Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat I need to work on my French.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/28 17:04:28 )
I live and work in Quebec, now that my job involves going to board meetings and being surrounded by funders, city representatives and other politicians, coordinators, executive directors, etc... I'm knee deep in territory that requires me to be bilingual.

I'm so anxious. I was originally told that I wasn't going to be super involved in these things but yesterday I had to attend a mandatory Annual General Meeting, I wanted to throw up. I was able to leave early as I had errands for my work to do but yikes. I understood some of what they said but some things went right over my head. I felt like I couldn't connect with some of the really wonderful folks there and couldn't ask questions, etc. Some were bilingual or at least understood English but it was still nerve wracking and I need to start learning. :vanora_sweat:

So... Anyone have tricks to learning a second language? Programs?

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/28 18:05:32 )
We\'ll carry on

Make sure to practice it with someone, a native if you can catch one. That helps you to learn it better and remember it better.
Oh and keep practicing.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/28 18:39:43 )
@Tuijp: For sure, I have a few friends who know French and it's their first language so I'll have to see if maybe they'd be up for tutoring me. ^^

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/28 18:44:00 )
We\'ll carry on

@nyreen: that would be a good practice

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 01:56:41 )
I don't think I can ever heal,
Ever replace that hole your death tore in me.

@nyreen: The best advice I've ever received regarding learning a new language is to just jump into it headfirst and immerse yourself in the language.
Living in Quebec (now I'm curious where... if you're near the Ontario border, you might be semi-close to me) would most certainly have you immersed in the language.
if you have someone from the area helping you with it, just roll with it, keep a notepad on you at all times - or a recorder - to jot down/record anything you feel you may need to remember in the future/may not be able to.
Encourage people to talk in French, even if they have to slow their speed down.

But really? Immersing yourself, from waht I've heard, can cut a 6 month learning time to less than half.

May not be the best advice, but that's what I've heard, anyway

Feb 17/69 - November 07/16
I miss you more than you can ever know.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 02:16:51 )
@Amber Lynne: Yeah, I live like.. a hour or so away from there! Holy poop, I could probably visit you. That's so odd! I didn't think anyone here lived that close to me. ^^

Well I use to know more because I went back to take grade 10 and 11 French at an adult education center. When I started working I knew some and learned more like food, drinks, products, numbers and basic phrases and greetings since I worked as a cashier. But the shitty thing 90% of my customers were English, then I went to work at an ALL English camp and now I'm at an all English youth club. And I have totally lost it all, except for numbers and fruits and veggies. I have those things burned into my memory bc of working as a cashier lol. XD

It really sucks though, I'm going to take a hour a day and make myself practice simple phrases, etc and read online in French. And maybe get a friend who speaks fluently and whose first language is French to tutor me. ^^

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 02:25:30 )

@nyreen: I'm in London Ontario. I'll let you figure out how far away (I'm like...2.5 hours from Toronto, if that helps at all.... 5? or so from Ottawa I think. Don't qupte my on that one)

And lol. Yeahhh
I was really good in highschool for French. Cheated on all my homework yet STILL came out with an 85
And even though I have a friend who IS French.... we chat in English. Lol.
Sooooooo me speakin' french ain't gonna happen anytime soon. > >

But yeah! You should see if you can find someone to talk to in French, and French only.
that is NOT online... because only translators, while lousy, are tempting. XD

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 02:27:10 )
@Amber Lynne: I googled it and you're almost 7 hours away from me. I'm in Montreal haha. XD

That's the thing!! Most of my French friends will speak English to me, and a lot say it's because they want to practice their English lol. But yeah, I'm going to try to find someone.~

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 02:43:06 )

@nyreen: Well, you could always see if they'll actually stick with French for a bit with ya =)
Might be your best way to learn.

Also, 7hours isn't actually too horrible. Would only be a couple hours (and pretty cheap overall, probably) via flight or Train

We could very possibly set up a weekend or something where we actually hang out and meet =)
I've always wanted to visit Montreal~<3

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 10:45:05 )
https://www.duolingo.com/ I used this to start learning German. I'd know German by now if I wasn't easily distracted.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/29 13:59:30 )
@Amber Lynne: maybe in the summer? we have tons of conventions and events going on then and it's SO fun to be out and about! I also won't be working at the camp anymore so I'll be in the city all summer. ^^
call me grem
they/them

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/30 02:25:27 )

@nyreen: If I can wrangle the funds, totaly~<3
My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.