Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat First day of work

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 18:06:06 )

I got the job, and though it is only temporary and part time, I'm excited to finally start.

Of all the things to be anxious about, weirdly enough, it's bringing lunch. I have this little niggling fear that I'm gonna show up with this doofy red lunchbox and they'll look at me and go "You know you only get a 15 minute break because you're only here for 6 hours right?" or "Oh, we don't have space for that/a fridge/a microwave..." But the schedule said I got a lunch break today, and I would assume I at least get a 15 minute break if nothing else, and if I'm gonna be there for 6 hours, I'd probably wanna eat something, right? EH. My last job was so weird about breaks and breakroom stuff, I think it managed to give me lunchbox anxiety somehow lol.

But that aside, wish me luck guys 'cause I gotta get ready to go now and be out the door in a minute.

Donator — she, her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 18:11:08 )

@uncledaddy: Best of luck!!
My old job was weird about lunch breaks because they had to legally give you one if you worked six + hours.
They’d be sneaky and schedule you for five hours and forty five minutes to work around it.

Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 18:29:30 )

The rules regarding breaks can vary wildly between jobs. I've had some that were super strict and some that don't care as long as you're doing your job. I've heard that the seasonal stores like that are pretty lax and usually a fun place to work. I'm sure you'll have it figured out soon.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 20:13:14 )

It’s good to see you are in a better work place. And that you have time for lunch and bathroom breaks.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 20:24:42 )

/ | \
" @Uncledaddy: hiya there! im nebby - we havent met ^^ i do wish you the best of luck!

at my job, we have to take a lunch if we work more than six hours. below, doesnt. we can have longer lunches but it just means we get off later. as an employment agency for adults with disabilities, most places who have full-time employees have break/lunch rooms with appliances. we have to advocate to ensure our individuals have a place to take a break and lunches (if theyre full time). i hope it is more clear once you start and get a feel for the place.

also congratulations 🎉 ! "

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/09/20 23:56:03 )

thanks y'all
i did get a lunch break, but I'm eating my food in my car and hoping the lunch box kept it fresh enough cause I don't think we have a proper break room lol. next time I'll just go to the McDonald's or something..
and good to know I'm not alone in my weirdness. I've only got a couple minutes left, so I can't reply individually rn but things are going ok so far. struggling with the cash register but I'll learn it eventually

AKA Count Trashula

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.