Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 23:04:23 )
What's the best deal you've ever got on a purchase? Thrift stores , garage sales , regular box stores, etc.

Mine was the purchase of 3 camera lenses , a mug and a bcbg max azria dress for a total of 3$ at a garage sale. I was estatic over the dress as it was designer but even more so for the lenses. One was a sigma macro lens which was retailing for 600$!

Donator — They/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 23:27:26 )

i can't remember what deal is the best since i go to thrift fairly often.
tho i did once get a bunch of monster high dolls for $20 at a fleamarket once.

my brother tho finds neat stuff at thrift all the time, things worth lots for only a few dollars.
recently he got a secondhand book from the books for sale shelf at the library for 75 cents.
he has me selling it on kijiji for $50 since it's worth $80+

Voltie — sewer rat Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 23:29:19 )
textbooks for the low low price of $399 /s

sayonara cheesecakes ( 0 ڡ≦)ゞ✩◄-gallery-►

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 23:42:06 )
@Zuzu: woah , that's impressive of your brother! I'd be in heaven with the monster high lot. I'm trying my hand at repaints and they're so hard to find for cheap now .

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 23:42:23 )
@okios: :vanora_cry:

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 00:04:22 )
@noodle: I'm guessing not . I love photography so it's not like I was going to get rid of them but to imagine the resale value on that was nuts.

Holy cow! I'm guessing there's a good story behind that?

Donator — A.I. Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 00:27:17 )

In comparison/retrospect, some of the best deals I've gotten aren't all that big, but I got a Sony headset for about half price one time, and nabbed a DVD set of The Matrix that came with a bust of Neo for like $25. Also once found a dress online that was kind of expensive, kept digging around and found it for like 1/3rd the price, and was glad because the material was crappy and definitely not worth the $60~ the original sellers were asking.

Sounds like a smokin deal on those camera lenses tho I mean holy cow. Some people just don't know what they got.

[ often multitasking unsuccessfully ] | [ I may take a while to respond, but haven't forgotten you! ♥ ]
qu'est-ce que tu vas chercher?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 00:51:06 )
I used to work at and eventually manage a thrift store.
My first steal was because they give you vouchers worth $5 a piece everytime you "work real hard". I worked hard enough to buy a pair of brand new Harley Davidson boots for free.
My second is my favorite story. I was cleaning and pricing a massive box of belts that came in... there had to be over 50 belts in this box alone, and I was urged to go fast and get them on the floor because they were high-quality. There was one belt that caught my eye and I took extra time with. The belt in question had a zipper along the length of it... I'd seen zipper belts before but none that zipped the whole way so I had to see if it worked. As I unzipped, I noticed a bit of green sticking out... It was lined with 100 dollar bills. In total there was $800 dollars in this one belt.
Now, I could have easily priced this belt and sold it to myself for $5, BUT I'M A GOOD PERSON, so I turned it in to my manager. The policy was that they hung on to it for a time, and if no one called looking for it, it would go towards helping the disabled... but I'd get to keep a portion of it. I took home $300 from that adventure.

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 00:57:58 )
@noodle: I can't imagine how stressful that had to have been! Especially as someone new. Sounds like your bosses use their brains though which is good for you.

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 00:59:30 )
@Vii: still sounds like some banging deals

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 02:58:37 )
@Glume:
I couldn't work in a thrift store I'd be sooo broke .
The money in the belt story is crazy. Good on you for being so honest though , you're a stand-up person.

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 03:00:43 )
@Vii: I swear there was more to my original comment but it deleted half of it ! That neo bust has to be pretty dope.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 10:57:57 )
@artits: It was the vouchers that kept me from going broke... unfortunately after getting those boots for free the manager just stopped giving them to me. I guess I wasn't supposed to do the thing they literally told me I could do :p

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 13:17:21 )
@Glume: awww that's no fair :vanora_cry: meanies

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 13:26:02 )
@artits: Yeah management there was bad no matter which location I went to. I was the only good manager and they chased me away. Makes me sad cuz that was my dream job, and I loved working with the developmentally disabled.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 13:38:15 )
@Glume: some of the best jobs lose really good workers because of bad management. Can only hope that one day they'll learn. It sounds like a fun and rewarding job so it's sad that it was ruined for you.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 13:44:27 )
I shop in charity shops all the time, they are so good for deals. I must have saved hundreds over the past year. My faves include a Jane Shilton bag for like £3, several top brand dresses too many to count lol, the best was prob a Barbour coat for like £10. They had some brand new black Doc Martens for about £30 last time I was in town but I didn't have the money lmao, but it's a good bargain for whoever got them.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/19 18:10:15 )
@sunny: 30 for docs isn't bad at all, especially considering they last forever!

Donator — They/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 00:51:09 )

@artits: i haven't seen mh in stores for awhile now, so i rely on my brother to find them at thrift.
a majority of my collection has come from thrift over the years. i have 271 of them now :D
i repainted a few of them but haven't finished customizing them since i procrastinate on wig making.
i'd like to try re-rooting them sometime but that;s even more tedious lol

(Avatar Closet)

Donator — hot bread Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/20 02:15:20 )
@zuzu
Rerooting them is so so tedious. Not to mention you have to be careful. My first one's head split open completely after like 4 hours of work . Not to mention I was using a self-made reroot tool because impatience. :vanora_cry:

Sig art by me
Pixel base :www.deviantart.com/keimichi

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.