Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Artist Galleries Color theory advice

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 06:03:16 )
Locked due to 6+months of inactivity in the thread. If you would like this thread unlocked, please PM a mod.

Batsy Says. . .

So I have been studying as much as I can about color theory as I am extremely weak in it.
But i am still unsure on where to put certain color tones.
So I'd like to ask the people of voltra on what you do/have done to study placements of the correct tones[for example the face].
I would like to try to aim to try and paint semi realism but not sure how to start learning towards getting to that point
other than practice but i am very unsure where colors go.

If you have any links please feel free to share as I extremely want to get better at my art.
Especially with coloring my work as I would like to see my art complete for once. :vanora_sweat:

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 08:19:28 )

@MoodyBats: Try to recreate some paintings done by classical artists in different lighting. Try to study their work. Usually skin is really hard to do because it really all depends on your environment and light source. I don't think there is any easy way around it, you need decide on your environment and lighting first and then tweak until it looks right. References help alot if you can find them. I tend to look through the atlas of beauty for skin color references. It has really high res images and women from all different ethnicities as well. The portraits rarely have colorful light sources but you can practice what skin looks like under white or natural light. Hope this helps

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 09:57:46 )
Color theory is MY THANG.
So, color is great, because you don't have to use the "right" colors to convey something, color can be used to trick the eye. I learned a lot of my color theory while doing pixel art, limited color pallets force you to get creative. Am I correct in assuming you're familiar with the basics like the color wheel? https://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/basic-color-theory (<-Randomly grabbed reference from google)
Once you know that stuff, it can still be hard to decide what colors go where, so Saeyra is correct that references are great when you're learning... both photos and other drawings. Use the eyedropper tool around a piece of art/photo and really pay attention. Colors that read as warm browns to the naked eye end up being more like pale blues or greys.
My general rule for coloring anything is that things that are closer to the viewer (or highlights) should be warmer and more saturated, things that are further away (or shadows) should be cool and less saturated. AND because every rule in art is meant to be bent or broken, it can work the other way around, too, its more the contrast that makes everything come together.
http://humanae.tumblr.com/ is a tumblr dedicated to showing diversity in people, and they use pantone color to show the "average" of their skin color. Its also pretty great for referencing diverse facial features.
Ok, this reply is pretty rambly, but there is a tutorial I dug up that helped me a lot in the past. They're a bit better with words than I am, and they've got graphical representations to convey it :D http://www.floobynooby.com/ICG/artvalues.html I hope these things are useful!
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 12:36:28 )

@Glume: Thanks for linking Taptara! I was just about to add it in.

So far Xia Taptara has the best tutorial for skin that I have seen on youtube. Its 2 hrs long but its pretty in depth. The others are just like "slap color here and you are done"

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 15:07:07 )

@Glume: Dude I just started reading the floobynooby thing! I love it so much! It is really helpful! Thank you for sharing it!

Always ping me please.

Voltie — Moody Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 19:13:19 )

Batsy Says. . .

@Glume: yeah i am familiar with the color wheel and some other notes i've been taking.
I've been studying more about art through a bunch of youtubers and watching their speed paints, voice overs, etc.
I know some things of color theory. I think it's mostly placements of colors. Like for me i know some lighting and shadows.
it's what goes in between the lighting and shadows that doesn't make sense?

Like i know some basics of high lights, shadows and bounce light as well.
Thanks for the links, I will see if any of them help.
I'm pretty dumb with lessons so some things are hard for me to understand since my mind kinda works at a slower pace.

@saeyra: Thanks i'll see if it helps.

If you need my attention for any reason please ping me.
[My Website]

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.