Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — He/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 03:17:27 )
I normally get my groceries at Aldi, sometimes Walmart if I can't find what I need. I can't do all my shopping at Walmart due to the cost, but working there and getting employee discount on at least some things helps a little. Trying to eat healthy and organic when possible while also not making enough money to even pay rent is kinda difficult sometimes, yo.
But sometimes even Walmart doesn't carry what I'm looking for, so I have to venture outside my comfort zone and go to a fancy store. Like Harris Teeter. Today was such a day, and while it wasn't as overwhelming as that one time I went to Whole Foods in search of natural food dye (where I felt like a dirty possum waddling around among the rich people), it was still pretty amazing. They had a huge selection of vegan and organic stuff, spices, cooking and baking supplies, etc. I was extremely tempted and ended up buying a lot more than I came for in spite of myself. If I'd had more money, I could have come away with some very nice things, indeed.
Needless to say, Harris Teeter has been bumped even higher up on my list of places to seek employment in my ongoing struggle to escape the grip of Walmart. It's still retail, and it'd still probably be back-breaking grocery store work with minimal pay, but it's gotta be better than where I'm at now.

guys for real this store is SO CLEAN. Everything looks nice and organized, it's quiet, and despite not being a huge store (it's not much bigger than the store I work at), it's got so much in it and it's all easy to find. There only seemed to be, like, one employee in the whole place, though. Maybe because it was late and a Sunday, who knows...

Where do you shop? What kind of grocery stores are in your area? Am I the only one who thinks this place is fancy and feels like out-of-place garbage when I visit? Where can I get a better deal on goat milk??! (so far the Walmart up the road from me--not the one I work at--has the best price on it, but 4$ a quart is still kinda high).
AKA Count Trashula

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 05:09:30 )
@Uncledaddy: I liked your story. It's always nice to be able to go to a nice supermarket. I'm also not a fan of Walmart, but I do like Aldi and Trader Joes.
I've never been to a Harris Teeter before, but it sounds nice.
What about working at Harris Teeter just for one shift? Like a Thursday or Friday night. Almost all grocery stores need extra help.

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 07:08:57 )
You gotta @Mention me.

Combination of ordering stuff from amazon, getting certain things in bulk from Meijer's, and Dollar General for a few other things.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 12:09:33 )

We have 2 small stores that sell organic everything in my town, a bigger one a few miles away and, near my hospital in Amsterdam, is an even bigger one.

I don’t go there too often, because they have more and more organic and vegan things in the supermarket (like vegan cheese since last week) and they’re way too expensive with a lot of things.
But there are still things the supermarket here doesn’t have. They have organic and vegan candy that is so good, so I go there every now and then just for that.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 14:24:35 )

Tops. A local chain. We avoid walmart sue to overall lack of quality and general nastiness of the stores. Occasionally we do go elsewhere to buy foodstuffs, but those times are rare.

Item QuestHangoutSales

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 14:37:11 )

We used to go to the aldi a lot but now we can be found at the lidl a lot. Good yochurt that is cheap. They also have good cold cuts for not a lot. Meat we always buy at a butcher. And for vegetables we sometimes go to grocer.

Donator — Winchester Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 14:46:35 )

@vengeance: *yoghurt

As a kid, we went to Aldi once a week for the big grocery shoppings. I hated that, because it was always messy, everything was in boxes and a lot of things were always sold out.

Donator — Fluffywuff Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 15:00:20 )
Here, there are quite a few stores to find lifestyle diet foods like that. :3
But super huge $$$ if you want anything free-of-anything that isn’t on sale.
I have to pick my battles carefully, and usually deal with booboo tummy. x_x;

Oh my love, I know you are my candyman
And oh my love, let us fly to bounty land~~

Közi (“Kouji.”)
He/him

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/02/11 15:06:06 )

@Tuijp: We never had any problems with Aldi over at my city.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.