Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums Serious Talk Mosh Pit Etiquette!

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/13 22:35:05 )
Staff Memo:
This thread was locked due to inactivity, if you wish to unlock your thread please issue a ticket. Instructions to unlock thread found here.

Ya'll, I LOVE mosh pits and crowd surfing. I love metal and punk shows. I love getting right in there, letting go and having fun. But more recently I've had terrible experiences at shows and have found myself hanging either on the outside of the put or even farther away.

I recently attended a concert with my brother and was standing by the stage when a stranger approached me. His speech was slurred and I could tell he was trying to flirt, but it fell flat. I politely turned him down and took my attention away from him. He then just stared at me, it was super uncomfortable. The band came on, everything was fine, then a couple songs in the same man grabbed my shirt then started to use me to clear the row of folks by the stage. It took me a moment to process what was happening because I hadn't been expecting that. My brother grabbed him and tossed him across the pit, he face planted and went into the crowd. I was shocked. I hadn't done anything to provoke this and I didn't owe him my attention or time. It's very hard for me to not think that a reason why he chose to grab me was because I shut him down just minutes before. The rest of the show went well and I even managed to meet the vocalist.

At another show, and this surprised me because the band is rather left-wing and progressive, a man groped me as he passed behind me. I turned, and before he could get away, kicked the back of his knee and he fell. He didn't know it was me because of the large crowd. And after I realized I should have gotten a security guard. And realized that by reacting in that manner could have escalated the situation. >>;;

Experiences like this make me feel unsafe about attending shows. They make me think twice about getting into the mosh pit or crowdsurfing. I've had tons of great experiences too; Ex: Someone once shoved me too hard and my glasses went flying, he noticed then proceeded to stop everyone and they all looked for my glasses together, and found them! I've had kind strangers help me up when I've fallen or help me crowdsurf, etc. But yikes. The bad experiences just... really weigh on my mind. And it sucks.

Sorry.. I just needed to vent a bit. ^^;;

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/13 23:01:11 )
There is absolutely mosh pit etiquette and I'm surprised you've had such bad luck in metal crowds. The worst I've delt with personally are slam dancers, and usually the pit sorts them out. I've seen someone touched inappropriately once, and the band and the crowd called the scum out and sent him packing.

Donator — she, her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/13 23:29:14 )
I’m so sorry you had to experience those creeps!
I’ve had rude people who just couldn’t take no for an answer and still proceed to rip my hands off of the railing next to stage and push me into a crowd of teenagers. This one guy kept intentionally touching/bumping me.

There are a lot of good people in the pits, I’ve banded together with quite a few people to protect/baracaide younger concert goers.

I’ve also noticed different states have a different culture of mosh/pit. In NJ there’s usually never space between concert goers. In PA and some NY venues I’ve founded concert goers tend to stand with spaces between them.
Foever in my heart
Spookums 11/25/18
Angus 6/23/19
Mom 6/29/19
Dad 11/29/2021

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 01:00:10 )
@Glume: It really surprises me too, esp at the shows I went to. I go to hardcore and metalcore shows too, and the pits there are fucking awful. I didn't think to write about that in my initial post. I usually avoid the pits at those! You're talking about hardcore dancing right? The whole punching the air, jump kicks, I've even seen someone do somersaults in the pit and headbutt people. It's nuts! I saw Make Them Suffer and only went in for my favorite song bc the pit was terrifying. >>;;

@Lithium: It's gross! I need to tell a security guard next time and be confrontational. 99% of the time those assholes will be thrown out by the crowd, band and security. I'm just usually stunned that it's happened and I take a bit to process what has actually happened.

I find that certain venues in Montreal have different pit rules. For example the entire floor from a gate to the stage at the Metropolis ( now MTelus ) is a pit. The entire fucking thing. It's crazy! But if you go to Club Soda, Corona Theatre, most other places will have a pit, then a row or even two of people that push along moshers and keep the moshers separate from the other folks. And those folks also usually help pick people up.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 02:20:28 )
@nyreen: yep, those guys need to stop. You're supposed to all run around in a circle and slam into eachother. The fat guys are bumpers, and anyone on the edge needs to be prepared to brace the pit so it doesn't explode too hard. Any other actions are overkill.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 02:36:07 )
@Glume: I wish I could upload a video of the pit during Make Them Suffer. I took a quick video bc I couldn't believe it. There was this tiny bar and they made a wall of death. And then a dude went so hard, he plowed through the crowd, swinging his arms, right into me and knocking me off balance. That show was nuts. Amon Amarth was awful too lmao, people wouldn't let me out of the pit and were shoving me back in.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 02:41:11 )
@nyreen: I mean walls of death are walls of death, you gotta get out of the way!
...but I love that you've seen Amon Amarth! I suggest bringing some buddies to spot you while you're in and drag you out if you go down.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — they/them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 03:07:51 )
Metal and punk shows are awesome, but mosh pits always scare the hell out me. I'm 5'1", 100 pounds, so I'm basically a pinball in there. :| Of course, I have bad anxiety about being in a crowd in general, so even if I was normal-sized it probably still wouldn't be for me :P

I feel you on the creepy dudes part though. That's the worst. It's nice to know that sometimes they get what they deserve, but it should really be all the time. Those people are the ones who should feel unsafe going to shows, not you.
Sean, 25, they/them

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/14 03:15:47 )
@Glume: Oh no, of course. But I was four rows away. XD This guy was just spinning his arms and charged through everyone then knocked into me haha. I was with my partner at Amon Amarth, who had no problems getting out, so while he was exiting he didn't notice me being sucked back in. I always go to concepts with someone.~

@Theory: Yeeeah, I usually go with friends or my partner to shows. And they keep on eye on me usually. > w<
call me grem
they/them

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.