Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Some advice?

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 20:59:20 )

Hey Volties, how are you today?
If it's okay and you guys aren't busy and such, do you think we could discuss
proper pet care? I absolutely love Timberland, we are bonded and I wouldn't
trade her for the world! But, I confess I'm having some difficulty as a first time cat owner.

Any advice on how to identify meowing? She meows an awful lot and I'm never sure if she's
just being chatty or needs something. Her food obsession is kinda out of control too. It's cute
in some ways! But others it means me having to lock her into a separate room whenever Vanora and
I eat...I feel so guilty!!

Could you share your cat stories and pointers? It'd mean a whole lot, thanks.

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 21:41:49 )

Hi~
It's hard being a first time owner. There are a lot to know about cats, and everyone's cat is different. She should be fed cat food twice a day, in the morning and night. (I feed my cat once a day, but most cats need it twice a day). Pick a time in the morning and at night that works for you, but please make sure that it will always be the same time every day! Oh, and her water bowl should never go empty. Make sure that she has enough water.

Having a bond with your cat is important. Make sure that you play with your cat and that she has toys for herself. My cat LOVES my hair ties and scrunchies. They are cheaper than cat toys and probably saver. My cat also loves the laser pointer. I also recommend a cat tree that looks out a window. It will keep her very happy.

Sometimes cats just cry for attention, I know that mine does. It takes time to learn about what your cat means. If you can, try to make your cat an indoor cat only, they won't kill the win birds, and other animals that live outside. They won't get run over by cars either.

That's my advice for your new cat! Take care.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/16 21:55:59 )

Don't feel guilty about locking her in a room while you're eating. It may help with the meowing if you eat at the same time though. Just serve her food in another room and shut the door before going to your own dinner. That way she doesn't feel like she's missing out on something. She may even get used to it and not want your food too eventually.

Other tips...

If she wakes you up at 3am she may need to sleep in another room for a while too. She may eventually get used to sleeping in, she just needs a schedule reset.

If she gets up on counters and things she isn't supposed to you make sure you have surfaces that she CAN climb on. If she continues to jump on the counters too you can discourage her with a squirt bottle full of water. Be sure to praise her when she's being good too though!

Make sure you have lots of scratching posts available or your furniture will suffer. If you catch her scratching furniture, gently move her to the appropriate scratching post. Put some catnip on it too! The idea is to make the post more attractive than your couch. If she still has issues with this, there are little nail caps you can get that work like press on nails. They make the edges blunt so she can't damage anything with them.

Cat hair is your life now. There is no getting rid of it all. Just do your best.

Mallow Tumbleweed
My Sons

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.