Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/8 21:33:05 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/9 01:02:26 )
His name sounded immediately familiar, so I looked him up and I have read at least one of his books! Unwind, specifically (I didn't know it was a series?)

When I was in elementary/middle school, I'd go to the public library and just randomly pick up books from the YA section that sounded interesting. I read a lot of books during that time, most of which I don't even remember (and some of which were... very bad), but I remembered that I liked Unwind a lot. It was definitely a good dystopian novel for my edgy middle school self.

Also while I was skimming Wikipedia, I saw that it was labeled as "biopunk", sign me up for that genre wow

27/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/9 04:45:02 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/9 05:25:52 )
Hmm maybe I should get around to reading the rest of the Unwind series then... I feel like it's been a long time since I read a proper book.

Oh man, I wish I could remember the names of those books if only to warn you to stay away from them, haha. I hardly remember anything about them other than that I was sorely disappointed while reading them. (And my standards in middle school were pretty low let's be honest, so... that's saying something) Those memories probably left me for a good reason.

I realized that I didn't answer your question from the first post, but going to meet people that I don't really follow is definitely something I've done more than once. I literally slept in a parking lot in the shadiest part of town while waiting in line to meet a voice actor. I don't think I'll ever do anything like that ever again, that was definitely a low point

33/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/9 16:49:33 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/9 23:45:17 )
Ah I never got around to Artemis Fowl. I think it's because there were a lot of them and I never knew where to start? It was hard to read any kind of series at my library because books were always missing or perpetually checked out (waiting list of 20+ people are you serious). Is it still worth reading now?

The voice actor was Miyu Irino. He's pretty prolific, but off the top of my head I know he voiced Sora from Kingdom Hearts and Haku from Spirited Away. Nice guy, great voice actor. Props to the fans who slept on concrete with city rats at 3am, I respect that. But I don't think I was a big enough fan to justify doing that myself...

34/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 00:02:08 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 01:49:23 )
Rereading is such a gamble. I recently picked up some old favorite books from my bookshelf to read them again and honestly they are very trashy, I don't think I can look at them the same way again. I stopped before I completely ruined my childhood, haha

Ahh I feel like I'm never satisfied with movie adaptations if I've read the book beforehand. Very cliche but can't deny it.

I don't even know if there's anyone I would do that again for, yikes. That night was an extremely impulsive decision...

40/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/10 15:28:35 )

[x]

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 01:35:25 )
The one that immediately comes to mind is Maximum Ride. I mean it's not... terrible but was the writing really like this?? Did I really read this??? They recently (okay not recently, but I realized recently) made a Netflix adaptation of the book (or the trilogy? idk). Which I knew was going to be bad but I watched it anyway because I thought it'd be laughably bad, and yeah it was. Entertaining stuff.

Ya know, I think I was just... a very different person in middle school, haha. Must be.

I don't necessarily hate film adaptations - I generally think that (most of) the Harry Potter movies are good. The Hunger Games was fine too? (uh but I never read the third book so can't speak on that there) It's just that the book is almost always better whoops

I don't think I've heard of those books you mentioned. I think you'll be fine rereading if you go in with lower expectations than you might have had back then, haha

54/500

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/10/11 02:29:03 )

[x]

pls don't

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.