Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Zombie Apocalypse and mental illness

Donator — squid Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:24:42 )
I love zombie movies, books, tv shows, all of it. However none of them have really touched on mental illness much (apart from TWD during one season with that young girl, although im unsure if that was mental illness or her young brain just breaking from all the crap she was dealing with). Im curious how all those with mental illness would cope with it all when the meds ran out, how those dealing with things like psychosis and schizophrenia would handle it.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:37:46 )
Everyone goes crazy during the zombie apocalypse, I feel as though those with some types of mental illness might be more prepared to cope with the stress.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:44:42 )

Honestly?
I'm willing to bet that those with severe mental conditions would be either the first to die, or the last.
First because they don't have the wherewithall to pay attention (those that suffer hallucinations, for example), thus making them easy targets.
Last because they'd be asses and set everyone ELSE up to die. (sociopaths, for example)

Donator — squid Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:45:56 )
@Glume: what about ones with the kind of mental illness that alters their perceptions though? say you see monstrous visages on people before the apocalypse, what would they see on a zombie? would they see the zombie as is?

Donator — squid Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:46:59 )
@Lady Luna: see thats what i thought too. but the more i think about it, the more curious i am. how would they really handle it? coming off the meds would screw most people up royally too

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:51:39 )

@nyx: Oh, without a doubt.
That's just the most logical conclusion I could come up with, without actually sitting and eciphering every single condition out there. XD
I mean, I know not all sociopaths, for example, are heartless bastards. Just the more severe cases.
I know that not all schizophrenics are constantly hallucinating, that's just specific cases.
Etc.

But! I do know that if those who HAVE the conditions didn't have to do shit, wellllll
we'd be fucked. To put it quite bluntly. XD

Donator — squid Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:59:06 )
@Lady Luna: oh yeah thats for sure. im also curious how those with things like agoraphobia, germophobia would handle it too
Just your friendly neighbourhood Goddess.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 00:59:23 )
Ok, so... society is our baseline for normal. When society crumbles, normal flies out the window. We'll all be on the same level at that point, I think. Survival will be more a term of animal instinct than how sane or not a person is, because we will all likely losing our minds at that point. No more rules or morals puts everyone on an equal playing field.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — Female Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 01:00:26 )

@nyx: Agoraphobia?
They'd probably be the safest of the bunch, because they would make sure they had a freaking FORTRESS. Like dayum.
germophobia? If they survive to tell the tale, they'd be the cleanest person around for miles, lol.

My Youtube. I upload Tuesdays

Ping me. always
ALWAYS looking for art of my Characters
If you do art, PM me

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 13:04:19 )
OH interesting topic!
But like some said, in those situations it's hard to figure out since most of the people kinda go crazy
so things they struggled with before might not be as apparent cause it might be written of as 'normal behavior caused by the apocalypse' basically

Also i don't know if you count PTSD as such but, even though not mentioned directly, im pretty sure they 'show' it quite often.
Or idk some kind of paranoid personality disorder?
A lot of them might just be developed throughout the apocalypse though, but it's hard to tell.
Others might be mentioned/shown but only subtly? Sometimes it can be made out from their behavior i guess, but if that's always an accurate representation? yeah that's questionable.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 13:10:30 )
And how they'd deal with it would not only depend on what theyre dealing with but also on the person themselves
even without meds some can cope better with it than others?
It can either help in their advantage or lead to an early demise, depending on lots of different factors i suppose?
also i love this topic, i have a weakness for all things having to do with apocalyptic scenarios
Sorry if Reply late!
Please ping me!

Questing

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/18 17:47:02 )
Jesus, I never thought about it.
Like an above comment, probably the first or last to die, depending
Call me ping me if you wanna reach me

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.