Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat How do you stay motivated to clean your living space?

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 00:37:52 )
My bedroom is a mess but I keep getting distracted and easily overwhelmed. What are your methods for overcoming this? I get over it eventually, but it takes way too long to get to that point.

Donator — ♥? Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 00:47:56 )

I personally find that if it’s messy, get it over with. You will achieve happiness by just cleaning it.
After that, you just got to realize, tidying up after yourself only takes 15 mins, especially if it’s just your bedroom.
Every morning, make your bed, tidy your clothes and put any used products away, if you don’t have time in the morning, it’s the first thing you do when you get home.
It takes 3 months to make yourself a routine, a clean bedroom is really good for your mental health.

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 01:45:32 )
hide snacks underneath clutter so you'll wanna clean it to get to the snacks

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 01:50:18 )
Personally... I just tend to let go of more and more stuff each year so I don't have to deal with the clutter which is my biggest problem.
That and my hair all over the place which is nothing a quick sweep can't fix.

Donator — ♥? Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 01:50:24 )

Ignore what I said ^ owl wins
Do that

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 03:19:35 )

I struggle with it too.
It could help if you decided what the keep and what to get rid of but if it’s everyday stuff just do your best. A clean room is really good for you mentally.

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 03:52:51 )
@Peachy: You're absolutely right. My energy levels haven't been the best these past few years, but I think I can manage developing good habits with cleaning if I pace myself.

My mother would constantly complain about how filthy our house was despite it always being extremely clean. I feel that it influenced my negative relationship with keeping my own living space maintained. I noticed I'm very organized and tidy in every other aspect of my life, and when I'm staying at someone's house as well. Now how strange is that?

@owl: Knowing me I'd take the lazy person's way out and move junk aside to get to the snacks without cleaning anything.

@Ixora: Ah yes, I would like to downsize the number of things I own. Maybe you can knit a rug from your hair?

@Peachy: owl is a genius.

@Totalanimefan: That is true! It's too bad that poor mental health tends to impede people from doing the things that would help improve it. It's a relentless cycle.

[Quests][Store]

Donator — ♥? Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 04:03:25 )

@kira: i can understand where you are coming from with the relationship via your mom and cleanliness.

I’m currently going through the situation myself, I wasn’t upkeeping the apartment like before, but I found just clearing the floor and making my bed lifted a weight off of me.
Your bedroom is suppose to be a place of relaxation, and if it’s cluttered and messy, it’s always going to be a problem in the back of your mind.

As for being tidy in others homes probably just comes from having respect for other people’s property.

Right? Literally best idea, I’m sad I’ve already missed out on so many snacks for not thinking of that before!!

FC SW-5104-7051-7446

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 04:15:05 )
@Kira: I need to do some more letting go of stuff soon.
If only I knew how to knit

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 06:28:54 )

Steps at a time. Make the bed. Organize the bookshelf. Organize the drawers/wardrobe/closet. Put dirty laundry in a basket. Even if you only do one step of cleaning a day, tis closer to a clean room than before. Even if all you did was organize that one shelf to fit this one specific item on it that had no space earlier. Slow progress is still progress.
If you need some sort of background noise to remain concentration, mayhap this site has an option for you to utilize.

Item QuestHangoutSales

Donator — She/Crazy Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 07:16:20 )

I just start at one section and work there. Figure which of the things in that section need to be kept or gotten rid of. Which items need to be kept in that area or moved to another section. Make many small piles of the different group types, fanning all around the area I am working in.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 10:37:36 )
X X X

@owl: that works until you have pets.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 12:26:41 )
I will usually start cleaning up when it's gotten fairly cluttered. However... I've found that cleaning up slowly, and not rushing myself during the process helps me hate it less.
Not to mention it starts to feel good, knowing that you’re taking care of yourself.

Voltie — they/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 15:37:44 )
@Tuijp: assistants to cleaning
or a speed run to get to the snacks before the pets do
thank you kid!!

VOLTRA BBCODE AND RESOURCE GUIDE

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 15:41:41 )
X X X

@owl: they just make more mess and they eat fast

Donator — Troglodyte Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 16:27:52 )

I don't. I wanted to clean up yesterday but instead i literally stayed in bed all day.

I do look for tips and what not to get things done like cleaning as you go, or getting as much done as you can in the moment. So often i get little jobs done but not as much as i'd like.
The same sorta thing happens, i get overwhelmed. But then i get frustrated and then i just stop functioning. Not that infunction well to begin with.

I really need/want to set aside a day where i just focus on cleaning the whole damn apartment. I keep saying thst to myself but this place needs it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 16:45:18 )
I would give anything for you to shine down on me

@kira: omg it's so hard for me to be motivated to clean ; A; i really need to clean my bathroom...
i'm doing better with keeping my bedroom clear from piles of clothing cause i have 2 laundry baskets now
and i keep stuffing clothes back into my dresser
dishes continually pile up though ; -;

@ me tho. | Hangout. | OCs. | Avatars.
looking to buy: ARIES

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/3 18:13:14 )

@Kira: yeah it’s a really hard cycle to break. I also wish that when I am motivated (which tends to be at work) I am not an home to clean lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.