Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Overstimulated~

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/16 18:16:42 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

I have this terrible thing, that I've had since a kid: I can't handle layers noise.

My hearing is actually very, very good. I can hear things most others can't hear/from far distances.
But it's utterly useless if there is another noise and then I can't hear anything even right next to me.

If I am having a conversation with someone, and like- a radio is playing.
I have to turn off the radio. Seems fine but it becomes a social problem during things, such as
Dungeons and Dragons. Teammates like to play with battle music playing. But I need it to be
so low that they claim they can barely hear it. Whereas I hear it and it sounds clear to me.
But when the radio plays at their preferred volume. I can't hear anything the DM is saying or
the players and I have to ask them to speak up a lot and they get annoyed. (not terribly annoyed- we are friends. but ya.)

It becomes a bigger issue if there is things such as a family gathering.
I'm not used to family gatherings, everyone in my family just kinda hates eachother and does their own
thing with minimal contact. But my fiance's family is jovial, super involved and has regular gatherings.
I don't mind that there's people around (I mean, I prefer my alone time but I'm not falling apart over human interaction now and then.)
but I do mind that there is so much noise..

The more layers of sounds start to physically jostle me and I cannot control it..

Dogs Barking.
kids screaming begging for a toy.
Fiance's father has a very deep but very loud voice and tends to yell a lot over everything.
(everyone kinda just accepts he has anger problems and yells angrily for no reason and treats it like a cartoon thing.)
My fiance has a very loud laugh and is always competing for higher volume over his dad.
Then the 2 uncles and 2 aunts who are having two conversations at once and trying to reel me in (to be courteous.
they all go out of their way to make me feel like family.)

The oven is buzzing
the microwave is humming
The ceiling fan is buffeting
doors being frequently closed and open.
sounds of steps up and down the stairs.
ringtones going off.

I get paralyzed. I freeze up. There isn't a headache but just a genuine over stimulation.
I get so friggin tense that if someone being kind touches my shoulder without my knowing I
jump like they stabbed me and it looks over dramatic and I feel super embarassed.
I feel like I kill the mood a lot. I did try explaining this issue to them and thoroughly expressed
"It's a me thing- I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong." so I try to escape but hmm..

They vy for me to come back and then I feel rude/guilty. But if I go back I get too overstimulated.
If I go away and try to come back in spurts I do a bit better but the minute I go away they all want me back.
"It's ok we accept you like this" is nice of them to say but they dont' seem to get that I don't like feeling like this.
Im not trying to hide myself in shame, I'm getting away from the thing that is causing my body to burn up in pain.
It's literally that bad, too much noise, and my body hurts. My head gets severely hazey/foggy. I can't focus on anything.
It's just a giant room of noise that is crippling. I've tried to explain that elelment but they just don't get it. (My fiance does, and
He has tried to explain too that I'm not taking frequent breaks to walk outside just to hide. but they don't get it xD "Well why
do her ears hurt does she need a ENT?" /myears don'thurt)

Anyone else relate at all? I know I can't be the only one with this issue. lol
This was like my entire day yesterday and it really left me feeling weakened the whole night
and even into today.... :/

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/16 22:45:38 )
I relate on some levels! I call it "reaching my noise quota".
I can handle noise for a bit and then I just can't. It also depends on how tired I am.
When I get to the point that I can't handle the noise anymore, my brain goes crazy. It feels like my brain is literally rattling around in my head and I can't function anymore. I can't think, reason, use logic, or anything other than cry.

It makes me feel bad as a wife and mom because I'm a teacher. My noise quota is used up long before I set foot back into my home. I come home to a husband (works from home) that needs a break and a toddler that wants my attention and affection and I'm just over noise. My husband wants to watch tv, my son wants to scream and run because he's so excited that his mom is home and all I want to do is go sit in the darkest, quietest room in my house.

My husband understands on some levels, but it still gets on his nerves sometimes. I have to ask him to choose one thing. He can function with a lot going on- he's watching football, listening to music, building websites, and trying to hold a conversation with me. I have to make him turn all but one noisy thing off.

I actually had to wear earplugs around my son when he was a newborn. My noise threshold was very low because I was severely sleep-deprived and stressed out and babies just scream and yell sometimes.

When I get too overwhelmed or stimulated by noise, I just have to tell my loved ones that I need to recharge or that I need a break.
Please ping! I get distracted easily.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/17 00:03:34 )
You wrote a really long intense post but all I can say is: same. I am this exact way. Noise in general gets on my nerves but multiple noises = no way!!! I put in ear phones to muffle the noise kinda and its works. I am generally terrible in social situations and my intolerance to noise is not the worst thing about me but I definitely feel what you're saying. It's exhausting :/

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/17 02:10:37 )
Millet, spilling the tea:

Ah! Im so happy people here can relate. orz

I tried looking up helpful techniques but legit, nothing has helped. Its just a quirk thats so challenging to have others understand. Its not a choice, its a physical and intense thing that wreaks havoc on me.

Voltie — Princess Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/09/17 09:46:08 )

Its weird for me I can listen to music while working but if its the tv I get really distracted and can't think. Also can't sleep well if the TV is on. The sound interferes with my dreams. Like I can still hear the TV in my dreams and my brain does weird stuff with it. Some people like to go to sleep with the TV on and can't sleep without it. And some people find white noise soothing...I don't really. Its just loud and gets really irritating after awhile.

Always ping me please.

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.