Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free

Forums General Chit-Chat Please tell me this is normal LOL

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 13:40:23 )
So I recently started having this obsession where I can't stop imagining what people will look like if they have no skin, and it's fucking ruining my dating life because people without skins look ugly and I'm laughing at myself right now because this sounds so stupid LOL.

Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and imagine myself having no skin and having a mini panic attack for 5 minutes before realizing that it's all made up in my mind.

This is normal right?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 13:48:07 )

@Vesta Rose: uhmmmmm idk xD
I imagine what people will look like with no eyebrows, but that's normal ig but no skin?? *Shivers* ew

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 13:51:12 )
Normal is overrated. It's normal to have invasive thoughts, especially morbid ones. But I suggest meditation if you feel a need to take a break.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 13:53:25 )
@RainbowPanda: That's why I avoid seeing people nowadays, I can't stop seeing them without skins >.<

@Glume: My friend doesn't think it's normal to have morbid thoughts about harming somebody or anything like that really, so thank you for telling me that she's wrong and meditation, you say?

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:02:00 )

@Vesta Rose: haha

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:08:42 )
@RainbowPanda: It's why I started swiping left to all of the guys on Tinder, even the guys who I found attractive before, I can't unsee the flesh. LOL

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:12:23 )
@Vesta Rose: EVERYONE has thoughts like these, they're really not a big deal. Your mind is YOUR sanctuary, anything that happens inside is your business. Just because someone has morbid thoughts doesn't mean they will act on them, and a lot of the times its a subconscious thing. Your brain is set up to protect itself from worst-case scenarios and part of that is sometimes random creepy imagery or scary thoughts.
Meditation is helpful for me, because you can just STOP thinking. It takes a lot of practice to be able to turn it on and off like a switch, bit it does wonders for my anxiety.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:16:20 )
@Glume: Ooo, I'd like to try that sometimes, I just have no idea how to do it. How does one meditate exactly?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:23:59 )
@Vesta Rose: There are lots of techniques, and probably some good varieties online... but my go-to to start was to think of a simple shape... and concentrate on just that. It was helpful to have some bland music in the background. Eventually I was able to concentrate on nothing and hold that non-thought for quite some time. I stared for about 15 minutes at a time and worked my way up, but if its hard try for 5. I'm up to 45 minutes before I become too antsy. You wont be able to clear your mind completely at first, and that is ok. Practice makes perfect.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:31:33 )
@Glume: I might try that tomorrow, but knowing me I'll probably start thinking of deeply philosophical and existential problems after 20-30 seconds, just being honest. Do you have any tips on how not to get distracted/not get antsy?

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:41:02 )
@Vesta Rose: You absolutely will get those thoughts, and its ok :D For me, it was all about finding the right technique. Google or Youtube can be helpful. The best advice is to just not let the distractions be discouragements. Sometimes those thoughts need to surface in order to be moved past.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:41:04 )

@Vesta Rose: oh my goodness that's actually sad and scary

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:48:21 )
@Glume: We could apply the ironic process theory which hypothesizes that that trying to not to think about something will just make us think about that thing more. So I could try just letting go and being free and not try so hard to suppress those thoughts.. do you think that could work?

@RainbowPanda: At least I don't hear the voices in my head anymore, but yeah this is pretty sad

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 15:59:11 )
@Vesta Rose: Thats precisely why I had to start off not by thinking of nothing, but by thinking of a simple shape. That way, I'm not exactly trying to avoid certain thoughts at all, Im just re-enforcing a solid blue circle in my minds eye (or perhaps try repeating a phrase if you're not good at visualization). When I waver, I usually don't notice until I'm deep in some weird thought, but I just re-direct back as soon as I realize.
Other techniques include things like staring at a candles flame, concentrating on your breathing or even advanced breathing techniques (I have not personally looked into that last one, but I've heard of some cool results.)

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 16:01:24 )
@Glume: I think I wanna try meditating right now.. who cares if it's 12 AM and I'm all alone in my dark room? I'll update you with my progress.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 16:05:06 )
@Vesta Rose: Perfect time for it! I believe in you.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 16:21:23 )

@Vesta Rose: well that's good

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 16:22:29 )
@RainbowPanda: Yeah, good thing I'm taking meds now.

Donator — King Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 20:32:20 )
@Glume: there is an app that helps with meditation i had it i forget what it was

Donator — King Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/6 20:35:56 )
Found it its called headspace
Dressed as goblins!
Do it all again!
See the friends all again!

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.