Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Literature WEBTOON

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 18:23:52 )
[Locked due to 6+ months of inactivity! If you'd like this thread unlocked to revive, bplease don't hesitate to PM a mod, or submit a support ticket. Thanks!]

Millet, spilling the tea:

WEBTOON: Phone App and website to read indie comics! Anyone can join and submit comics to build a following.
It's really cool because if and when you gain popularity, Webtoon removes you from the "Discovery" list and places you on the discoverED list and then can be compensated based on interactions. (Views, clicks, shares, hearts, comments). Even Stan Lee caught wind of it a few years ago and helped Webtoon expand as he loved the concept. I'm not there to create, I strictly read but this thread is for anything and all Webtoon!

Tell me your favorites! Tell me your theories on still developing stories?? Who do ya ship?? I wanna know!

Please put key plot spoilers into an actual spoiler tag when discussing, thank you!

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 18:24:03 )

Everything here is plot spoiler free.

Category: Romance but I disagree? There's barely any romance it's definitely more drama/mystery.

Summary:A girl named Shin ae Yoo has extraordinary bad luck.
Misfortune has plagued her since she was a child and she strives
to maintain at least a mediocre life style. Her mother and sister up and left one day.
While Shin ae has a loving relationship with her father, he struggles with drinking and depression;
leaving him unreliable. She has to use her own resources to survive school and the other onslaught
of challenges life mercilessly flings at her. She ends up making new friends under random circumstances
that will inevitably change her life...for better or for worse?

MIllet's Rating: This is by far my favorite Webtoon series.
It gets criticism due to being in the romance category- there has
been only hints and no official romance whatsoever despite being almost
a hundred chapters in. However, it's obvious the writer
is really building up to something. Shin Ae is a wonderfully relatable yet
complex character. There is lots of funny moments, and
serious moments with suspense. As soon as a handful of questions are answered,
a handful of other questions are newly raised.
it just feels like a in depth thought out story and I can't wait to see
how the author intends to conclude it.

Genre: Drama (agreed/Supernatural)

Summary: There are more people with super powers than not, and those without powers
or have weak powers get nowhere in the world. Status, luxury and glory in entertainment
and government alike is reserved for those with top tier magical power. Even the school systems
operate under hierarchies of students. Never speak up to someone stronger than you if you don't want
to be hospitalized and then miss out on classes and fail.
This has been the established way of life, our main character John is known as a "Cripple" one without powers.
Yet he is the exclusive best friend of the "Queen" of the school, infuriating everyone else as this contrasts the norm.
John seems to not mind being the cripple and always puts up a fight to everyone's chagrin.
Sera acknowledges her privilege and is jaded with the societal structure, desperate to find something to be
passionate about aside from her title of Queen.
An organized group of serial killers going by the name "EMBER" are on the loose, their target: High Tier. Extremists clash
in the world while our main characters try to survive it and school together.

Rating: This is a solid story of depth, redemption and plot twists. Sounds very "my hero academia-y" but it's really not.
John is a very interesting main character and his development has been an adventure to follow.

Genre: Drama (This one feels more romance-y than Drama focus imo but it does have serious arcs.)

Summary: Hana and her family have an ancient curse from the beginning of their blood line.
Once they have their first kiss, they will turn into a dog every night of their life until they can
receive a second kiss, from the same person that gave them their first kiss- while they are in dog form.
Unfortunate luck for Hana who on a drunken night kissed a random coworker who is phobic of dogs.

Rating: Very cute story, still ongoing the buildup feels natural. Has some plot lines that highlight
problems with certain ideologies and school culture that I appreciate.

Genre: Action/Drama
Heads up: The art received a lot of criticism in early chapters, but be amazed as each chapter the art
gets better and you're like: Damn friend, good job. You've super improved.
Summary:The main character Bam was trapped underground as a kid and had no way of escaping.
A young girl named Rachel enters one day, and befriends Bam- teaching him how to read,
write, play games, speak, etc. She'd always leave though and would not permit him to leave with her.

One day she declared she was leaving forever, and he panicked as Rachel is the only other human being
he knew. Some magical force absorbed the both of them and Bam found himself inside a place only
called "The Tower". The tower is a survival of the fittest complex of games. The higher up you go, the
more wonderful things and luxuries there are. Everyone starts on floor one and works their way up.
There are only two ways to be brought to the tower.
"Regulars" are invited by master Haedon who is in charge of the first floor.
"Irregulars" extremely rare, are chosen by the tower itself and usually when they show up- things
never go as planned. Both feared, hated, desired and loved depending where you fit in the political scale
of the tower. Bam, shows up alone and frantically wants to find Rachel- convinced she must on a high floor.
Bam fears for his life as he is extremely average with no talents but he has one thing going for him:
He is an irregular. A story of survival, friendship, betrayal and confronting society.

Rating: This story is very long and still on going. I'm about 200 chapters behind as I write this.
But I do love it very much and the cast of characters are all fleshed out and well balanced time
wise so that I don't forget any of them.

Genre: Romance/Drama

Summary: Lyra is a beautiful young girl trying to run her grandmothers flower shop with her best
friend(child hood) and secret long term crush- Shon. He's with someone else though and Lyra
does her best to wear a grin and get past it. But her heart throbs. Something that would later
Capture the attention of a siren who steals a kiss from her and flips her life upside down.

Rating: The art is beautiful, the love triangle is solid without it being cringey/cliche.
This story is good with its most recent plot twist (as I write this) coming out of nowhere
slapping us unsuspecting readers haha.

Genre: Romance/Drama

Summary: A modern retelling with generous twists while still paying homage to the original greek myths.
Centered around the story of Hades and Persephone.

Rating: I loved this a lot more than I thought I would! The story handles some dark themes/content
very nicely and symbolically. The characters are easy to follow and select favorites-lots of circumstances
you'd relate to from real life, while still being fantastical, magical, and cute with shocking dark moments.

Honorable Mentions

The following stories I like but for personal subjective preferences that I'll quickly detail below,
don't quite enamor me as much as the others I gave summaries too.

Let's Play: Beautiful art, characters and I'm interested but at this point without much plot development
and vague direction- it's mostly just a guilty pleasure.

True Beauty: It's still a newer comic so while I am enjoying it I can't advocate quite yet.

Lumine: I am excited for this comic but it has quite a slow development and it feels certain
chapters are stretched out quite unnecessarily long with cliche and predictable dialogue
during a lot of that. The story seems solid and I'm looking forward to it changing up a bit.

Mage & Demon Queen: I just like lesbians. It's like not an ecchi but teeters there.
So far no real character development, and the world feels small still. No real progress
either and is mostly just funny. If it gains more depth I'll move it up with the others.

Lookism: I almost didn't put this one here, I almost put it up with the others.
But this is guilty of one glaring problem in the sea of wonderful things about it...
WAY TOO MANY CHARACTERS. I came to this story late but got all caught up and
am invested. But the cast is so damn large that the plot feels like it goes missing
for long durations and leaves other characters less opportunity to become fleshed
out. It's like watching an amazing anime but suffering through a hundred non-canon
episodes and not having a guide when you'll get back to the story. Literally everything
else about this comic is amazing though.

My dear cold blooded King:
I'm surprised I'm still reading this one to be honest. It's super popular but of all the stories
I read this one is by far the most cliche'. Cliche's can be okay when you add some artistic
flare to them but I don't really see that with this. Ordinary Main Character. Is no longer
Ordinary and gets mega promotion to work side by side with royalty. 2/3rds of males
want to sleep with her, the other third want her dead for whatever reason or can't make
up their mind which extreme. Love triangle that wasn't paced well in my opinion. It feels
like the author doesn't have a established direction and is writing a lot of this as she goes
WHICH IS OKAY but plot wise disoriented and leaves important moments feeling lackluster.
If you want a ancient chinese brownie romance, go for it.

Age Matters: Same as everything stated above about My Dear Cold Blooded King,
except it's in modern time asia and instead of royalty it's a knock off of facebook.
Art is super duper extra pretty though.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 18:24:18 )

(I will list a "to read list" here if anyone convinces me to start a series)

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 18:24:33 )

(webtoon news and updates)

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 18:24:45 )

(and you are free to post now!)

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 19:52:22 )
You gotta @Mention me.

I've been reading The Gamer.
Main character finds himself given videogame abilities in real life. So he works to raise his level and stats, while trying to figure out wtf is going on around him after his new powers came to him.

I've read some of Tower of God. it's good, but I stopped following and it's gotten so far along now.
I need to re-read it and catch up eventually.

Join the Horde. We have bananas. 🍌
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 20:03:03 )

Just finished editing my favorites post. >.<

@rallaa: Yeah tower of God is insanely long. The author mentioned they have the plot planned out
to last about 4-5 seasons long. Yet we are on season too that is like 300 episodes long. It's still going
strong though so hopefully its due to a complex plot unraveling rather than later just trying to stretch it out.
So far I love it.

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 21:06:41 )

☃︎
Hello all~

My reading list is sooo very long here XD

I have to mention the first one I ever read, it was Family Man there are only 41 episodes in this one and it made me cry. It is about a factory worker named Gang-ho. A work accident leaves him disfigured so he adopts a friendly superhero persona so he won't scare his daughter. There are a number of things that happen in this story to this man and his family, I giggled and I cried. I feel like this one isn't really known but still it was wonderful.

Noblesse: After a nap lasting 820 the Nobless(Rai) awakens and starts his new life among humans as a high school student. The school he attends is funded by his loyal servant Frankenstein. His peaceful life is about to be turned upside down as mysterious attackers make their appearance, collectively known as the Union. I love the art in this one, it is currently in it 538th episode....I am invested in it so even though there are elements that annoy me within the story I look past it. XD There is death, betrayal, plot twists(some predictable) heat warming moments and ones that make me want to rage quit....but I can't help but come back. There are the Nobles, the Werewolves, and Modified humans, war is brewing along side the typical high school drama items. It is a fun read.

Other Favs: Gepetto, Bastard, Nano List, Blue Chair, Flow, A Budgie's Life, Winter Woods, Sidekicks, Penguin loves Mev, Super Secret, Gosu, Darbi, Strawberry Seafoam, Po's Little Planet, Yumi's Cells, and Catharsis.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 22:53:37 )
I like to read and get updated on my webtoon when my books on overdrive aren't available yet. XD

These are the ones I try to keep up with-

Tower of God
The Steam Dragon Express
UnOrdinary
Strawberry Seafoam
Super Secret (so cute aaaaahhhhhh)
Sarah's Scribbles
As Per Usual
Siren's Lament (obsessed- this one is so beautiful!)
Saphie: the One-Eyed Cat
Dice

I loved Flow, but it's finished.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator — He Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 22:59:39 )
Ahh ToG & Dice are definitely my favorites <33

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/30 23:20:05 )
^noblesse was introduced to me by someone years go!!!

I follow bluechair!! I used to follow uhhhn a zombie apocalypse with girls... what was the name... it's over...

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/1 00:19:15 )

Actively reading Siren's Lament, Let's Play, I Love Yoo, Super Secret, and Rebirth at the moment.

Will eventually get back to these once I stop being lazy (long story short, I can't log back into the app so I'd have to figure out where I left off)
Messenger
Lavender Jack
Assassin Roomate
Empyrea
Carl
Sweet Home
Melvina's Therapy
My Giant Nerd Boyfriend
Waffles & Pancakes
Lumine
#Blessed
Aerial Magic
Hellish
Axed

I've only finished a handful of webtoons.
Warning Label
My Boo
Winter Woods
Bastard
The Stories of Those Around Me

Donator — Trash Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/1 02:32:03 )

I read a lot of webtoons xD. Literally before i fall asleep I'll be reading them lol.

- Unordinary
- Lookisms
- True Beauty
- Sirens Lament
- Sweet home
- Lets Play
- Subzero
- I love Yoo
- Flow
- Catharsis
- Bite me
Im pretty sure I missed more lol.

Art Thread | Garage Sale

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/3 13:07:58 )

Im starting to lose my focus on tower of god. Its just so damn long. I think I needa abandon it for a bit to get re- interested.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/5 15:48:37 )

This last episode of Let's Play finally annoyed (? I guess) me with all the sort of shipping, lol. Like jc quit tugging me around, lmao
AND OMG THE LATEST EPISODE OF MESSENGER
no spoilers but omg I can't believe that happened!!
you can't do that! ; o ;

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/5 22:03:54 )

Yeah I have no idea what the author is plotting and planning for.
It seems super insinuated that Viewtube guy will eventually become with our main character.
But I like him with Pinky???? Aside from that one relationship flaw like- ?

Link was out of character as well, not answering MC "if this is a date".
and the whole insinuation of "Oh this ship can't work because MC isn't dark enough to bond with." =_=
I'm mostly annoyed that we know for the most part what the author wants to happen but have zero indication
that we are coming close to that direction. As the MC and Viewtuber barely talk and at this point dont seem super compatible.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/6 21:36:17 )

@Millet: Yeah, I think they're pretty good for each other except for that one thing, like you said, lol.
And would you mind explaining
Millet:
and the whole insinuation of "Oh this ship can't work because MC isn't dark enough to bond with." =_=
(I don't think too much on these things, sorry x.x)
Mmm, but yeah, I'm like, when is he going to play the damn game again <_<

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/6 22:09:25 )

at the end of the chapter where link was day dreaming or whatever and he saw MC as this "light and happiness"
and then saw the redhead girl as a darkness that he relates to and walked away from MC like "nah you' make me happy but
this sadness is home" was just weird considering he has had a crush on MC FOR A LONG TIME /endrant

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/8 17:32:46 )

I read it again just now, and honestly to me it looks more like Sam made him happy (indicated by the light he gets surrounded by) and he just wants to help Angela (depicted by his lion form)
but then that all went to hell with the end of that comic, so idk xD

pls don't

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2019/05/27 17:52:56 )
I mostly read manga, but from webtoon my favs are Lookism and Dice :D

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.