Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat The Cat That Came With The House

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/1 12:36:59 )

I'm really at my whits end with this cat... It came with the house that we moved into...
Albeit unintentionally... but none the less we have a cat that we didn't want in the first place.
So I've been trying really hard to like bond with it or whatever, and for the most part we are okay with each other...
That is until these past few days. She wont stay off the cabinet and tables, she wont quit trying
to tear up literally any and all paper products, she even has started attacking me every time I spray her....
With water of course, like how I was told to. Basically she is turning into the spawn of satan.
I have so many cuts and scabs because of her. I'm trying to rehome her currently.

Do you have a satan cat? How do you deal with it? What am I doing wrong?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/1 14:26:39 )
All cats are like this. They are trans-dimensional beings. They get bored and mess with us for sport, and bend physics to their whims.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — he/him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/1 20:14:01 )
lol Sounds like she needs to be played with. And given treats too, probably. If you don’t have time for that, you probably should give her a new home.
Ash 8/7/19
Kate 1/9/22

by YukiThePanda <3

Twitter

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/1 20:16:44 )

Time to call the cat whisperer.

Donator — sheep Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/1 22:02:03 )
It might just take a while to get along with a new cat, especially if you're not used to having a cat. Of all 25 years of my life I have never lived without a cat in my house, so I know the struggles of them being pesky little beasts. Definitely buy it some toys to play with and make sure you spend a little time every day giving it some play time. A laser pointer is awesome for this because you can make them run around like crazy and tire them out. If they're tired they are less likely to be that wild.

I had a cat once who just straight up didn't like people. She wouldn't let us near her and would hiss if we wanted to pick her up and cuddle her (and to her dismay I always wanted to cuddle he because she was cute). Sometimes you just have to let them be.

Perhaps you should spray her and when she gets off the counter quickly give her a treat to reward good behavior. I know cats can't really be trained like dogs can, but eventually they'll learn good behavior.

Sometimes...lol
I have three cats right now and my fat orange cat has chosen my stuff to sleep on and shed his fur all over. But he's just too cute and too sweet to get mad at him. Honestly I'm too soft on my cats and I let them do whatever they want. xD

But honestly, if you don't feel you can get along with and love this cat the best thing for it would be to try and rehome it.

@ me to get my attention or I probably won't respond

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/2 01:43:39 )

It's hard with cats, because whenever you try to discipline them they take it so personally/seriously.
I would say get some toys for the cat. Laser pointers are great but its good to have other toys she can play with by herself. I also highly recommended a cat tree by a window or sliding glass door. My car LOVES his cat tree and we will spend all evening in it. He loves to look out the sliding glass door and see the birds. He also loves sleeping in it.
Cats like to be high up, maybe that's why he is going on the counters. Tall cat trees can be expensive. I would look online. I got mine at TJ Maxx and it was worth every penny.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/3 04:30:41 )

@Glume: Honestly cats just confuse me ;A;

@Kent: My husband found a home for her. Luckily.

@vengeance: Riiight xD Luckily my husband found a friend who is going to take care of her
They have a cat already that they were looking for a friend for it.

@iggy: The weird thing was that she was totally fine with me.
After like the third week she started getting hyper so I bought her treats.
Then this fourth week it just kept going down hill... I never had a cat act like this
so it confused me a lot tbh. We ended up rehoming her to one of my husbands
friends so she should be in a home with another kitty now.

@Totalanimefan: Sadly my husband wasn't wanting to deal with all that.
But a friend of his from work was listening to our conversation and so they
took her, they were looking for a playmate/friend for their kitten and said
she would be perfect for them. It just worked out well in the end.

Hangout || Questing
Please ping me if I don't reply.

Donator — ILOVEPUGS Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/3 07:36:42 )
Maybe she was hormonal? Was she spayed?

I personally find that cats tend to be born with certain personalities. All the cats in our house are s different despite being raised in the same enviroment

eeee ee eeee smoke weed everyday
(legitimately googled if this was pg-13 appropriate because I try to be a respectful stoner. So like you're welcome teenagers)
Working on a new signature.
PS-I LOVE PUGS

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/3 10:43:29 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Just stating there is not a single well known/established feline behavioralist that supports water spraying a cat and that is a very easy way to destroy your bond and be seen as the enemy. Some cats wont, but its still anxiety inducing to them and especially so to cat that hasnt bonded with you.

It is advised for counters and tables you use double sided tape sheets for several months until the cat is trained. They dont like their paws in sticky things.

Bond first, then behavior modify, never hit, spray, or throw things at your cat per professionals.

Play and stimuli is the number one best behavior modifier. Everything this cat is doing sounds territorial and that only gets reinforced if you are coming at them.

Im glad youve found it a new home but still wanted to make this tidbit known. :)

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/11/4 03:24:46 )

@MimikyuToo: That's great. I'm glad the cat had somewhere to go.

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.