Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Does Christmas mean the same to you as It did when you were a child?

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/29 11:29:49 )
@Kirrai: not really the fact of that, but more of family, and friends growing apart, numbers changing friends and family passing away everything changes all in a good amount of time.
If you can’t say something nice, Don’t say anything at all!

Voltie Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/29 15:37:21 )
. . . . : ∴ . . ∴ : . . . .

@kirrai: She sure did she made it a magical time <3 Thanks love

. . : : . .
✝ Sabℜina ✝

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/29 20:19:29 )

☃︎
Well that only applies to the family I live with. I did have to spend a Christmas and Thanksgiving with my extended family one year....it was less that pleasant....but I suppose the drama could make for a good one shot short story. XD
You are right things are getting more and more pricey....but I have found that if you are looking for decorations you can always buy ones right after the holiday and save a little. I find this works best if you already have a theme for the next year in mind. This would be for the smaller accessories like candles, streamers, ribbons, decorative bulbs and things like that. Plus you can always hit up the craft shops when they have their sales. I also like to buy what I call mainstays like holly, cranberries, pinecones and wintery things that have easy colors to work with, if you are going for that more traditional look~

On the flip side I would really like to do a gift box tree one year and just decorate with ribbons. maybe some faux snow in the windows etc. I live in the south eastern part of the US so snow doesn't really happen here. I think I might do a mini one for the dining room table. with like ring boxes...I actually enjoy gift wrapping~ so I am a little excited about the prospect.

Donator — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/29 23:26:58 )
@Kirrai: Instead of buying a bunch of small gifts for each other, I proposed buying one or two larger gifts to ourselves. We could still unwrap them together so we would have something to do other than just brunch. I proposed it too late, but who would have suspected that someone had started Christmas shopping in July? I've only talked a little about it for this year. Apparently my grandmother will be visiting this Christmas which adds another layer of complexity and anxiety.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/2 14:28:39 )
@Saeyra: So so true.
-----
@Sabrina: That's ok ^^
-----
@Alyssya: I think my step-mother has said something to that effect, but again those are usually busy times to shop and I really can't handle that.
I've never seen someone do a more traditional Christmas with more traditional winter decore like you mentioned, Since I do live in Australia. But it sounds incredibly beautiful <3
That sounds beautiful, You should definitely do that :D
(Honestly, I'm bad at wrapping presents... and I don't have the patience for it, and every year I regret the shapes I have to wrap lol)
-----
@Selikait: I can see the pros and cons of doing it that way, but it's an interesting idea :)

Wouldn't it be easier to do a secret santa type thing (aside from the anonymous part) where you each get a person who will be attending and you buy a gift for them. Then everyone is guaranteed a gift. You could even set a budget?

Donator — She/They Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/2 15:19:12 )
@Kirrai: That could have worked, but my parents are divorced (but agreed to have brunch together) so the secret Santa would be iffy with who got whom.
Feel free to ping me. I'm forgetful.
Temp Free Avatar Art
Trading and Selling Items

Donator — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/3 00:40:39 )

☃︎
@kirrai: The days after Christmas have gotten busier with shops wising up to people wanting to spend all those holiday cash gifts...if going out is an issue maybe you can see if your favorite craft shops offer online shopping. Also if you are up for it I know of a few websites that do themed gift exchanges with holiday decorating items as a theme....but you may have to wait for next year for that one.
Ahh I forgot that is right you are in Australia it is warm there right now isn't it~ I am in the south eastern part of the US so I know the plight that is warm summery Christmas~ Doesn't stop us from decking out in that traditional stuff. It is all fake so buy it once maybe twice and you are good.
As for the boxes...if they are ring boxes just for the gift box tree set put you can kinda cheat, but I feel you. Wrapping gifts is tough sometimes. I don't like odd shapes either so I try to find ways to make them look cute with little effort. This is where gift bags and tissue paper come in handy.

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/3 08:57:53 )
As a child, it meant no school for two weeks. As an adult, it is another day. My upbringing is that of a family who does not participate in holidays, barring any social events Mother has us go to.
Item QuestHangoutSales

Donator — She/her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/10 07:55:00 )

Yes Christmas used to mean more to me. My family is pretty separate now. Divorces and deaths in the family, plus people moving far away for work (including myself) means that there will never be any get togethers like the ones that I had as a kid. Wow, now I am really bummed. :(

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Donator Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/12/20 03:19:52 )
There's some stress in my family right now because my brother and his wife are going through a thing, and they have a new baby. But she's always been kind of...hm...avoidant? absent? during the holidays, so not seeing her is nothing new. And she's ungrateful when we did see her. She doesn't give anyone gifts and doesn't thank anyone for the ones we give her. lol I don't know what her problem is. I would like to see my new nephew for the holidays but I'm not sure if I will or not.

Other than that, things are pretty great. Except I forgot to buy my aunt something and don't have a clue what to get her.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.