Already a Voltie? Sign in!

Escape to Voltra!

Join for free
Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 03:56:37 )
Because I want more mushrooms (I need that hair/ear combo), I'm going to be posting a lot while I have this 24-hour internet pass. I sprung for the $7...

Tell me, Volties. What are your thoughts on HAES? HAES stands for the "Health At Every Size" movement

What do you think about this movement? Is it helpful, harmful? Is there health at every size? I'll wait to post my personal anecdote concerning it.

Brought up because I believe I'm about to get defriended on facebook.

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 03:58:21 )

@Pixel: Hi, not entirely sure what that is, but uh im here to chat and help you get mushrooms

Donator — He/Him Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:00:24 )
Never heard of the movement. o: I mean technically it isn't healthy to be morbidly obese or severely underweight. But if you're like... a bit on either side of the scale, I'd say you can be healthy like that!

Ping me!

Hangout

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:07:02 )
The movement itself is used to put that up to and including morbid obesity can be healthy. If you want to look it up, I'd... Avoid tumblr.

RainbowPanda:

@Pixel: Hi, not entirely sure what that is, but uh im here to chat and help you get mushrooms

Yaaassss, delicious mushrooms. That hair is life.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:35:23 )
Time for my personal anecdote:
I hate HAES with an ever-loving passion. I wasn't even that fat by most standards of HAES. I was just over 200lbs. Less than 20lbs away from morbidly obese at my height (5'2", female). Hell, I'm considered 'small fat' to the movement, actual term I was called. I was having heart palpitations since my super late teens to early 20s. So bad, I was put on a portable heart monitor multiple times. My actual diet itself was apparently so bad that I gave myself ulcers. I was vomiting blood. The 200lbs mark came after days of being able to hold down nothing. I couldn't even hold down sips of water. Had to go to the ER a few times over this.

Literally the only issues were my weight (heart) and general diet (ulcers). I gave up acids/spicy food for the ulcers. Doc didn't even mention my weight. Acids meant cutting out soda/etc. I was wary, and wanted the vomiting blood to go away, so I just stuck with regular unflavored, uncarbonated water. I didn't replace it with anything else for fear I'd mess up an agitate my stomach... No juices, carbonated water, coffee, veg smoothie, anything.

I lost 20lbs really damned quickly. I was so confused. How the fuck.

I googled it. Calories are a thing? Oh. The soda. I never drank diet. Ever. Ever. I had multiple sodas a day... Easily 550-800 calories worth during work shifts alone. Not to mention on way or at home. Or the juice! I drank so much cranberry juice! I never looked at sugar added, the calories, anything... I'd have the full jug while at work. Not for any health reason, I just really liked juice. But jesus.

I just kept up with it.

As I lost weight... My heart issue completely disappeared. I've not had an issue for nearing two years now. I've maintained my weight for over a year now, roughly in the same area.

The doc never mentioned that could help my heart. I did notice "Obesity" was added onto my medical issues at one point, but he never brought it up. Ever.

I actually had to ASK that get removed from my personal medical issues file before my surgery last year.

Nothing like a 105lb girl asking to have obesity removed from her file. My nurses were so confused.

But again. Nobody ever mentioned to me that trying to lose weight would have helped my heart problems. That my diet was the likely culprit to my ulcer issue (happened before). To change anything. I'd asked around, as my doc recently retired... He'd gotten complaints from patients for bringing it up. He tries not to unless absolutely necessary. And I mean, MAJOR complaints and upheavals, in a major hospital for the area. Wasn't good day.

I hate HAES. I feel like how the movement itself is pushing things is NOT healthy. It is making things worse. It is trying to make it okay to be WHATEVER size, and claim it is healthy, even if it clearly isn't. I know people who spout HAES, but can't get up a flight of stairs without getting extremely winded. One flight. Nothing wrong with them but their weight.

There are those with good points. A bit over, a bit under. It can vary person to person, yes. Muscle-y people are an outlier, yes. But that is a bit into semantics. But there is a point where you can't say Health At Every Size; if it is used to be saying HEALTH at EVERY size to mean Good health... No... No..

Voltie — She/Her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:46:30 )

@Pixel: Yas ouo ik
Anywho how's it goin

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:46:58 )
And then on the other hand, I constantly have coworkers who think it appropriate to tell me to eat a sandwich.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:48:33 )
RainbowPanda:

@Pixel: Yas ouo ik
Anywho how's it goin

I miss having internet.

And this Xfinity pass is slow. D: So slow I can't make another topic easily. /made a coworker a huge meal as thanks for something he did

It is beautiful, and I can't even post it. Ffft.

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 04:52:00 )
SirLionelNigelConrad:
@Pixel: you did get fucking skinny. I like to think they want to be helpful, even if they aren't. Though if they are being rude fuck em.

I'm in m'healthy range for my height. D; Looked worse than it was because of loose skin. Still have some, but it is MUCH better.

They never even saw me when I was heavy. I had to show them my old ID!

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 12:45:34 )
I don't know much about the movement itself, but I agree with those of you that say there is no way every size could be healthy... and I think one should definitely stay in touch with their personal health.
BUT I recommend googling "athletes body types". There are ways to be healthy and big, and some people really are just built bigger.
If they're trying to make it acceptable to have different body types, that's one thing... but its seriously dangerous to imply "you're probably super healthy, don't ever worry."

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 13:25:26 )
We all have a start out healthy weight for our heights. And it’s not over 200lbs. I’m not saying people who are overweight aren’t still beautiful but they can’t claim health when they don’t live health.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 13:44:23 )
@SirLionelNigelConrad: Thats well put, and I completely agree.
The sad part is the shame behind having certain issues often prevents the dialogue between patient and doctor that could lead to better health. My mother used to be overweight and had health problems as a result, and whenever the doctors told her this, the shame radiated off of her, she was driven to tears, and she just stopped bringing up the symptoms. The doctors were no help in making it feel shameful to have these problems... of course that was due to the seriousness of the issue, but thats hard for someone in a fragile emotional state to comprehend, and the life changes needed seem so drastic at first.
So... I can appreciate the idea of making it easier to talk about but agree that there needs to be a middle ground... like an "its ok that this is where you are at, but there are actions you can take to make things much easier to live" sort of thing.

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 13:58:47 )
@Elithiya: Yes to everything you just said.
Heck, I used to cry myself to sleep at night as a preteen because I thought I was fat... but had absolutely no reason to other than "fat=bad" and everyone I knew was smaller than me. I was 6ft tall in middle school, of course everyone was smaller than me!

Donator — she/they Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 14:13:19 )
@Elithiya: I just decided to enjoy being an alien to everyone :p confidence is power.
Ping me, Devil Daddy, ping me.

Donator — They/Them Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 17:41:43 )
If someone is happy with their weight then fine, they 're happy with it. But sometimes health issues can occur due to being severely underweight or overweight. That's just reality. My family has a history of issues that are triggered by obesity or made worse with. Right now someone I know, who has sleep apnea, has become worse due to his weight gain.

I wish healthcare professionals were more sensitive regarding weight though. Never experienced it myself but when you have your family doctor, or any healthcare professional, being really rude about your weight then I can see how that's counter productive, shamey and otherwise upsetting. You can't not respect someone just bc they're a certain weight and decide you can be condescending and unprofessional.
call me grem
they/them

Donator — She/her Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/4 17:58:37 )

I agree with what people are saying in this thread. I had never heard about HAES before now but that's not healthy.
But I also would never fat shame someone. I think that's wrong. I'm always up for encouraging peop,e to want to make healthy choices and I will totally help them out on that journey. I think as well people have to learn that things aren't black and white. It's not super obese to thin and healthly over night. It's not either eat junk or only eat veggies. Plenty of people who eat well have dessert too they just make other healthly choices during the day. I still eat hamburgers once in a while but I also workout and don't drink soda. I know that I should be eating more veggies though. I don't eat enough throughout the week.

There are simple things to start doing. Cut down or cut out soda. Drink more water. Goes for a walk everyday, can't do that. Do some jumping jacks. Look at labels and try to eat more whole foods instead of processed ones. It's small steps are changes at a time. Don't beat yourself up when you have a cookie. I love cookies. Lol

By Ghost
https://www.threads.net/@hannahfoll____
Discord: Totalanimefan
@me
I'm friendly and will chat with anyone!

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 14:35:11 )
I wanted to add a little tidbit.

In HAES movement... I, being at the lower range of healthy (but still healthy) for my height/weight, am told that I'm absolutely not healthy, I need to eat a sandwich, all kinds of shit. I'm often told to gain weight by people I know who support to HAES movement.

Thoughts?

Voltie Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 14:55:26 )
Sandwich made entirely of iron (I'm anemic). xD Maybe. But I already take supplements. Passed out during a week-through meeting at work with one of the accounts I hold... Aye... Making sure I don't slack again.
Also Pixel on Solia.

Donator Posted 6 years ago ( 2018/05/5 14:59:36 )
I have never heard of this thing before, but I think it's harmful to kid people about how their weight affects their health. Be happy and love your body sure, but health shouldn't be ignored. I am an unhealthy weight, I have been for quite a while, and there's no pretending it doesn't affect my health. My aim is to put on weight because even if it doesn't personally bother me to be skinny, I can see the negative effects it has on my physical health. Denial is quite strong in some people though.

currently: new novel who dis?

q u e s t i n g :
beanie doll! thank u cookie

You must be logged in to post

Login now to reply
Don't have an account? Sign up for free!
Having you as a Voltie would be awesome.