Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums The Undercurrent Could I get a Art Critique?

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 00:47:54 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I made this album hidden but I think so long as you have the link you can see it? (Me drawing my voltra avatar)
https://imgur.com/a/oWdP6Tv

I tried getting photos in chunks of progress incase if you have feedback pertaining to a specific step that I did. I know it has issues (anatomy and center of gravity etc) but despite seeing them I am never sure how to fix them and often end up making it worse?/erasing the paper completely away haha

The only thing I (semi)regularly draw really...is birds...I love drawing feathers and wings. Both realism and cartoony...and even then sculpting and acrylic painting is more my jam. Hand paper/hand mouse is very very challenging for me. ->.0

any tips, tricks ans critiques to help me understand it better would be great!

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:01:55 )

@Millet: You're braver than I asking for critique. > >

Anywho, some points.
⇨ Lined paper is generally NOT a good choice. I know that's obvious, but I had to say it. > >
⇨ Construction lines. Seriously. Start with the basic shapes lightly sketched in - You can kinda see what I mean here. It would help with being able to get the pose balanced and anatomy at least semi accurate (or whatever you're aiming for) as well before you put in details.
⇨ Eyes can be a pain to match, so props for closing one. XD (I use that little cheat myself sometimes). But you should practice.
⇨ Hands are hell. Sooo not gonna touch that one. I'd probably just confuse you.
⇨ Her breasts are ... odd. Think of them as water balloons that are attached to the ribs, really. I'm not sure how else to say that, or what else to say. They just look odd to me. Yes I realise I could very well be very wrong
⇨ If you're aiming for more realistic, waists don't really come to a point/whatever quite like that. It's more an in, straight line for a short bit, then out for the hips. I know anime does it more the way you did, which is why I said if you're trying for more realistic.
⇨ I learned this the hard way - you're better off NOT starting with anime style. Seriously. Learn the rules, THEN break them. I know that sounds harsh, but it's what will honestly give you a better grasp on your art.

I can't think of anything else, and I sincerely apologize if any of that came off as harsh/mean. It wasn't my intention.
Those are just what stood out to me.

I do think it'd look a lot better as is, on plain paper though > >
has a thing against lined paper fro art, unless the lines are worked into it

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:10:33 )

None of it came off harsh!
I did use guide lines but they are very very faint so to easily erase I think the most noticeable spot is the upper hand sketch?

I woukdnt usually use line paper but its what I started doodling on when I decided to make a whole thing haha!
Stylistically I think I desire an inbetween realism and anime? But good tip that I should focus on realism first. Ive read that somewhere.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:14:51 )

AH that visually helps!

I do draw the guides but even my guides are...wonky HAHA

That simple draw over helped me realizd the depth of the elbow has to go BEHIND her not twisting to the side. And my arms are different lengths HAHA thanks @Q t e a p o n: the boss 8]

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:15:26 )

(Sorry for crazy typo texting on phone)

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:15:48 )

@Millet:
@Q t e a p o n:

A good rule of thumb for arms, your elbows reach your waist, and your fingertips are just past your hips. for most people

~<3

Also, Millet, yeah. Learning the rules is a good idea. Even if you plan on doing more cartoony anatomy - for instance if you decide you want more Monster High esque anatomy with the longer legs, start with learning the basics first. Chances are, it will make a HUGE difference.

Also I would reccommend checking Youtube for Speedpaints/drawing vids. They can help too - or at least they helped me.

And references. omg. Reference everything until you know it. And even then, reference.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:18:25 )

Any personal youtube suggestions, Amber? :o

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:24:33 )
my #1 tip for catching mistakes on your own:
HORIZONTAL FLIP 24/7
or hold it against a mirror.

coming back to it after a few days also works.

Qt's tip on doing a sketch first is also really good.
i know it's hard because u want to jump right into the details of the eyes or hair, but planning ahead with a stick figure would save u time in the long run

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 01:32:08 )

Not bad not bad! If I may...

Overall your proportions aren't bad. Everything is fairly symmetrical. There's a little wonkyness with how the arms attach and some discrepancy in length, but other than that it's pretty good. I do notice that the body just keeps getting bigger the lower it gets so remember to check how each section relates to the other parts.

Face isn't bad either. Really the only thing that bugs me is how the closed eye is super high. When eyelids close they close down so the line there should be at the same level as the bottom of the other eye. Ears are in a great spot and the golden triangle (the invisible triangle between the eyes and nose) is good proportion.

I like yo booty wings. (◔ᴥ◔ )

Here's some general tips from me:

Even though I'm SUPER GUILTY OF THIS I also find it hard to get my proportions right when I draw the whole head first. I know it's super tempting to draw the face first and draw the rest around it but unless it's a neck up portrait, I find my everything is better when I draw out the general shapes of the entire pose first before working into details. Like, my original sketches are the messiest pieces of garbage but those are only a starting place. (YAY for digital!)

I also agree with the advice here that references are your best friends. Even when you're doing a stylized/ cartoony drawing, it helps a heck of a lot to know what the actual body parts look like and then translating those into the style rather than the other way around. I will also say though that you don't have to spend hours and hours grueling away at super realistic portraits. Use real life references but draw the way you want to draw because honestly if something isn't fun why do it yeah? Whatever keeps you drawing, that's what you should do.

One practice tip an old instructor told me to help with basic anatomy is to trace over real photos just to get a feel for what it's supposed to look like. Now I'm not saying trace over them for an art piece because that's stealing. I'm saying trace over them as a study. Get used to what arms and legs do. Get used to how the mouth lines up with the rest of the face. Get used to how the nose looks in profile. Just... lots of different angles and poses. When it comes time to do the real thing you're gonna find it a lot easier.

Speaking of the real thing! It helps to have lots of different references when drawing because a better understanding of what the thing looks like in 3D will help you to draw it in 2D. All drawing is is learning how to erase the symbols our brain uses to interpret what things are and learning instead what they actually look like. Learning to draw is actually learning to see.

Also! If you intend to keep doing lines in digital I recommend either getting yourself a tablet (doesn't have to be an expensive one, there are some really decent ones out there now that are inexpensive and have good pressure sensitivity) or learning the pen tool. Will make crisp and clean and super fun. (◕ω◕✿)

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 02:35:59 )
@Millet: I mean, it looks pretty good!

If you're struggling with human bodies, I find it very helpful to have a reference to base the pose of off.
I usually stand in front of the mirror in between sketches or look for a pose online.
Doing it from the mind is seriously hard ; ___ ; Except for poses that you've drawn a number of times of course.
Looking at anatomy sketches and trying to draw them is a pretty good way of understanding how lines flow and stuff.

I don't draw faces so I gots no idea either ; ___ ;

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 02:39:56 )
OH I JUST REMEMBERED THIS.

If you don't want to use a mouse to line, you can use unlined paper (it might work with lined too but idk) and clean up the sketch pencil marks and extract the lineart using the program that you're using.
With Photoshop you can mess around with the levels then delete the white paper to achieve it.
I know MediBang has that feature where it extracts the lineart for you.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 02:44:25 )

@Millet: I know you didn't ask me, but I greatly recommend watching Sycra! He teaches a lot about anatomy and some shortcuts you can do to make drawing figures easier. If you want to dab on to some realistic painting, you can also go to Sinix Design and Istebrak.

Sinix teaches in a pretty fun and concise way, while Istebrak delves into the minute details of anatomy in a face.
                But all these teaching materials are nothing if you don't have an open mind. Make sure to listen carefully to what they're saying and try to draw alongside them.

As for tips, I think everyone has already said a lot of good stuff! The only thing I can add is about your lines. I'm not that great in linework either (it's the bane of my existence, honestly), but I've heard that it's great to do warm-ups first before starting your lineart. This way, your hands are relaxed and ready. Relax when you're inking your lines. If your hands are too stiff, you might end up with wonky lines. Relax!

art by 🥝

Ping me if you want a reply! I like getting pings

Donator — Frog bless Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 02:45:28 )

I agree about the warm ups. It absolutely helps.

Mallow Tumbleweed
                My Sons

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:13:51 )

(Will probably more thoroughly respond tomorrow. I have such a headache right now lol but THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!)

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:15:47 )
                @ixora: wow tell me about this medibang lineart extract thing
                how do??

Donator — Female Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:17:35 )

@Millet: draw with jazza has some art tutorials.
                I also really like watching drawingwiffwaffles. She shows the entire art process conception to finish. So she might be a really good option. And hers is also pretty much purely traditional too.
                My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
                ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
                If you do art, PM me

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:21:22 )
                @okios: if you import an image thingy if automatically asks if you wanna extract the lineart on mobile
                On desktop, its on Filter > Extracting Lines

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:22:38 )
                @ixora: thank u 4 my life 🙏

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 03:24:54 )
                @okios:

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/01/3 12:46:26 )

@Millet: Humans are the most complex creatures to draw, we have alot more moving parts than say a bird or turtle. Humans also can very easily tell when another human is even slightly "off" in proportions. So alot of artist get discouraged when their art doesnt look "right" when they draw people. A huge help is to break people down into simpler shapes. Even in their most simplified form people are still super complicated.

Here is an example:

References are a huge help until you learn enough anatomy to build your own human from scratch. I would suggest referencing nude models since clothes can mess with your perception of the form underneath.

Anime and cartoons are considered shorthand, thats why they look deceptively simple. But before you can do shorthand well you gotta learn your ABCs which are the fundamentals like form, shape, anatomy, perspective etc.

I hope this helps?

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
                Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
                Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.