Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Do you like Pina Colada's & getting caught in the Rain?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 17:25:59 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I certainly do not, at all..
Pina Colada's are way too sweet to me.
And I don't like being soggy without it being my choice.
I also hate bacon. The smell induces nausea.
The beach is super overrated. Being burned by sand
and playing in water saltier than my family members
in a high dense population is gross. Why do people like that?(Rhetoric.)
Cake is pretty gross. Again not big on sweets and cake is just boring to me.
I've had some fancy dang cakes and were "meh" at best to me.

Tell me the things you dislike that most others enjoy?
Color me curious.

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 17:47:02 )
We\'ll carry on

I agree with almost all, except the cake.

Marry me?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 18:52:30 )

Gotta propose on da radio. go big or go home

Donator — Winchester Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 19:24:52 )
We\'ll carry on

@Millet: fffine, hold on

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 20:07:44 )
Yes, Dark Master~

Things I dislike that others enjoy..? I admit...I feel unqualified to answer this question due to the fact that I tend to steer clear of human interaction in real life most of the time, but.....hmm.

My sister's friends seem to like greeting people with hugs, as well as some other people I know at university, but I'm really not too fond of touch at all... I only let them hug me and I sort of hug back because I feel like they won't understand if I step back, and they'll call me weird or something.

I'm not fond of parties at all, or clubs... Actually, I don't think I've ever been to a club or a popular music concert and I doubt I ever plan to, since the noise would probably overload me. I say "popular music" concert as in reference to things such as Justin Bieber (outdated, I know, but I can't recall any artist names right now) or whoever the new person is these days. I say this in clarification because I have been to orchestral concerts and choir concerts so I felt like some clarification was needed.

I guess I'm also not too fond of leaving the house at times or being in crowds.

Oh, I've remembered things I absolutely hate. Orange marmalade, for one, and lettuce. They both make me want to gag. My sister was pissed the one time she made a salad and I struggled to finish it, but I honestly can't eat green leaves just like that by themselves... Salad dressing can make them somewhat tolerable if it uses balsamic vinegar, I think, but other than that... Eh.

Please don't ask about the time I forgot why I hated marmalade and smothered it all over my toast again to find out why I hated it. That was hell.

I'll probably remember more later XD

Does it please you, Master Dowan~?

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 20:32:28 )

Dipper: No dude, I'm exactly the same in concerns to hugging. I don't greet with hugs. When people start coming at me, arms spread out I immediately get anxious/awkward feeling.

With that I also hate parties and loudness.
(I made a entire thread on loudness recently in the serious talk forum.)
Small gatherings of close friends is amazing but I see no point of paying
to be in a room that is stuffed like a sardine can and devoid of stimulating
conversation due to the blasting of music the speakers often can't even handle.
It's often smelly too from sweat and heavy breathing. Blegh!

I'm not adversed to being outside, I love the Fall weather and just want to enjoy it.
I only get to enjoy it though now that I don't live in a city.
It was impossible to just "exist" outside
without some obnoxious display of something occuring around me or at me.
I value my alone time greatly.

Hmm, I don't love orange marmalade but I don't detest it either.
It's like I'd never order it or buy it but if someone made it I'd kinda just
inwardly aknowlege its existence? Haha.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 20:36:35 )

Well I agree about the beach. + I hate to get sand in my shoes. I also dislike coffee and tea. And I do not eat sweets.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 20:48:34 )

I can tolerate lakes pretty well so long as its not tons of people and the water is genuinely cool and not piss warm. xD

I don't think I've met someone who hated both tea AND coffee. Usually people are so on the fence of which one they
are obsessed with. (For me it's tea. tea. tea. tea.)

Voltie — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 22:13:17 )
Yes, Dark Master~

@Millet: Going outside can be nice but idk about the people part ahshdjshd, especially since a classmate of mine who lives in the same area as me recently had a bad encounter with some dude with a knife soooooo
She's fine physically but couldn't sleep for a while after that

And when i say same area i mean she's five minutes walk away.

Ah, I saw that thread... I meant to reply, I think, but my thoughts got too jumbled and I wasn't sure if I had too little or too much to say, honestly XD. Maybe my experiences don't really count much since...idk, I'm really tired right now and should probably head to sleep, it's 00:13 here XD

Does it please you, Master Dowan~?
"I'm the loser of the game you didn't know you were playing."

Ping me for a response.

"Someday, somewhere, somehow..."

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/18 22:25:50 )

Yeah that was my experience when I lived in the city.
Well, no knife. But twice in one week I was groped.
Both times while I was carrying large bulky items to another location
and couldn't do much to defend/take action. I'm very happy to be
out in the woods now despite a long commute to work.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/19 03:16:23 )
I agree on the beach. I think it's really nice in theory. But yeah, I hate getting sand everywhere and the wind blows everything all over the place, and there really isn't much to do besides drink saltwater and collect seaweed. But I live near some really nice beaches, so I inevitably have to deal with it when my friends suggest it for an outing.

I don't like alcohol. I hate how it tastes and how it smells and how it feels as it slides down your throat. I mean I know people don't drink alcohol for the taste, but I dislike it so much I don't think I could ever drink enough to get anywhere. And because of that, I dislike going to parties or "small kickbacks" or anywhere where alcohol is involved - I don't have anything against it, it's just not fun when everyone else is drunk and you're not.

I don't like sweets either. Things that are too sweet make me want to throw up. Frosting is the worst offender.

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/19 03:57:20 )
@Millet: Can I say everything? If not let me be specific: I hate words like doggo, spoopy, bork, etc. I feel like it makes people look like 8 year olds.

I'm a recovering addict and I hate being sober. I'd rather spend my life drunk / high and unaware of everything.

I seem to have an unpopular opinion on these kinds of websites, as I absolutely loathe anime.

I can't stand Markiplier or PewDiePie and I wish I could go one day without seeing their punchable faces.

I'm ornithophobic and while I don't hate birds, they scare the crap out of me and I just don't see their appeal.
Art and pictures don't scare me but I can't be in the same room with one that isn't caged. And if I'm at the park or something and one gets too close to me, I have to leave because I get too anxious. My fear used to be worse and just a picture or video would terrify me but I've been trying my best to desensitize myself.

Babies and toddlers aren't my favorite. I love my kids and that's because I made them. If they were someone else's kids, I would actively try to get out of being asked to babysit. I feel sorry that I feel that way.

I'm not big on sweets. I have to be in a certain mood for them to be appealing. Give me 100 cakes, I'll eat a small slice. Give me 100 steaks, I'll eat until it kills me. Lol.

Maybe it's because I teach Mandarin, maybe it's because I hate anime with a passion, maybe it's both, but I often run into people who want to learn Japanese and I just don't understand why Japanese over Mandarin. But, like I said, it's because I'm biased as hell.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

I have nothing against people who like these things. If these are things you're passionate about, that's awesome! Passion is great. Just, you do you, I'll do me. It's just personal opinions. : )

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/19 13:09:04 )

Haha, damn! You hit a lot of markers of things people like. Esoecially on an avatar site!

I took Mandarin for 4 years on a free scholarship as a child but havent touched it since and seem to have lost my knowlege of everything but numbers.

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/19 23:20:47 )
@Millet: Lol I guess I'm just a salty old bag. I seem to be the one who always has a lot of unpopular opinions. : P

I used to kind of like anime. It wasn't my favorite but there were some shows I got into. There are two people that just unfortunately were so terrible that I can't take it seriously anymore. And I know that I shouldn't let people ruin things for you but it's hard for me.

I love Mandarin. Everything about it is pretty to me. How old were you? I teach the 8th grade. So I teach 13 and 14 year olds.
I usually teach numbers early on in my class because it's simple (in comparison to what we'll be learning weeks in) and it's a good way to practice tones and stroke order.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/19 23:50:07 )

I started at 11years old. My teacher unfortunately died in a car accident..and my new teacher I just didnt seem to "get". I was best in class for annunciation (tone reading pinyin) but self structuring written pieces was extremely challenging for me. Like I could back then speak broken mandarin really well without it ever actually being fluent.

I remember as a beginner the entire class pronouncing 4 wrong and it was a funny back and forth of us going "sizzzz?" "Bu hao! Si! SI!"

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/20 00:26:22 )
@Millet: Structuring my own responses in college was almost the premature death of my career. But I found a little book that had common grammar mistakes. It explains why it's wrong and shows you what's more appropriate. I like it a lot. I forced begged admin to order some copies for the students.
With the tones, I always say that it's important but I also say in the beginning to get as close to my example for their own vocal range. It is daunting to them and I try my best to be encouraging, not just "Right, wrong, pass, fail. Goodbye." And every Wednesday, I sit out in the hall and have them each come out one by one and say the vocabulary to me. I tell them how they are doing with pronouncing everything. Friday, it's the same type of thing but for a grade.

But, I'm sorry to hear that about your teacher. : ( That's sad.

I always have at least one smart ass who says that they can speak Mandarin in the beginning of the semester, so I say, "go ahead. Show me." Even though now that I'm in my 11th year of teaching, I know what's coming. "Ching chong ping pong ding dong ling ling." (Or something equally racist.) I always ask them to do so just to see what exact type of bullshittery I'm going to be dealing with.
I also let them pick seats in the beginning. It's solely for observation. I am always planning to assign them their seating later. But this way, I will see who I can and can't place near each other if I want to keep my sanity.

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/20 01:23:57 )

Are you working in the actual public school system teaching or are you a program kids sugn up for outta school? :o

Yeah my first teacher was great, and had no issue patiently going over something numerous times until we grasped it. She was super charismatic and passionate about teaching her mother language. We had monthly field trips to eat at a authentic Chinese restaraunt her brother worked at, and made us order in chinese- and the waiters would get in on it, correcting our use pronunciation- or laughing if we accidentally said something else. (Hence the importance of tones. Same letters different tone is a potentially whole other word!) I cant remember what the word was, but I know my friend had ordered hot tea. And he used the wrong tonal pronounciation and the waiter died laughing covering his mouth like "do you know what you just asked for?!" I cant believe i don't remember what it was he said he said. It was like the differende between Cha! And chah sound wise. (Ā vs Á?? Maybe? So long ago haha)

Donator — - Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/20 01:52:14 )
@Millet: I teach in a private middle school. It's kind of snooty and I've had kids threaten me with their lawyer father for giving them poor grades when their work deserved it. I took a year hiatus last school year because I had such a demanding health issue, that I wasn't able to work.

Aw. It sounds like she was a very lovely teacher. I'm sorry for your loss. As a kid, even just for a teacher, death is confusing and depressing. At that age, I don't mean confusing as in you don't understand what has happened. I mean confusing because you have so much conflicting and scary feelings that it's hard to keep up.

Lol yes! I always say "Tones are important. Use the wrong one and suddenly your mother is a horse!" And my students always find that amusing.
Haha! I love that waiter's reaction. People learning new languages are afraid of sounding dumb or accidentally being offensive, but I've found that you just have to take it in stride. Native speakers usually are excited that you're learning their language and don't mind mistakes. They get how difficult learning a foreign language is. I find this sort of attitude to be especially true with native speakers of languages that are often overlooked.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.