Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Cirque ad Infinitum Act 9: Viperous Vengeance

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 22:53:32 )

“BERIN!” An inhuman screech ripped across the fairgrounds, stopping everyone in their tracks.

The group turned to see what used to be Arika. The bottom half of her body was a long bright green tail, much like that of a snake. A mess of snakes sat where her beautiful curls once did, and her eyes glowed an unnaturally bright green.

The half-woman, half-snake monstrosity scrambled over to the sleeping body, falling to her hands and shaking. Her snakes reeled around, baring their fangs at the crowd intruding behind them.

Smolkie pulled Valentina back from the scene, putting space between them and the monster.

“Ma miel, please, no!”

An uncomfortable silence fell over the rest of the group, lasting a moment when Smolkie stepped forward to speak. Before he could get out one word, Arika let out a loud, long hiss that darkened the area around them, twisting the nature of the very space itself.
She held a hand to Berinhard’s face as she spoke.

“Everyone… Everyone thinks snakess are disgusting, lowly creatures…” She twisted her head around on her neck, glaring at the group. A long snake-like tongue flicked out of her mouth with her words. “But I assure you, the true vile creaturess are people.” The rest of her body turned with her head. “People like you!”

The Volties and Smolkie all took a step back as she started to circle Vontell.

“You all will suffer for thiss…” She lowered her head with a snarl, ”You sshall pay tribute to Him and He will help Berin! Your livess are forfeit!”

She charged them, the snakes on her head hissing and snapping. The group took off running on instinct, all in different directions.

“No, stay together!” Smolkie shouted after the group, but they were already gone. He ran to find a hiding place for himself.

As they concealed themselves in their respective hiding places, all they heard around them were echos of Arika cackling and hissing through the distorted circus grounds.

Smolkie crouched behind a dumpster, shouting to the group, “Everyone—we need to get back together—we need to trap her!” He glanced behind only to realize she found him. “Oh no…”

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 22:59:44 )

Summary

After the showdown with Berinhard, the crew finds themselves being hunted down by Arika!
Only she doesn't seem quite... human this time around. And boy is she mad!
The crew needs to regroup and trap her, but in trying to hide you've found yourself in a maze like room.
You need to find your way to the other side and find the rest of the group to put your plan in action.

Instructions

This is a team effort.
Discuss with everyone which route you’d like to take next.
Your movements are through a first person perspective, remember that when you make turns!
After a move is taken, you will be presented your options for the next move.
You will have 10 minutes to decide as a group.
Work together and reach the end of this maze, where Vontell will be waiting.

Prize

Participation in this event will unlock additional poses in the Snake Charmer EI and grant all participants a free one.
Additional copies will be available in Joyful Jamboree for purchase with Tickets.

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:01:12 )

Arika knelt on the ground with her head hanging down, caught in the runes, panting heavily. Her whole body shook, weakened by the strength of the runes. “I won’t stand for this. You will all pay for what you’ve done to Berin—” She faltered, falling to one of her elbows, her arm outstretched. “Berin…”

Valentina stepped up next to Smolkie and chuckled. “I’d say she’s had enough.”

“There’s nothing on her… Everything is part of her body…” Velvet piped up from behind, watching the half-snake, half-woman.

“I might have to assume you need to exorcise her as well,” Vontell chimed in.

Smolkie crouched down in front of Arika, holding his pocket watch. “Yes, precisely what I was thinking.”

He reached through the runes, placing the watch against Arika’s scaly hand.

After taking a deep breath, Smolkie chanted, “Debilis tenebrae animus!”

Black smoke oozed out from between her scales, much like the others, and he pulled the pocket watch back.

When the smoke ceased, he dangled the watch between him and her. “Lovely Arika, could you hold your head up for me?” He flicked his pocket watch again, making it swing in front of Arika’s bright green gaze. “Now, follow the watch if you can.”

Arika’s eyes followed the bilateral movements, the glow in them fading out. A loud snap from Smolkie, and she was out. A deep sleep took both of them flipping through her memories.

She was an only child. Her father was a successful business man, working his way to a CEO position. Her mother had no job skills and stayed home to take care of Arika.

First, she lost her father. The cancer spread faster than her 4 year-old mind could interpret what was happening. Her mother was devastated.

Without the income of Arika’s father, her mother had no choice but to step up. But she couldn’t get past her loss. Unable to cope and irresponsible with handling money, she fell into use of illegal substances, alcohol, and…

“She brings strange men home at unholy hours...” Arika had once heard friends of her parents talking about her mother. “I heard she does it while her child is home!” “She was only with him for the money.” “That child will grow up to be just like her.” “Sinful.”

Vile.

Snake.

Young Arika knew the two of them could never live as happily as they did once, but to be ostracized like that from family friends was disheartening. She tried to plead with her mother as best a child could. Seeing her mother random bruises and black eyes, ripped clothing, stumbling and incoherent was too much. And her mother knew this.

Arika waved at her mother from the taxi, a locket with an emerald gem around her neck and a handful of dollar coins in her coin purse, thinking she was off to the grocery store. When the taxi continued to drive for over an hour, she realized she wasn’t going to get groceries. Her mother had sent her to an orphanage far away enough that she would never be recognized.

Initially, she trusted no one at the orphanage, unsure how to after what happened to her mother. Berinhard was the first to show pure interest in her and not where she came from, their resolve to prove the world wrong bringing them together.

It was when she heard news of her mother’s body being found—dead by overdose—that she fully understood the lengths to which humanity could drive someone.

If they call her a snake, so be it. Humans were more vile to her than a snake could ever be.

“I believe you, sir, were right.” Smolkie stands and turns to Vontell.
“We just might have to exorcise every one of the troupe members.”

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:03:18 )

You find yourself in a dark room, visibility low as fog’s covering the majority of it.
Looking back, you notice what was once the entrance is now locked.
There are faint noises here or there, you can’t exactly make out what they are but they don’t sound too friendly.
Danger could emerge at any moment, best not stay in one place for too long.

Which way would you like to go?

or

Voltie — HIM Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:12:32 )
Let's keep our hand on the left wall, I guess, and go left?
Wardrobe/Art Collection

Art by kiwi

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:20:47 )
Medusa!!!

Sounds like a good idea, Rallaa.

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:22:35 )

Yeah its 50/50 so left is as good a guess as any. I will go with left too.

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:24:02 )

Your path has been chosen

As you begin you decide any way is just as good, unknowing what’s ahead.
You chose your way to the left, getting a feel of the wall in case it gives any clues.
Although there is a wall to your right, you can hear shuffling happening on the other side of it.

Or

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:24:57 )

Sorry just missed that last round.
Um, sounds like back is safest here?

Voltie — Princess Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:26:10 )

Forward. The shuffling is on the right and other side of the wall so I think we good.

Always ping me please.

Donator — he/him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:26:24 )
Forward seems fine. o 3o
Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:27:07 )

Can I change my mind? I'll go forward.

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:28:18 )

I'd like to keep going forward.

Admin — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:32:10 )
Let's go forward!

Donator — They/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:32:17 )

forward and onwards seems best i agree

Npc — She/Her Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:33:19 )

Your path has been chosen

As you continue forward, you find yourself facing a wall, but a path has opened up to your right.
The shuffling heard before has become distant now, it seems you’ve passed whatever it could have been.
For the moment at least.

Or

Voltie — Damned Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:33:55 )

Right seems fine.

Just because you don't see me doesn't mean I'm not here. I'm a lurker.

Deals With the Devil

Donator — 0% Edible Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:34:24 )

I vote we go right

Donator — They/them Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:34:51 )

since the noise is leaving, then right might be safe
(Avatar Closet)

Admin — He/Him Posted 5 years ago ( 2018/11/3 23:35:29 )
I'm suspicious of the path opening to the right - what a coincidence!?
I'll be the odd ball and say let's go back!
If you need assistance or just want to chat, you may contact me anytime by ping or PM.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.