Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Why are things so expensive??

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/14 09:10:12 )
Like seriously.
Was looking online for some nice lamps, something in like an antique brass color and the prices for some lamps were ridiculous. And some of them were kind of ugly. There was one lamp. Shaped like a duck, with a lampshade over its head. $180 bucks. Just. What. A hecking duck lamp.

And mirrors. Holy heck.

Time to hit the thrift shops I guess.

Donator — He Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/14 09:20:19 )

thats the thing about antique & unique things
the owner can price it however they want xD
i would go for the mass produced ones, they are usually cheaper

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/14 10:19:53 )
A lot of mainstream stores like Target or something like TV Maxx usually have interesting things for a bit less.
A lot of pieces can be found that look old, but have newer components, like wiring in the case of lamps.
A lot of the pieces seen in thrift stores may not have been used for a while.
If you find a lamp you like but it's in rough shape, they do sell ready-made kits that include all the bits to replace the wiring.
Just be careful, is all.

Soapbox: Közi works with machines, and electricity is one scary mofo. XD

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/14 11:12:13 )
There are some good thrift stores in my town, though there is one I haven't been to yet. Found a really nice lamp for the living room at one recently, with lampshade only cost 5 bucks.

I am looking for some things that are older looking. My house is nearly 120 years old. Been trying to find a vintage door knob recently for an interior door but I'm having a hard time finding one in roughly the same time period as the house.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/08/15 03:28:02 )
@Kay: have you tried looking at hobby lobby? I know the one near me has a lot of antique-looking knobs, lamps, chests, etc. for pretty reasonable prices.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.