Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/27 04:40:31 )
Lol, this is super random I know and sorry if this is the wrong place, but does anybody have any experience with at home/personal laminators?

I'm looking into making convention badges and things and want to laminate them at home, but am needing some suggestions. I am tempted to just leap on the Amazon Basics one but if friends have experience with these things, I'm curious!

also hi :o do you have any other cool at home crafty things you wanna gush about too?!? I've been meaning to check out shrinky dinks too...

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/27 05:04:50 )
@addy: *swoops in*
Hello! I have loooots of experience with home laminators!

I have had both the amazon basics laminator and I think the scotch one? My current laminator is the amazon brand.
I have found that the pouches work just as well as the name brand ones.
For a badge, I think you would need to get the thicker laminating sheets just so that they would be sturdier. I have the normal thickness sheets for my classroom use and they have held up really well too, but they are bendy. I've used them for stations and classroom decorations.

My husband likes a laminator called the royal sovereign? He says it's the best laminator he's ever used.

The only issue that I've had with the amazon brand was really just a user error. I wasn't paying attention to the little green light that says it's ready because I just assumed that once it was heated, it was fine, but you have to let it reheat a little bit after a few sheets. The green light will go off and turn back on after a few seconds. If it isn't heated enough, it will crinkle up inside the laminator and ruin the project. I've also had a few issues with not putting the paper in exactly straight and it will crinkle on the side.

But, overall, the amazon basics laminator has worked really well for my classroom use and kids are pretty rough with stuff.

You can double paper up in the sheet, but make sure you don't cut the "seal" or it will peel apart. If it isn't paper doubled up, you can cut all over it without worrying about it coming apart.

Also, there is a such thing as matte laminating sheets and I'm totally investing in those for my decorations next year!

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/27 05:27:37 )
@mousy: ahhh this is amazing, thank you for the detailed breakdown!! You're the second to recommend the Amazon Basic one too haha. I remember using... sssomething at work and yeah, not heating it up enough was a disaster waiting to happen. Also feeding the sheets in wrong x__x

The Royal Sovereign ones really vary in price and quality it looks like, I saw one for $30 and they get up to like, commercial prices. ;o Pretty fancy!

I'll definitely keep this in mind and probably snag one in the next few weeks. I have some really goofy ideas in the near future ahaha

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/27 06:32:23 )
@addy: there's nothing better than sliding your scissors through fresh lamination. aaaaahhh..... XD
I love laminating things.

There is this M&M commercial that cracks me up because he laminated his resume and I just thought it was genius.

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 02:24:26 )
@mousy: THAT IS LEGITIMATELY AN AMAZING IDEA

I'm probz going to buy the Amazon Basics laminator later this week or next and give it a shot, though I gotta get through this current commission backlog before i pick up new stuff like this

TOO MANY PROJECTS

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 03:50:21 )

I’ve used a machine for that at work. It was really slow.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — They/Them Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 04:25:10 )
@bioshock: honestly it's super satisfying, i haven't laminated things in years but that might be half the reason i'm hype to get back on this train lol

@totalanimefan: it IS slow but it's strangely therapeutic when it comes out!?
pls ping me, ty!!

TURN OFF THE SUN // PULL THE STARS FROM THE SKY

quest | etc

Donator — Goddess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 05:44:40 )
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

I had to laminate things for a past job I had and whenever I turned that laminator on the room was filled with this thick burnt smell. My boss had said that's how it's supposed to be but I'm still skeptical.

.・。.・゜✫・.・✭・゜・。.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 06:15:36 )
@nemesis: aaaaaaahhh the smell of lamination in the morning.....

It's an acquired taste. XD

I think I like it because I associate it with accomplishing things. XD

Donator — Goddess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 06:34:38 )
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

@mousy:

The smell just reminds me of being told to laminate papers so kid's won't eat the instructions/papers again

spoiler alert they still tried

.・。.・゜✫・.・✭・゜・。.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 06:53:02 )
@nemesis: ah, well, yes... there is that.. XD
My accomplishments are usually "HAHA I don't have to make anymore copies of that for the rest of my life. USE DRY ERASE MARKERS MY LOVELIES. REUSABLE WORK 5EVER. "
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — Goddess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/28 07:09:36 )
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

@Mousy:
That's such a good idea
Why didn't they do that when I was in school

.・。.・゜✫・.・✭・゜・。.
come check out my shop

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.