Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Hangouts Noctem de Magia Academy (Come and chat!)

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:18:13 )
*~~*Noctem de Magia Academy*~~*
*~*School for Magical Arts*~*

Welcome to all young casters to Noctem de Magia Academy, Voltra's premiere school for the magical arts! Here, should you enroll, you shall learn the arts of illusion, potion-making, magical defense, history of the arcane, and much more. All you have to do is sign up for your classes once you arrive...

Classes, You Say?

Yes, classes. The classes offered at Noctem de Magia are a range, starting with the core basics such as Transfiguration, History of Magic, Magical Defense, Flight, etc. The full list is as follows:
History of Magic Taught by Professor Aldor
Astronomy Taught by Professor Arctus
Physics taught by Professor Arctus
Shadow Studies taught by Professor Daegon
Potions and Alchemy taught by Professor Dara
Swordsmanship taught by Professor Deukhalion
Beast-taming taught by Professor Feuer
Magical Defense Taught by Professor "Erika"
Archery taught by Professor Haldir
Flight taught by Professor Haldir
Mysticism and Psionics taught by Professor Ignis
Herbology taught by Professor Iris
Healing taught by Professor Lapis
Hand-to-Hand taught by Professor Kekkai
Necromancy taught by Professor Lyceriata
Demonology taught by Professor Lyceriata
Spellweaving taught by Professor Raine
Music taught by Professor Raine
Alteration taught by Professor Rilaz
Battlemancy taught by Professor Silph
Charms taught by Professor Tourmaline
Runes and Linguistics taught by Professor Valadia
Core Studies taught by Professor Westfield
Artifice taught by Professor Xavier
Divination taught by Professor Yorora
Mythology taught by Professor Zaladiel

Full descriptions and proper introductions of our professors and the classes they teach can be found in our student manual, as well as in the posts below ^^

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:21:50 )
*~*Rules*~*

-Follow Voltra's TOS.
-Don't be an ass. Trolls will not be tolerated.
-Please try to keep the swearing to a minimum, if possible. Mostly because I don't know how many people are going to wander in here who're underage XP.
-Advertising your own threads in here is fine, just try not to spam everyone with posts with links to it. If you want me to put a link to your hangout/charity/quest thread/etc, feel free to ask here or in PMs.
-If you start a fight with someone, call a site mod. I am not a site mod. I've got no problems with small disagreements and stuff like that (we're all kinda not clones of each other, which would be creepy if we were), but please try not to blow it up into some sort of crazy dramafest.
-Venting is fine, but again--try not to blow it up into a big fat dramafest. Life can sometimes be a pain in the arse, I know. This little corner of Voltra is, hopefully, going to be a nice escape ^^.
-You don't need to stay on-topic and/or in-character the entire time! This is is a hangout with a magical school theme, but that doesn't mean you can't talk about whatever you wish.
-Don't go into the dungeon of the west wing. Just...don't. There's signs posted for a reason. There's been corpses.
-Don't touch Lyceriata's private library. Or annoy him before he's had his coffee. Bad Things tend to happen.
-The walls on the third floor like to shift around every now and then...just try not to get turned around when they do.
-Don't. Hide. The. Maps. Seriously. Those are posted around the school for a reason. If they go missing, you will have detention.
-The tower on the east wing is off-limits. We don't know what's in there, but all we know is that everyone who's gone in has either not come back...or came back only physically. For the safety of students, the tower has been sealed off from the rest of the castle.
-Don't hack the school computer system. We just got it back online, after a couple senious managed to break it last semester.
-Just generally don't be rude ^^. Voltra's a nice place, so I'm pretty sure that's not so much of a problem as other places X'D.

All of these rules have a three-strike rule; you break the rules once, a warning. Twice, a temporary ban. Third, you're expelled (banned) from the thread permanently.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:25:07 )
*~*Faculty*~*

As with all schools, Noctem de Magia has a staff of teachers and employees, who keep the school running smoothly...for the most part, at least. In any case, if anybody here is having trouble in one of their classes, with other students, or with your dorm, feel free to come to one of our faculty at any time.

"Professor" Geist, Headmistress.
You already know me; the runner of the thread, and "official" headmaster of Noctem de Magia. Basically, I'm the head mod of the place, and don't expect a whole lot of in-character things here ^^;. At least, outside RP events, should there be any.

Big ol' Faculty List is below!
Professor Aldor, History of Magic

Anonymous:
I am Professor Tychus Aldor, onetime cleric of Pelor, now professor of History of Magic at Noctem de Magia. I've been teaching here for going on thirty years now, and so far I've yet to be able to choose a favorite year of students--they seem to always manage to outdo each other, in more ways than one.
I realize that for most teenagers, history tends to be rather...dull. I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep in my classes when I was a teen...nor the things I would do in said classes. I usually try my best to make my lessons interactive, and avoid droning on like some of my old teachers. I look forward to meeting this incoming class, and seeing if they outdo last year's.

Professor Arctus, Astronomy
Anonymous:
I'm Professor Arctus, teacher of Astronomy and Physics, as well as head of the school newspaper. I've been teaching here for nearly as long as Professor Silph, but I can assure you that I am wholly human *laughs*.
In classes I try to ensure that the hard science isn't hard at all to understand. As much as I have to keep to the curriculum, I take a page out of Professor Dara's book and let my students work on projects at their own pace.
The mark on my face? That's a...personal matter.

Professor Daegon, Shadow Studies

Anonymous:
I am Professor Daegon. I teach Shadow Studies. I am skilled at my craft and do not tolerate time-wasters in my class, so if you are not serious about pursuing the shadow arts, I suggest you go elsewhere. I will not pander to those who only wish to impress their friends with how "cool" you are.
As for those of you who are serious about my craft...it is difficult. You will fail more than you succeed, and I will not allow anyone to attempt any rituals until I am there to supervise. If any of you children decide to violate this rule of my classroom, the consequences are yours to deal with.

Professor Dara, Potions and Alchemy

Anonymous:
I am Professor Dara Thomson, though y'all can call me Dara. Or Professor Dara, if you're uncomfortable without the formality. I hate being called "Mrs. Thomson" or "Professor Thomson", it makes me feel old. Plus, it sounds stuffy.
Anyway. I teach Potions and Alchemy. I like to keep my classroom relaxed, and I don't care how much Daegon bitches about it. I'm a firm believer in letting students work at their own pace, on the projects they want to rather than what the curriculum says they have to--and it works. As long as my students follow school rules, put all the supplies back where they found them, and don't melt a hole through the floor (that has happened, several times), I don't see any reason to change it.
I will supervise exams and the advanced classes, however. I may keep my class relaxed, but I don't allow anything that'll get kids hurt.

Professor Deukhalion, Swordsmanship

Anonymous:
I am Professor Deukhalion, head of swordsmanship. And despite what the upperclassment have told you of my reputation as a "hardass", I do enjoy teaching. And no, I don't eat students. That is a rumor spread by Mr. Cast, and I can assure you it is false.
Regardless, I run a tight ship. Not for the same reasons as Daegon, but because swords are not toys. There is a reason I don't allow students to practice with the actual weapons until senior year, and even then the blades are dulled. As much as I like my students and enjoy teaching classes, playing with the weapons gets you instant detention. I'd rather everyone pass without any casualties--I may be a demon, but I'm not heartless.

Professor Feuer, Beast-Taming

Anonymous:
I'm Professor Feuer, and in answer to the inevitable questions as to my heritage, I'm an ifrit. For those wondering what an ifrit is, it's someone with a fire genasi ancestor. The longer explanation's more complicated I'm sure, but I'm a teacher. Not a geneticist.
As for what I teach, it's the care, handling, and training of magical creatures. Fire salamanders, elemental sprites, griffins and wyverns...I'm here to teach you how to ally with, train, and care for the creatures of the magical world.

Professor "Erika", Magical Defense

Anonymous:
Ah, hello~o! I am Professor Erika (or Erik) Rosseau, Head of House Dragonscale and teacher of Magical Defense at our beautiful school. And while I do enjoy teaching, I also hope that my lessons will never, ever have to be used.
You see, in a perfect world, we wouldn't have to worry about defending ourselves using magic. But alas, this is not a perfect world, and there are those who would do harm. I am here to ensure that you are prepared with defensive spells and techniques, in the event you're in a situation they're necessary.

Professor Haldir, Archery and Flight

Anonymous:
Welcome, students, to Noctem de Magia! I am Professor Tyrelian Haldir, head of the school anime club and instructor of archery and flight classes. I also handle referree duties for most of the sporting events at this school, and am coach of the archery team.
Unlike the rest of the faculty, I don't teach any advanced classes, so many of my duties lie outside of the classroom.

Professor Ignis, Mysticism and Psionics

Anonymous:
Ahh, hello there. I am Professor Eilas Ignis, and I am here to teach those few of you talented in psionics in how to properly control, use, and master your gift. In my class, you will unlock the secrets of the mind, tame them, control them...and ultimately, control anything you wish. From lifting a pebble, to manipulating memories...or even entire psyches. It's one thing to utterly break someone's mind from within, but it's something else entirely to make it yours without so much as a whisper....

Professor Iris, Herbology

Anonymous:
Oh! My, sorry for not paying attention; the moonblooms have been needing a little encouragement as of late. Ahem, my name is professor Iris, and I teach Herbology here at Noctem de Magia. Many people liken herbology to simply "magical gardening", but it is much more than that; it is knowing the needs of each plant, both mundane and magical...and how to tease out the magical qualities that make them useful.
In addition to my teaching duties, I am head of House Feyspark and coach for the school hockey team. Beware the faerie with a hockey stick.

Professor Kekkai, Unarmed Combat

Anonymous:
I'm Professor Kekkai, resident school disciplinarian and teacher of Unarmed Combat. I am trained in several different fighting styles--both unarmed and armed, though from my title I assume you can guess which I prefer--and I will teach you the basics in unarmed, physical self-defense. And for those of you who wish to advance beyond the basics, the abilities of ki that will augment your physical abilities.
While I have no problems with magic, it's not the answer to all problems involving violence. More often than not, magic will fail where physical might won't. That being said, I am in full agreement with Professor Rosseau about preferring my lessons to not have to be put into use.

Professor Lapis, Healing

Anonymous:
Welcome to my class, dear students. I am Professor Iilrea Lapis, instructor of Healing and head of House Briarbloom. While my class is a core requirement, meant to teach all of you the basics of magical first-aid, I tend to go beyond just the basics and strive to give a full knowledge of how to heal most wounds and cure many common illnesses--yes, spells and potions to help ease the flu are part of my course curriculum. As is basic triage, combat medicine--which you will hopefully be able to put out of your minds upon graduating--and the medicinal properties of many magical plants.
Yes, there is quite a lot of overlap between my classes and Professor Iris's.

Professor Lyceriata, Necromancy and Demonology

Anonymous:
Ahhh, hello there dear students! I am Professor Marius Lyceriata, head of House Owlwood, and I welcome you to my classroom!
I teach Necromancy and Demonology at this fine school, and I have absolutely no shame in admitting that I'm rather...fascinated by both. You see, the skills required to reanimate the dead and call spirits from the great beyond are quite, how shall I say it...tricky to master. It's very easy for it to go awry, and believe me when I say that you do not want spells of necromancy to rebound upon you, my children. The results would be very, ahh...catastrophic indeed.
As for demonology, well...summoning demons can be similarly taxing. Oh yes, I am well aware that there are demons teaching at this school, but they came here of their own will. No, summoning demons to do your bidding is very advanced magic, and requires absolute focus, lest you end up the one being controlled. Or worse....

Professor Raine, Music and Spellweaving

Anonymous:
Welcome to my class, students. I am Professor Sylvia Raine, and I'm head of the music department and your instructor on Spellweaving.
What is Spellweaving? Admittedly, it's a bit of a trick. The art of Spellweaving is taking a spell you already know, and 'weaving' it with another to create something new, a hybrid spell as it were. Those who are particularly talented in this craft--such as myself--can even weave entirely new spells, no need to merge two that you already know.
As difficult as many find this skill, it can be quite useful in many situations. From solving a household problem, to knocking past enemies on the battlefield. Either way, I do hope that at least some of you will find my classes interesting enough to continue past the first year.

Professor Rilaz, Alteration

Anonymous:
Good afternoon. I am Professor Antonio Rilaz, Profesor of Alteration Studies and Deputy Headmaster of Noctem de Magia Academy.
For the inevitable questions, yes; Alteration does include th practice of Transfiguration, or changing one object or animal into another. But that is simply one aspect of the larger school of Alteration.
Alteration allows you not simply turn a thing into something else, however. It includes spells such as Waterbreathing, Stoneflesh, and--the mage's staple--Magelight. Naturally, I'll start you off with the basics; Magelight and Detect Life being two of the first.
Oh, and as for why I don't teach the transmutation spells (yes, I am aware that they are within the Alteraton school), it has less to do with difficulty (although they are rather difficult), and more to do with illegality.

Professor Silph, Battlemancy

Anonymous:
Careful, there! Just because the blades aren't sharpened doesn't mean they can't still do damage, and with those weapons don't need sharpened blades to maim. See the runes?
In any case, I'm Professor Silph, your instructor in Battlemancy--or, the art of mixing the arcane and martial arts. As such, many of my classes overlap with Deukhalion's--and indeed, you'll find yourselves in more than a few double classes with the both of us.
My class sizes tend to be on the small size, as becoming a battlemage isn't a path meant for everyone. But for those of you willing to take the crazy route...well, buckle up.

Professor Tourmaline, Charms

Anonymous:
Hullo there~ I'm Professor Gem Tourmaline, and I'm your charms teacher. Illusions, levitation, summmoning and banishment charms and the like. Despite what Rilaz or Erika might tell you, Charms are quite possibly the most important spells in any magician's arsenal. Yes, yes, magelights are more than a little bit helpful and it doesn't hurt to be able to knock back an attacker if you're mugged. But when it comes for sheer everyday usefulness, few schools are more use than Charms.
Of course, there are a few that are geared more towards fighting than around-the-house. The abilities to charm someone temporarily, for example...but for those, you'd have to go to another school, sorry.

Professor Valadia, Runes & Linguistics

Anonymous:
Good morning, my dear students. I am Professor Eryn Valadia, your teacher of Runes and Linguistics. Rune Magic is a...tricky class of magic, one that relies as much upon the words of the spell as much as how you place them in your spell. Runes are both an alphabet used for mundane writing, as well as scribing spells, so learning how to use them in a magical sense can be...difficult.
Here I will teach you how to read these runes, imbue them with magic, and how to read, speak, and write the ancient languages these spells come from.

Professor Westfield, Core Studies

Anonymous:
Huh? Oh, ahm, hello there. I'm Zane Westfield, Head of House Underwild and Profesor of Core Studies...which is exactly how it sounds. I don't teach any advanced magics or swordplay, no looking into the future or past. What I teach are the basics; math, science, english, history, writing...the core classes you'll need outside of your chosen magical studies. Because even mages need to know how gravity works, what happens when you drop potassium into water (yes, it does explode and no, do not do it in this or Dara's classroom), and how to use proper grammar.
And no, my class is not an elective.

Professor Xavier, Artifice

Anonymous:
Come on in, sit down...and leave the window open, it's hot as hell in here and smells like a furnace. Comfortable? Good. Welcome to Artifice and Crafting, taught by me; Professor Sidonius Xavier, Archmage of Enchantment and master artificer. And yes, I really am a vampire. And no, garlic is not a good vampire-deterrent...unless it's rotten. Then it'll keep everyone away.
Anyway, artifice. What is it? At it's basics, artifice is the crafting of items and imbuing those items with enchantments and spells to give them abilities beyond the normal. Whether it's a sword that trails flame, armor with enhanced durability, or simply a smartphone battery than can go more than a couple hours on a charge.
What makes these different than normal objects, with an enchantment cast on them? The stage at which the magic is cast in the first place. You see, in a regular enchanted item, the enchantment is cast over it--be it a sword, a suit of armor, or a hat--after it has been made. Typically, these enchantments tend to be temporary, and need to be routinely recharged or re-cast.
A proper artificer, however, works those enchantments into their creation. For a sword or armor, it's forged into the metal as part of the alloy. For an item of clothing, it's woven into the fabric itself. For something like a phone...you get the picture. The magic is bound into the item at a fundamental level, far more intrinsically than an ordinary enchantment. Becoming an artificer takes as much skill with the crafting and building of objects as it does skills with spells.

Professor Yorora, Divination

Anonymous:
Welcome, young students, to my class. I am Professor Hadzia Yorora, and I teach Divination--or 'That Stupid Fortune-Telling Nonsense' as Lyceriata calls it--here at Noctem de Magia Academy. Here, you will not learn how to weave spells or brew potions or summon the dead...instead, you will look to the future to see what may be, and into the past to aid you in your journeys in the here and now.
I admit, my school of magic is...misunderstood. To look to the future is not to see what will come to pass, but rather one of the many possible routes a given path could take. Seeing the death of someone in the crystal ball does not mean it is guaranteed to happen, only that one day it might...and to be aware of one of many potential ends. And, regretfully, many of you here will lack the ability...but of course, the only way to find if you carry the spark of a diviner in you is to try. Divination is one of those skills that can't really be learned, you must already have it in you before you even open a book.
But if you do have the ability to See in your soul, together we will find it and cultivate it...so as not to end up as a madperson.

Professor Zaladiel, Mythology

Anonymous:
Good morning students. My name is Professor Zaladiel, and I teach Mythology at Noctem de Magia. Here you'll learn about ancient civilizations and the great events and magics that formed them, and led to where we stand today...and why they fell. With luck, you'll learn from those mistakes. Whether our politicians will, on the other hand...that remains to be seen.
In any case, I expect you all to pay attention in my class. If you slack off and sleep, I will not hold the rest of the class back just so you can sleep the day away. If you don't do the work, I will fail you. End of story.

Dr. Iceheart, School Doctor

Anonymous:
Oh dear gods, what now--oh, you're not hurt. Thank the gods...there's been a bout of faerie pox going around lately, and between that and Silph managing to set himself on fire for the third time this month...I've been a bit busy.
In any case, my name's Doctor Lasinda Iceheart. I'm the doctor in charge of the school's infirmary, which means I get to handle the illnesses and injuries that come through here on a daily basis...both of the students and the teachers. Both of which can get more than a little bit...interesting.

Cast, School Librarian
[/color]
Anonymous:
Aiiieeee!! Put that book down! It's fragile! And ancient! And fragile! And way, way, way older than you! And probably me!
*ahem* Ahh, just...give me the book. I'll reshelf it...it belongs in the restricted section anyway. Anyways, you may call me Cast. I'm the librarian here at Noctem de Magia, and I've been here almost as long as our Headmistress has. Please follow the rules that've been posted at the door, break them and I kick you out. Keep breaking them, and you get banned. And when you check out a book, please return it on time and undamaged...or else.
Oh, and be careful not to get on Deukhalion's bad side. He has a tendency to eat students who don't pay attention in class...

(Please forgive the Roliana avatar icons. The first incarnation of this hangout was on there, and I haven't had the heart to re-create them with Voltra avatars yet. I might at a later date, maybe)]

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:30:14 )
*~*School Tour*~*

~*Classrooms*~
WIP

~*Common Areas*~
There's several common areas at Noctem de Magia where students can mingle, apart from hallways and classrooms. Here is a summary of what they are and where to find them.

Great Hall
The beating heart of the school, our Great Hall is the main school cafeteria. It's where the students and teachers eat, meet, and generally start our day. Here's where everyone comes for their meals, and it's divided into six sections; one for each Dorm (Dragonscale, Underwild, Feyspark, Briarbloom, and Owlwood), and a staff area for the faculty and other school employees. And while the Houses are divided by section in the Great Hall, there is no rule against students from different Houses mingling together.
Of course, the Great Hall is used for more than a giant, fancy cafeteria. It's also where we host our holiday feasts--The Harvest Feast, Halloween, Yule, Mardi Gras and Ostara--as well as yearly balls, such as our annual Halloween Masquerade, Yule Ball, and Mardi Gras party.

Library
Noctem de Magia's library is at a level of many universities, and is run by our very own Mister Cast. Cast, for whatever reason, almost never leaves the library...and has a penchant for showing up at random times, either when a student is doing something they know is against the rules (such as smoking Gemleaf out a window), or--less often, admittedly--when they're lost and need help looking for a material.
Apart from our dear librarian Cast, NDMA's library is filled with--unsurprisingly--books. From reference tomes for all manner of subjects taught at our school (and some that aren't), to the latest science fiction and fantasy novels, there are well over 2,000 books in our collection--and it's always growing. We have no idea where Cast finds the books he does, but he's always adding new ones to our school's library.
In addition to books, students can also find music CDs, vinyl records, audiobooks, movies on DVD and videocassette, video games, as well as a computer lab that are available for public use for those who either don't have a computer to do their homework on, or if a teacher is holding a class in there.
Just, one word of warning; Cast is very protective of the library. He has been known to, ahh, hang students from very high places if he catches them breaking the rules.

Rec Rooms
You can think of our rec rooms as...gaming centers. One part video game center, one part library (there's usually at least one stocked bookshelf in each one, but they're not allowed outside of the rec room--and Cast rotates the books on the shelf regularly), one part Internet cafe, one part hangout spot....you get the idea. The rec rooms are for, well, recreation!
There is, generally, at least one rec room per two floors--which means, half as many rec rooms as floors at NdMA. All of them have at least one TV set up with several consoles--XboX, Wii, PlayStation, and a couple even have an old GameCube and Atari systems--and video games to play on them, which Cast ensures are rotated on a regular basis. Movies can also be watched on the TVs, as they each have their own DVD/VCR setup--and yes, there is cable (thouth withe the Internet, why even bother?). There's also tables set up for tabletop games--from board games to strategy games such as chess and Risk, to full-on D&D and Pathfinder maps to pull out--for those who don't need controllers, and even just squishy beanbags and armchairs and couches just for sitting and hanging out, or curling up with a book. Radios and record players are also set up, for playing music or listening to things like NPR.
In other words, the perfect rooms to come and hang out. And because they're a public space and are generally more than a bit popular, the bulletin boards are ideal for advertising events and clubs--such as the monthly D&D session one of our seniors runs, as well as the annual school-wide Duel Monsters tournament. Yes, that is indeed a thing. Blame Xavier for it.

Courtyard
WIP

~*Other Areas*~
Aside from our common areas, dorms, and classrooms, there's some areas that don't fall into any of the above categories. Some are perfectly safe, and others...are best left alone.

West Wing Dungeon
WIP

Sports Fields
WIP

The Woods
WIP

East Tower
WIP

Kitchens
WIP

Alchemy Labs
WIP

Lyceriata's Private Library
WIP

~*Dormitories*~
There are five dormitories at Noctem de Magia, each focused on different traits and strengths...and weaknesses. Your dorm, or House, can be thought of as your family at school, as they are the people whom you will spend the most time around. Of course, there's nothing against inter-dorm friendships, but you can expect to be spending much of your time around your dormmates.

Underwild
-Crafty, pragmatic, calculating, charismatic-
Indigo and Gold

House Underwild is for those with ambition in their hearts, and craftiness in their nature. The defining characteristic--the signature, if you will--of those who are placed into Underwild is their will to succeed at all costs, something which has earned the house a bad reputation in the past.
The Underwild dormitory is located underneath the school lake, and as such doesn't have any windows to the outside--but there is a skylight in the ceiling, which allows the students an excellent view of the wildlife of the lake through it. The fireplace is set into the northwest corner of the common room, diagonally from the entrance, and the center of the stone floor is covered by a rug that depicts the House symbol, a raven outlined in gold and holding a sword in its claws, on a deep indigo field. The walls are hung with several embroidered tapestries as well, to make up for the, ah...lack of windows, many of which are done in the house colors of indigo and gold.
There are armchairs, beanbags, and tables scattered around the room, including a bookshelf along the western wall--floor-to-cieling, of course. In the center of the room is a coffee table, and at least one sofa for lounging nearest the hearth. Oh, and don't forget the TV--just, try not to get into any fistfights over what's being watched on it ^^;.
Coming off the northeastern corner is a hall, which leads to Underwild's three dorms: Boys, Girls, and Neutral. Up and to the right are the boys' dormitories, up and to the left are the girls, and up and just ahead are the neutral. As for who goes in which dorm, it's fairly straightforward; boys go to the boys' side, girls to the girls' side. The neutral dorm, however, is a rather new addition to Noctem de Magia, and is set up for those students who identify as nonbinary.

Feyspark
-Empathetic, shy, quiet, creative-

Lavender and Navy

The defining characteristics of those who are sorted into Feyspark are their empathy and shyness. Those in Feyspark may not always be the most talkative in class, but they're also normally some of the most understanding of others, most especially their friends.
House Feyspark is located next to the school's arboretum, on the first floor. The common room is hexagonal, two of the six walls being made up of windows for a view of the grounds and maximum sunlight. The floor has several rugs along it, with a mural of the house's symbol--an antlered rabbit--done in the house colors of lavender and navy blue. The wall adjacent to the entrance has the fireplace, with the TV hung above. On the opposite wall, there's a floor-to-ceiling bookshelf stacked with general-use books, video games, movies, and music people can play.
Like Underwild, Feyspark has three dorms: Boys, Girls, and Neutral. Boys are located down and to the right, girls down and to the left, and neutral directly downstairs. Like before, the names are self-explanatory; girls go to the girls' dormitories, boys to the boys', and neutral is for those who don't identify as the typical binary genders.

Dragonscale
-Hotheaded, risk-takers, confident, reckless-

Crimson and Silver

The tendencies towards confidence bordering (and often bleeding into) recklessness has earned House Dragonscale a reputation as being the most hot-headed and rash. While this reputation may not be...entirely undeserved, it's not 100% accurate either. Yes, risk-taking and not looking before one leaps are common attributes of those sorted into Dragonscale, but so are confidence, bravery, and being stalwart in the face of danger. These, more than the recklessness, are at the heart of what House Dragonscale represents.
Dragonscale is located in the second-tallest tower in the castle (the tallest being the astronomy tower), earning the dorm the nickname of The Eyrie, as it's the House located at the highest elevation of all five. Upon entering you're meeted with a merrily crackling fire on one end of the room, a TV and gaming setup on the other side of the room, and a mural of the symbol of the house, a crimson dragon holding a silver scepter, done in silver and crimson stone on the floor. The walls are decorated with alternating bookshelves and tapestries done in the House colors of crimson and silver. Cushy, comfy chairs are scattered around the room, with a central coffee table in front of the hearth and several smaller tables with various games (most of which in progress) set up on top.
As with the other dorms, Dragonscale has three sets of sleeping quarters, all divided by year. Up and to the right are the girls' dormitory, up and to the left are the boys', and straight ahead and up a spiral staircase are the neutral dorms. The neutral dorm of Dragonscale, like that of Underwild and Feyspark, is a new addition, meant for those students who identify as nonbinary or other.

Owlwood
-Intelligent, logical, cautious, overthinking-

Ivory and Copper

The House of logical thinkers, quick wit, and wisdom is that of Owlwood. Fittingly, its symbol is that of an owl reading a spellbook. If you are sorted into Owlwood, you are likely--on some level--someone who prefers to think before speaking and acting, and to be prepared for any possible situation. Sometimes this tendency to run through possible scenarios in one's head before acting on them leads to overthinking, and we all know how that can end up.
But at their core, the students of Owlwood are studious and smart, bright and intelligent. More often than not, they're among the highest-grading students in the school--though rarely are they the only ones with good grades.
Like Feyspark, Owlwood tends to have a lot of quiet students. But while Feyspark may be on the quiet side from shyness, Owlwood may not participate in the conversation simply because they don't feel as if they have anything to add, rather than not paying attention.
Owlwood is located nearest the Great Hall, which is why Owlwood's section is usually the firs to fill up at breakfast as the students have the shortest walk. It also has the most sprawl, despite having roughly the same population as the rest of the dorms. Its circular common room is located mostly underground, with a line of windows high up on the walls all around the perimeter. The hearth is located directly opposite the entrance, with a banner above sporting the dorm's symbol in copper on an ivory tapestry. Bookshelves and blue-flamed sconces line the walls, complete with a TV that's hooked up to cable, a DVD/VCR player, and a couple different gaming consoles.
As with the others, there are three dorms; down and to the left are the boys, down and to the right are the girls, and down and straight ahead are the nonbinary dorm.

Briarbloom
-Loyal, determined, stubborn, kind-

Emerald and Cream

Underwild is ambitious and crafty; Feyspark is imaginative and shy; Dragonscale is brave and hotheaded; and Owlwood is intelligent and logical. What is Briarbloom, then? Kindness, loyalty, determination...these are the things characteristic of Briarblooms. The smallest of the dorms, both in size and population, is often considered by the others as the least important; in fact, a lot of students make jokes at Briarbloom's expense. But kindness and loyalty, determination and stubbornnes, are no less important than ambition, intelligence, bravery, or creativity. The students of Briarbloom consider everyone in the school a friend, no matter their dorm, and they'll go out of their way if another is having a bad day. Doubly so for friends. This manifests most often as a shoulder to cry on, or a friend coming around with video games and ice cream. But more often than not, that loyalty to dorm, friends, and fellow students has manifested as a formidable strength when fighting is needed.
Those of Briarbloom are sociable and kind and loyal, and hard to anger. But once that anger is stirred up, you'll be facing a rage potentially even stronger than that you'll find in Dragonscale.
Briarbloom is located in the West tower, unlike the rest of the dorms, doesn't have a crackling hearth; instead they have a firepit set into the center of the dorm floor, contained with a magical forcefield. Cushions and chairs and a couch encircle it and the rest of the common room, a DVD and game spinner in one corner of the room and a TV hanging on the north wall. The east wall is taken up by floor-to-cieling bookshelves, laden with general-use books and board games--and, of course, the Dorm Dice Pail. There's been a running D&D campaign for several years now, constantly being inherited and "restarted" by students graduating and entering school. Upon the cieling is an intricate stained-glass skylight, done in the dorm colors of emerald green and gold and depicting the dorm symbol of a blooming thorny rose wrapping around a mage's staff and sword.
On the wall opposite the bookshelves is a door leading to three spiral staircases; one goes up and to the left, the boys' dorm. Up and to the right are the girl's. And up and straight ahead are the neutral dorms for nonbinary students. All of which are further divided up by year.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:31:23 )
*~*Bulletin Board*~*

We have a Discord!
Link here!

This is where announcements, links to event threads, and links to affilated threads will go. Also white & black lists.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:33:07 )
*~*Students*~*

If you've decided to fill out a student card for fun, this is where it'll be listed. By Dormitory, of course ^^.

For those of you who decide to fill out a student card, here it is:
[b]Username:[/b]
[b]Day or Night Class:[/b]
[b]Dormitory:[/b]
[b]Classes:[/b]

Underwild
(empty)

Feyspark
Little Crane
Phantasma

Dragonscale
(empty)

Owlwood
(empty)

Briarbloom
(empty)

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:33:28 )
RESERVED 1

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:33:37 )
RESERVED 2

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 09:35:12 )
And we are open! Forgive the dust and awkward colors/coding/font, as well as missing area descriptions, I'm still putting the final, polished touches on the place ^^. But otherwise, we're open for business!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/15 12:54:11 )

I do not believe some of the teachers would be possible to recreate on here just yet, if you intend to be faithful to their designs.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/16 09:38:47 )
Yeah, that's why it's low on the list of things to do ^^;. And I know I'd need quite a few more items in my invo, seeing as there's no dream avatar creator here.

Doesn't mean I can't still have the hangout though ^^

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/16 12:50:19 )

It would be immensely useful, even if it is some time off from being created and implemented.
Is there a quiz or some such for the dorms? Tis hard to decide which one I would fit better in, Feyspark or Owlwood.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/17 07:51:58 )
Yeah, the time's why I'm not worried about the "if/when" with a dream avatar creator ^^. Till then, I'm still attached to the Roli avatars I created for them X'D

As for the dorms, I don't have a quiz for them just yet ^^;. So the dorm-picking is left mainly up to the people who decide to join the hangout

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/18 10:01:47 )

I see.
I believe I will go with Feyspark.
What do you mean by day/night class?

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/19 03:00:12 )
Day class has their school day during the daylight, and night class's is at night ^^. Pretty straightforward, ehe...

Anyway, I'll put you on the Feyspark list ^^

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/19 06:44:33 )

A shame there is no flex class option, for those who shift between day and night, but I suppose that would be confusing.
Now for classes, is there a minimum and a maximum? History of Magic, Potions and Alchemy, Herbology, Magical Defense, Healing, Alteration, Charms, Divination, and Mythology all have my interest. Common Core, I know, is mandatory, so I did not list it.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/19 08:40:29 )
Naw, not really X'D.
Most of the RP events are going to happen around events, though there is a discord server with some RP channels set up ^^

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/19 12:18:38 )

I see. I suppose if I role played, my character would be on the busier side, as this is a fair few classes.

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 08:48:52 )
Q t e a p o n:
Oh are you coming from Roliana?

Just saw this post! And yep, I am ^^. I'm SolarMoon on there, and I'm literally 'porting my hangout onto here (avatar icons and all x'D) because I don't want it to go!

Nor am I content to give up a little slice of Roli entirely~

Little Crane:

I see. I suppose if I role played, my character would be on the busier side, as this is a fair few classes.

Welp...all the better to get to know the teachers? ^^;
Noctem de Magia Academy
///
Voltra's Space Station
///
The Warlock's Frozen Attic--It's cold out there!
\\\
Space Solstice Shenanigans!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/04/22 11:45:43 )

Indeed. Some of the classes are not considered advanced, so I would imagine that after so many years, certain classes would no longer be necessary to be taken and free up space for others. So potentially a lot, but spread over the years be manageable.

Item QuestHangoutSales

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.