Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Shakin' my head...

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/4 22:12:26 )
So, I was working the breakfast shift yesterday (I'm a restaurant server), and at about 8 AM we have this table of 4 come in; two women, a man, and a toddler. We were still pretty slow / awaiting the church crowd, so I was just meandering around the dining room, wiping and filling things, and I overhear the other server (Red) taking the order for that table.

And I swear they all changed / added at least one thing. She was over there for 5 minutes taking this breakfast order, and had to spend another minute or so after that looking up prices for some of their more unusual requests--having worked there for 6 years or so, she's not one to need to price check very often (we have hand-written tickets so everything needs to be priced out before it hits the kitchen). Not really a big deal, we were slow, so whatever, but every server rolls their eyes at those tables.

But here's the kicker. I'm filling up the ketchup bottles when I overhear the toddler starting to whine/half-sob about being hungry. Adults mention something about "being up since six", but pretty much ignore him for a couple minutes. Red offered to bring over some crackers once she got their order in, but of course the kid couldn't wait that long. One of the women says, "you need to wait quietly" to the kid, which of course doesn't work. So what does she do?

She gets up, walks to the front desk, and gets him "another lollipop". Another one. At 8 in the freaking morning.

They ended up staying for a while, probably an hour and a half, and of course left a ridiculous mess. On top of it all I'm pretty sure they were lousy tippers. The rest of the day was one of those where everything seemed a little bit off.

But, seriously, don't wait two hours to feed your toddler in the morning.

Donator — - Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/5 00:31:04 )
@Vii: Ugh. I feed my toddlers within 30 minutes of them waking up. I tend to get very sick, even to the point of needing to run to the toilet to vomit if I don't have something to eat in that time frame, so I have always made sure to feed my kids right when they get up to avoid such an occurrence.
Also, I feel like she shouldn't be giving a toddler candy in the morning but that's just me. My kids are very hyperactive, so I'm careful about giving them high sugary items.

I feel like Red should have been tipped handsomely for such an order. Jeez. I have respect for people who have to deal with the public all day. I could barely deal with students and their parents.

Donator — A.I. Posted 7 years ago ( 2017/09/5 02:41:07 )
@Shamrock Shamus: I know, right? I get that way when I get hungry, too. And kids have lightning fast metabolisms. That's a growing little meat sack right there, and he needs to eat! Honestly it was them giving him the candy that had us all rolling our eyes, as I'm pretty sure she had already given him one when they first walked in. (And of course he didn't finish his breakfast lol). In the end we all get tables like that but thankfully, there are always the polar opposites that make up for it--the really easy, gracious folk who are patient and tip really well off simple orders. I was tipped $40 by a man in the bar who just had some drinks, because I asked my boss if he could bring his dog into the bar (it was late, we were near closing, it was a cute lil doggo).

And honestly, it's the parents that shy me away from wanting to be a teacher. I could handle the kids (I'd probably aim for HS) being assholes, thinking they're smarter than me, pulling stunts, etc. etc but I couldn't handle getting chewed out by idiot parents on the weekly for doing my job. c':
[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.