionelNigelConrad: something definitely needs to be done because I'm tired of being followed around by employees and seeing clearly pets in vests at stores, getting told pets aren't allowed in stores. I'm like yes I know but he's not a pet, he's a service dog. It's frustrating.

I sell art.
I'm buying art.

Voltie — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/7 21:55:05 )
I agree. I'm a librarian, and have colleagues who have to kick people out for letting their "therapy animals" roam around unsupervised. As somebody who also has psych training, it frustrates me to see people ruining the therapy animal thing for those who need them. I know how important they are.
I have many issues, gender things among them
I also have a ballet obsession and an unhealthy interest in Sonic the Hedgehog games. Take as you will, haha!
@ me, yo!

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/10/8 05:32:20 )

I'm surprised they even bother with the vests, considering you don't need them. Do they really think an ill-behaved pet is gonna be more convincing with a vest on? pff.
At the store I worked at, we were taught not to question anyone's service animals. If someone brings in an animal, knowing that pets are not allowed, we have to assume it's a service animal and we cannot ask if it's legitimate. Between that and the fact that there's no form of proof or penalty for fake service animals, I doubt this'll change any time soon. At least the store can ask someone to leave if their animal gets disruptive.

AKA Count Trashula

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.