Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk The Art life killed my passion for art

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 13:01:34 )
Understand that I’ve been to two art schools, I’ve done art pretty much all my life, I didn’t learn the basics till high school, and had a great support group including my teacher and family but even so I’ve lost all want and desire to be an artist of any kind. I can’t do it anymore. It doesn’t bring me the flame. Not even a flicker. The main source of this, I fear, is my competitiveness that consumes me to the point of mad insecurity. I’ve always been insecure. That’s always been a thing but it wasn’t a problem until depression hit me hard. Until I fell into a valley. I didn’t wanna draw anymore. I saw others how much better they were, my support group fell apart or just weren’t enough to provide the encouragement I needed. Here’s the thing though; whenever I do convince myself to draw and it’s for someone else theres something that happens. Something familiar. It so close I can taste it but it still out of reach. I wanna call it an artist high or even that flame— but I’m not entirely sure. Voltra—tell me your stories. Tell me how to be confident in my art. Give me tips. Give me the knowledge to find happiness in art again. Thank you~

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 13:38:29 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: well I have none left it feels.

Donator — Artist Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 13:58:51 )

Let me just say that I understand how you feel as I am going through something similar. On the rare occasion that I FEEL up to drawing, I am like a madwoman. I pop out like 4-5 arts one after another, then the drive leaves for another blue moon. xD I usually make something I'm real proud of during that time , and then I compare it to far superior artists and then that just kills my drive for awhile. I am not sure what to tell you in terms of tips, but just know you are not alone with feeling this way.
Ping me if needed

I do pixels. check my shop

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 14:05:15 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad:
I actually have been trying to do that—-since I can’t seem to love myself right now—-so it’s all connect huh?

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 14:05:54 )
@Rayon Declaire: thank you. For sharing that is. :) I’m sorry but I’m glad I’m not alone

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 14:13:41 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: thank you but I don’t know how...I don’t know how to know myself

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 14:18:20 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: i realize this. But I hate being the way I am now. It disappoints me and everyone else

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 14:50:24 )

@GuttedBunny: In terms of art, my best advice from experience is just finish artwork. With every finished piece you get the confidence that you can finish and its a stacking effect. Soon it becomes "yeah I have finished 10 artworks before in 2 days each, this is no problem" Sure a piece is gonna knock you down a few notches, when you can't seem to finish it and it just always looks terrible. But you gotta pick yourself up and do it again. If you are not confident about something like backgrounds (my personal enemy) just finish a few easy ones and suddenly its like "oh this is not so bad, I can do this" then it becomes "oh look I am getting pretty good, this is fun"
I think artists need alot of self discipline to stick with art and that part never gets easier unfortunately.. sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and keep drawing :) Nigel is right. We aren't always inspired. Most of the time we just do the best we can with what we've got.

Don't let amazing artists get you down. Don't look at them as competition, look at them as teachers. Dissect their work and try to figure out why its good. Once you discover their secrets THEN you can compete with them.

Donator — she/they Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 15:09:36 )
When I was young, I arted all the time because I was angsty and depressed and had nothing else going for me. As I grew up, I got happy and stopped getting inspired. I thought for sure I had to be miserable to art, but now I think its more a case of I didn't have time to actually practice the art anymore. I'd just expect emotionally fulfilling masterpieces instead of realizing I had to do a million hours of sketching, doodling, coloring, making sculptures, taking pictures, dressing up like a goofball, etc to re-kindle that passion. Immerse yourself in the thing you want to be passionate about, and if that doesn't work, pick new passions <3
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 15:50:13 )
I've only recently gotten back into art the past few months. I met someone who made me want to create again. I've always loved drawing growing up and through college. After that, I started falling away from it as I worked more and more. It's one of the reasons I joined Voltra. I enjoy drawing other's avatars since they provide a reference and they make someone else happy.

I have a lot of trouble sticking with a piece and actually finishing it (this applies to more than just art). I go through different crafts and art media, looking for the one that will ignite my passion, but I'm coming to grips more and more that I need more patience and dedication to my work. And a bunch of practice. Inspiration is a weak spot of mine so that's why I look to others for requests.

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 16:00:55 )

@SirLionelNigelConrad: I’ll sure give it a shot.
I’ll try anything
Thank you.

@Saeyra: thank you for your advice. I need to stick with my works. I don’t normally finish because I’m afraid that it’s gonna suck.

@Glume: i feel that. I feel as if I need to be a certain way to be the artist I always wanted to be.

@Selikait: thank you. Artists like you inspire artists like me.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 16:22:10 )

@GuttedBunny: Just kick it over the finish line, you can do it I am cheering for you! If you can honestly tell yourself you did your best and you can't do better then that's finished :) every piece will stretch your best further and further. Honestly I am almost never happy with the finished outcome but I had to learn to let it go and move on. I accepted that its just my level of art and I will improve very slowly. It takes years for me to see any improvement in my work but its there

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 16:42:32 )
@Saeyra: thank you so much!

Donator — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 17:08:31 )
@GuttedBunny: Thank you. I went through your gallery thread before. I love the progression through your work. I'm still looking for an older sketchbook of mine to see my progression. It makes me want to practice more and long for the peace I get while drawing.
Feel free to ping me. I'm forgetful.
Temp Free Avatar Art
Trading and Selling Items

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 17:10:05 )
@Selikait: awww thanks! and I can’t wait to see it :)

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 19:22:16 )

@GuttedBunny: You are very welcome. I don't know if this is the right way but this is my way and I hope it helps you

Always ping me please.

Donator — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 19:40:15 )
I feel this. :( After drawing a piece of art every day for a whole month this year, I just can't do it anymore. I realized that it made me incredibly depressed. My confidence fell to an all time low and I don't know why, and I don't know how to get it back.

Ping me!

Hangout

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 20:12:16 )
@Shark: well....you're not alone in this hun ^^

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/7 22:06:19 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Sometimes a good healthy clean break is what's needed, no? If anyone starts feeling resentment for their passion, ya just have
to put it to rest for a bit. Distract yourself with something else- anything else. Eventually that desire to create again will come back
when that sour feeling towards it has had time to dampen. Hide all your art specific supplies outta sight, they'll tug at you when
the moment is right. :) And you'll probably come back with a cleaner perspective.

Nothing wrong with a competitive nature but in art that's so hard? There's styles out there people prefer that others scoff at.
If and when you do get back into it though, I think having a period of drawing ONLY what you want is also important.
No commission like stuff, just draw what you think would be fun to draw.

Donator — Easterbun Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 16:11:36 )
@Millet: it’s been like this for 2 years now I think. It’s been an off and on break

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.