Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Left my job.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 01:23:17 )

I've talked about it here before, but tl;dr: My health has been going downhill lately due to stress and other factors exacerbating symptoms of chronic conditions and also adding new ones, to the point that I was no longer able to keep up with the physically and mentally taxing nature of my work.

So after much deliberation, I put in my two weeks' notice. Yesterday was my last day. I'm glad to finally be done with that place, but it was also kind of sad, because I actually liked most of my coworkers, despite not being what I'd call real friends with any of them. I brought in some cupcakes I had made, and several of my coworkers signed a card for me and even threw in a little money, and told me to make sure to come back and visit. Met my replacement, he seemed nice but we didn't do much talking or working together.

I have an interview with a different grocery store for a floral department position on Tuesday. A couple of people at work warned me against working there, but since most of their complaints were about snooty customers and low pay (inexplicably, this place is much fancier than my store but pays their employees a lot less), they weren't things that were at the top of my list of concerns right now. I don't plan on staying there forever or trying to move up within the company. I just want something to hold me over while I get on my feet and get my health and living situation under control. I think, as long as my managers are reasonable and my hours aren't too unpredictable, this would be a less stressful workplace. It's a quieter store, a nicer area, and most importantly, a less physically demanding job that would let me work with plants.

Even if this job doesn't let me exercise much creativity, it's still a foot in the door for a pathway I'd be OK with pursuing. If I got this job, I'd be able to move on to other floral-related positions elsewhere and hopefully get into floral design that way. I wouldn't say it was ever my dream career, but at least it's something I can do and probably not hate. Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll be able to move up to working in an actual florist's shop or nursery somewhere. Eh.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 01:28:53 )
I have to say... that sounds like my kinda job XD
Well, I hope you get the job and enjoy it. Plant nurseries can be pretty physically demanding though?

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 02:00:56 )

@Ixora: Depends on the position and the nature of the place itself. Regardless, though, I have no idea what I will or won't be able to do in the future. There's no way to predict my health or living situation this early on.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 05:14:40 )

@Uncledaddy: I hope that it all works out for you.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Any Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 05:25:04 )
》::: ✿・`.*
@Uncledaddy: Good luck hun. Leaving a shitty job thats degrading your health is a step in the right direction, Ive done it before. I hope things start looking better for you, and that you can find something you enjoy
I recently got a new job due to my last not taking my mental health seriously, and it feels a lot nicer to be in an environment where my managers understand and are willing to work with me.
*.`・✿ ::: 《
Please ping me!

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/11 23:26:36 )

@Bioshock: thanks, i hope so too.

@Totalanimefan: I guess we'll find out! I'm still looking around in case this doesn't work out for whatever reason, or if the job ends up being too similar to my last one and I have to bail. It's hard to find reviews for this specific position, and reviews of the company tend to vary a lot based on who the manager is and whatnot, so it's hard to tell until actually there, I guess.

@milkdaddy: I'm glad you wound up in a better environment. I got tired of my illness not being taken seriously at work, too, though they seemed more understanding toward the end when they realized it was bad enough to make me quit... go figure huh.

@SirLionelNigelConrad: aye ty, actually deciding to move on is possibly the hardest part for me.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/26 04:38:16 )
Hope you landed the job! Honestly, one of the best feelings in the world is quitting an exhausting, taxing, or toxic work environment. It's such a wonderful relief, knowing you don't have to go back to such a situation and suffer any longer.

Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/03/26 09:31:47 )

I actually ended up not going to the interview. It was an open interview, which they apparently did one every week and didn't even ask for my name when I called to tell them I couldn't make it, so it's not as big of a deal as just not showing up to a scheduled one-on-one. The store's reputation is not as good as I thought, and when I went to scope out the location of this one, I wasn't impressed. It's nowhere near as nice as the ones that are closer to me. I was still gonna go, but the timing wasn't working out. I just came off from a second-shift job, so being up early enough to make it to the interview was proving extremely difficult, on top of all the other things I had to do. A lot of stuff was neglected while I was at my previous job and now I have to focus on changing around my sleep schedule and getting all those things done. I did apply to another place, a different company that has a better reputation as an employer and a store that's closer to me in an area I'm more familiar with. I haven't heard back yet, though it hasn't been long. When I get caught up on the stuff I need to do, if they haven't given me a call yet, I'll apply to another one of their locations and start looking into other companies again. There are things out there, and I don't doubt I can find a different job; it's just a little hard to give all my attention to that for the moment, now that I finally have a chance to work on all the stuff I kept putting off due to my schedule, health issues, and other things going on.
What I needed really wasn't just a different working environment, but time off all together. It'd be better if I could actually be alone during this time and have some much-needed peace and quiet, but I guess I'll take what I can get and just be grateful I'm not pushing carts all day for now...
I've at least managed to bump my sleep schedule up by a few hours, and I will continue to work on it. I've also been completely neglecting my health; since quitting, I have been able to put a little more effort and consideration into what I eat, next step is getting out and getting more exercise. Work had me too sore and exhausted to do any other exercise, but now that I've been away from it for a couple of weeks and my pains have eased up for the most part, it's time to quit sitting around on my ass again. :^P

AKA Count Trashula

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.